Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers for DIY Heartsfield

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Drivers for DIY Heartsfield

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I joined after reading some great information posted by others and learned alot about the JBL product line.

I am planning building my own Heartsfield speakers and have a few questions on drivers.
    Currently my planned driver lineup is: D130, 2441 (or 2440 w/ w2441 diaphragm), and 075 tweeter. Crossovers: 3115 and N7000

My first question: Will the D130 be a good fit to replace the 150-4C or is there a better option for the bass driver? I have done a bit of research and have seen it used before in Heartsfields.

Second: Is there a less expensive equivalent to the N7000 crossover? I did some looking around and couldn't find the crossover frequency of the N7000. I assume it is 7kHz.

Third: Are there any cheaper and more available options for the horn and lens used in the Heartsfield? Should I use a different horn and lens than the original since I am not using the 375? (any have a pair to part with?)

Fourth: The 3115 Crossover states to use an 8ohm woofer load and a 16 ohm high frequency load. Can I use a 16ohm woofer? I saw on another JBL data sheet or advert that you can use either an 8 or a 16ohm. Also what should I connect for my amplifier impedance if the crossover is running both an 8 and 16 ohm load?

This is going to be one massive project but I am ready for the challenge!

Thanks for any help
    Matt

Not trying to be a spelling nazi - just a friendly heads up.

I believe they are called Hartsfield speakers - so if you google for info,
    it would be helpful to get the spelling right.

Again, said in all friendliness!

here is a local link to help!

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...hartsfield.htm
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Not trying to be a spelling nazi - just a friendly heads up.

I believe they are called Hartsfield speakers - so if you google for info,
    it would be helpful to get the spelling right.

Again, said in all friendliness!

here is a local link to help!

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...hartsfield.htm
    If my hart was in it, I'd call it a heartsfield too! They are the cutest little things, aren't they?

The d130 has a low q so that mean the suspensions is very dampened. It would work in the Hartsfield I bet. Shoot, it would probably work in anything as horns go. It's a very different driver then the 150. Its curved cone is make to break up so it provides the higher frequencies. My first choice besides the 150 would be a 130a. Back in the days when the Hartsfield was first made the d130, 130, and 150-4c all used the same frame. The 150 had a ring on the mounting flange. But the magnet and frame were identical. Keep in mind this changed with the creation of jbl pro. But as for the other 2, d130 and 130. They were basically the same driver, almost. Same cone but different voice coil and dust cap. The d meant it used an aluminum dust cap and a aluminum voice coil. This made a driver with great mid range and higher mid bass. But no low bass as the d130 had very little excursion.

Sorry for the little driver history and genealogy lesson.

That being said, I'm no expert but I think the d130 will work. It will not give the same results though.

Hope thus helps a bit,
    Nick

Thanks for the help Nick,

I actually just discovered the 130A myself. Never knew it existed. I only knew about the D130 and D130F. The 130A sounds like the ticket based on what you and others have said. Sounds like it is capable of lower frequency response. Now I need to find a pair with original cones! I am willing to bet that most have been re-coned with a D130 kit or equivalent. I did some searching and cant find 130A re-cone kits anywhere.

Matt

[QUOTE=mbeards;350309]Thanks for the help Nick,

I actually just discovered the 130A myself. Never knew it existed. I only knew about the D130 and D130F. The 130A sounds like the ticket based on what you and others have said. Sounds like it is capable of lower frequency response. Now I need to find a pair with original cones! I am willing to bet that most have been re-coned with a D130 kit or equivalent. I did some searching and cant find 130A re-cone kits anywhere.

Matt[/QUOTE

I believe there's a pair on ebay right now. At least there was. Theoretically you could convert a d130 to it by adding 10 grams mass under the dust cap. But I've not tried it.

I'm going to try and make some in the near future. Just for clarification, when jbl pro came to be they change them completely. I think the later 130a and a 2220 were the same. Come yo think of it a jbl 2205a or 2220a would be other good options. Not completely sure the 2205, but I bet money the 2220 would work.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post

I believe there's a pair on ebay right now. At least there was. Theoretically you could convert a d130 to it by adding 10 grams mass under the dust cap. But I've not tried it.

Nick

Just bought that pair! They were cheap and looks like they have been re-coned with the right 130A kits. The ad stated the cones were stamped 21057. I did some quick looking and I think that is the right cone. Any thoughts?

Matt

The E 145 would have been the next best speaker to use other than the 150.

Oldmics

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
    The E 145 would have been the next best speaker to use other than the 150.

Oldmics
    I wish the sensitivity was know for the 150-4c. Because I'd bet they were much higher sensitivity then the 145's. Not to mention the completely different voice coil and gap configuration. I know the 150-4c had a .28 inch deep gap. The 145's are both thicker then that and under hung. I don't know if the 150 was over hung or the same size as the gap depth. Plus there not as easy to find. I'd love to find 4. But that's not going to happen any time soon.

Plus it hard to even get aftermarket parts for them. And jbl left them behind in the 90 s didn't they?

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by mbeards View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I joined after reading some great information posted by others and learned alot about the JBL product line.

I am planning building my own Heartsfield speakers and have a few questions on drivers.
    Currently my planned driver lineup is: D130, 2441 (or 2440 w/ w2441 diaphragm), and 075 tweeter. Crossovers: 3115 and N7000

My first question: Will the D130 be a good fit to replace the 150-4C or is there a better option for the bass driver? I have done a bit of research and have seen it used before in Heartsfields.

Second: Is there a less expensive equivalent to the N7000 crossover? I did some looking around and couldn't find the crossover frequency of the N7000. I assume it is 7kHz.

Third: Are there any cheaper and more available options for the horn and lens used in the Heartsfield? Should I use a different horn and lens than the original since I am not using the 375? (any have a pair to part with?)

Fourth: The 3115 Crossover states to use an 8ohm woofer load and a 16 ohm high frequency load. Can I use a 16ohm woofer? I saw on another JBL data sheet or advert that you can use either an 8 or a 16ohm. Also what should I connect for my amplifier impedance if the crossover is running both an 8 and 16 ohm load?

This is going to be one massive project but I am ready for the challenge!

Thanks for any help
    Matt
    Hi ,
    Nice to join us.
    About mentioned Hartsfield box be aware about the : "...It was a natural fit that Bill Hartsfield would be called upon to develop JBL's version of a corner horn. He was hired on retainer as a consultant to JBL to develop a corner horn speaker....." not to mention how complicated the whole construction would be, but I wish You good luck..
    see plans:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/plans/harts.htm

Regards
    Ivica

Thanks for the info. if the 130A's sound a bit lacking I will try the E145's

Also others may find this interesting: here are some Hartsfield plans I ordered based on CAD drawings of an original!

http://www.audio-kits.com/catalog/it...62/4158237.htm

Good luck finding some. There out there but nowhere near as common as the 130a.

plus you'll lose 4 db in sensitivity. But there supposedly a great driver. Oh and they fetch a bit more, obviously.

In retrospect I'm sorry I didn't think to mention them too. They didn't even cross my mind.

As with any true horn driver, they don't provide well down real low.

Nick

Talking

No problem Nick,

I saw others on the web using D130's with good success (or so they say) so I would imagine that the 130A would be a step up from that.

The last hurtle, from a driver standpoint, is to find some horns and lenses that are not ridiculously expensive!

Any one want a nice guitar as a trade??

Quote Originally Posted by mbeards View Post
    No problem Nick,

I saw others on the web using D130's with good success (or so they say) so I would imagine that the 130A would be a step up from that.

The last hurtle, from a driver standpoint, is to find some horns and lenses that are not ridiculously expensive!

Any one want a nice guitar as a trade??
    This add has been up for a long time on Craigslist in Seattle:
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/3934673946.html
    I've contacted the seller in the past about his horns, but don't recall the price. It was too high at the time.
    I do remember he is a bass player, and was looking for trades.
    If you can work something out, I can help getting them shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    This add has been up for a long time on Craigslist in Seattle:
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/3934673946.html
    I've contacted the seller in the past about his horns, but don't recall the price. It was too high at the time.
    I do remember he is a bass player, and was looking for trades.
    If you can work something out, I can help getting them shipped.

Just contacted the seller. Hopefully he has two of those lens assemblies!

Thanks for the link! It is much appreciated

Matt

Thread Information