Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings

Talking Greetings

Please allow me to introduce myself, I am 65, have just returned from 25 years working and living overseas in various countries, working for the DOD. I do Ammo QA and explosive safety. During my time abroad I was not able to use all the stereo components I had purchased in the late seventies and early eighties and was forced to use a small compact system by Pioneer. As I have begun to unpack things and get acquainted with the vast resources available via internet concerning stereo equipment I discovered a resurgence in the popularity of our beloved JBL speakers. I own a pair of L100 Century's purchased in 1973. They survived the storage very well and are in excellent condition. I love these babies and am going to place them in the bedroom of my home. I would like anyone who chooses to give me their opinion on the best, all-around, used, JBL speakers I could purchase for $1500.00 to $1800.00. I have not really kept up with the market and dont really have the time to do the research so I thought that you-all might share your expertise and experience with me. I sure would appreciate if you-all would take the time to share your opinion with me. Thanks.

You do Explosive Ordance Disposal and you can still hear?

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm afraid you have opened a big Can O' Worms with your question.
    Listen to as many as you can and decide for yourself. We all have opinions and you know what that means. Any Vintage JBL of course or build your own. The knowledge base available here is amazing.

Good hunting,

Don M
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

jtgyn

Slam!!

G'Day AmmoGuru,
    Welcome!

"You do Explosive Ordance Disposal and you can still hear?" Quotes Don..

But I bet he knows about SLAM!

Regards Scott

Quote Originally Posted by jtgyn
    G'Day AmmoGuru,
    Welcome!

"You do Explosive Ordance Disposal and you can still hear?" Quotes Don..

But I bet he knows about SLAM!

Regards Scott

I dont' actually do EOD, as in, place the charges, push the handle, I do the supervision, monitoring of the process and ensure compliance with regulation. 4 weeks in an artillery, 8" guns, firebasebase, long ago and far away about took care of my hearing but if I can get the volume on the music high enough it dosen't matter, the ringing blends in with the sound

Welcome

So you want vintage or New???? What ever it is you should try to audition a pair before you take the plunge.

Rob

Due to your statements about your background and likely state of hearing loss ;

I'd recommend some sort of system using the following components ;

(i) a 2235H Woofer , a good solid bass woofer , which you'll definately always feel if not always perceive it's quality & nuances ,

(ii) a compression driver on a horn, such as a le85 ( even 2426 ) or 375 on a 2312 or 2311. These are perhaps not the most nuanced of all midrange devices - but given your past this will offer up the best musical articulation if you need to maintain higher listening levels. What levels do you want ? ( Go to radio shack / buy an SPL meter / take some measurements & get back to us ).

(iii) A compression loaded tweeter for over top of the horn, I think the 2405 / 077 is the only reasonable HiFi matchup. Dependant on your UHF hearing loss - a 2402 / 075 might do the job just as well .

- Now, the above 3-way describes a modified L300 ( with the original 136a woofer upgraded to a 2235H ) using the choice of the smaller compression driver model . All these component parts (excluding crossovers) are frequently available on eBay / if you want to go the DIY route .

I'd suggest a pair of 250Ti.

Seconded....or XPL200 if you can find them...

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by Don C
    I'd suggest a pair of 250Ti.

Welcome to Lansing Heritage Ammoguru.

The price range you have quoted means that at least 90% of all of the products ever produced by JBL are within it on the used market. As others have indicated, it would help if you could narrow down the range of available options by stating any personal requirements and preferences. I would suggest that you begin with your potential listening room (layout, dimemsions and potential speaker placement). Any restrictions on speaker system size would also help. The type of music you listen to would provide guidance as would any preferences for specific sonic attributes. For example, is ultimate output and dynamics a priority over maximally flat frequency response? With input like this, I think you will find numerous suggestions from our members to get you started.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Obsolete

Greetings

JBL 4430

Quality time spent with 203mm guns negates the need for UHF.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Yeah, I was with artillery in the USMC too and between working a NASCAR pit crew, being an avid handgun shooter, riding straight pipe Harley's and being a Disco DJ it's a wonder I can hear at all.

As long as everyone is jumping in;
    I own a pair of L100s that are pretty good and picked up a pair of L100t3 for $350 that have got to be the greatest bargin in Audio. For my HT/music system I have built my own over the years. I keep adding on and changing everything around. If you are handy that would be the way to go. Earl Ks sugguestions are right on.

The 250ti or 4400 series are really popular choices and rightfully so. It doesn't get any better thn those.

Most of us here treat our JBLs like kids. It's a labor of love and the pursuit of perfection is the hook that keeps me at it. I am in love with the journey itself.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mascali
    Most of us here treat our JBLs like kids.
    I keep sending my JBLs off to college and not one has come back as a pair of Wilson Audios or a...

As Don McRitchie said if you are able to spend between 1 and 2 grand you shouldn't have any problems finding a great pair of speakers... Alabama might be an issue. You may have to deal with shipping which is always a chore with large speakers. If you don't mind a road trip it seems quite a few JBLs have ended up in Florida.

As for choices??? Despite the JBL image of "West Coast Sound", they have really produced speakers for virtually every taste and aesthetic style.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    Welcome to Lansing Heritage Ammoguru.

The price range you have quoted means that at least 90% of all of the products ever produced by JBL are within your price range on the used market. As others have indicated, it would help if you could narrow down the range of available options by stating any personal requirements and preferences. I would suggest that you begin with your potential listening room (layout, dimemsions and potential speaker placement). Any restrictions on speaker system size would also help. The type of music you listen to would provide guidance as would any preferences for specific sonic attributes. For example, is ultimate output and dynamics a priority over maximally flat frequency response? With input like this, I think you will find numerous suggestions from our members to get you started.
    Don thanks for the starting point,

I listen mainly to rock, country and classic with some acoustical guitar thrown in. My room is 20' x 28' with 10' ceilings, no trey. The floors are hardwood and the walls and ceilings are 3/4" drywall so the room is pretty "bright" or I guess you could say "hard".

I plan to power the speakers with 1250 marantz intigrated amp, RMS 125 watts per channel, 2 channel. I am leaning toward flat frequency response as a priority sonic attribute colored with a touch of dynamics. I have been reading the literature I could find and it seems as tho 4435's-4343's or ti250classic's might be a good choice BUT I have never heard them--so I am back to folks opinions.

I would narrow it to the 250Tis or the 4435s. The 250Tis will be a bit more polite, the 4435s will offer a bit more dynamic punch. I would wager you could be quite happy with either.

Widget

Giskard--Absolutely beautiful--both pics

Thread Information