Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 375 questions

HI Scott,I also asked the same question but from the home product side,I think it does sound different, I know using larger horns is like night and day,I'm hoping some one can post some of the gap info for the 50's & 60's drivers,some changes were made that did change the sound/part swaping of the 60's to 70's drivers,I did have a voice coil come loose on a 375-glue failed(didnt sound right at low levels) but I caught it before it was damaged and putting glue on a tooth pick did the trick and that was over 10 years ago and still sound fine,at that time I also tryed to put a 2440 dia in this 375 but it wouldnt fit the gap,but it did line up with the alinement pegs -JBLWOLF

Howdy All,At customers requests we have installed all versions of the larger diaphragms into all of the different motors(including some generic replacement diaphragm models)The only items that never quite fit were due to the locating pins being widened at the tops of the pin.This caused the first point of contact with the diaphragms to be snug.I have never experienced a gap that was smaller than the .036 (except in broken units).I believe that if JBLwolf has a driver that he believes to have a unique gap size to please measure the gap and also the locating pins.I also would be curious to see if there is an oddball gap size.Ok Mr. JBLwolf its up to you!!!! Let us know.Best regards,Oldmics

But

It was always told to me that the 2441/2440 driver wewre one and the same! The difference was the diaphragm. When I used one of my 2440 drivers with a 2441 diaphragm in it, the sound was very different from my 2441,s! It was sweeter. Softer sounding! If I had heard more high end off the 2441 vs 2440 I would have attributed that to some degaussing of the magnet!

But the 40 driver just gave the 41 phragm such a nice sound! It wasnt as forward sounding as the 2441. And the two 2395 lenses I got with the 2440 drivers came out of West Point. They had been in the Auditorium system there. They were dated 1973 west point Academy! The dates on the diaphragms matched the paper taped to the conical horn! I opened em up and looked.

Conversely, with the 2440 driver and the 2440 diaphragm I didnt like that sound! I found it a bit too bright for my taste. But I love 41 phragms in these 40 drivers. go figure. thats why I ask what the 50,s and 60,s stuff sounded like.

The only real way to tell whats up with any of the old drivers is with quantifiable analysis tools. Using some sort of frequency producing and capturing device(such as an Iasys) a distortion meter (to assess diaphragm condition) a gaussmeter (to assess the motors magnetic condition)and of course a pin tool or gap gauge set.Fun stuff!!!! Best regards,Oldmics

Hi Scott,

I replaced the diaphragms in a pair of 70's vintage 2440 drivers with 2441s and as Oldmics said, I had to ream out the guide pin holes as they were too snug to fully seat. Once fully seated the drivers were swept with an oscillator to insure no rubbing and then they were a pair 2441s.

Widget

OH MAN, I just finished putting all this stuff together in the last few months,last week I finishing the last set of 375's,but now you got me wondering about this odd ball thing,at this point I cant bring myself to pull them all apart again,(not good for my blood pressure)but the next time I do,I'll gap them and see what I have-WOLF

Hi Wolf
    I agree, it's WAAAY more fun to enjoy the music than to analyse it .
    - That's my excuse for the slow pace of getting beyond building test enclosures for my MTM project

( Good looking system in your avatar )

regards <> Earl K
    Last edited by Earl K; 06-21-2003 at 11:32 AM.

JohnH
    Further regarding the 2440/2441. I read that the throat screens in these degrades the sound, that they are only there for outdoor use. If so, can the screens be removed without removing the throat horn or other major surgery? Can it just be pulled out?

HI Earl,as for the avatar pic I have since added a second 077(on top),I played around with all kinds of combos,2 075's,1 075-1 077,up,down and around around before I got to using 2 077,they sounded the best to me,the room they are in is 28'by34' with 8' ceiling,the rear channels use the le15 537-500 horns with 2 075's,that Im still playing around with.and I fully agree with you about it's way more fun listening than testing but sometimes to get there you have to analyse to get to the fun,
    To John H,I wouldnt mess with the screen,its there for a reason and on a final note,I have some screens that are flat and some that are domed,I was going to ask another question about the dome vs flat screen but,I'm going to leave that alone and set back and enjoy some listening for awhile,Best Regards to ALL-WOLF

Thumbs up BIG MASHERS

Hi jblwolf
    537-500s , now there's a unique horn/lense . In the last 3 years I've only seen 3 pair come up for sale on eBay ( from this continent ) .

JohnH ; bug screen removal ? I wouldn't do it. There are a myriad of things or changes that will accomplish more sonic enhancement than screen removal. ie ; playing around with different horns/ ( BIG CHANGES there ), looking for nuanced changes as found by swapping out different types of capacitors-inductors from the playback chain / different electronics / room treatments / etc. . Bug screen removal on a 375 would be non-reversable unless done during a complete dismantling/demagging of the driver at the factory . I'm not saying there isn't something to it. I just know its way,way, low on my own list of "must try this" . Also, I've never seen that "mod" enhance the resale value when such a device is resold on eBay - in fact , just the opposite. The lowest dollar value, TAD 2001 sale I've tracked, was on just such a beast. Just my opinion .

regards <> Earl K

Thread Information