Thread: Second JBL ;?) "Houston, we have a winner!"

Second JBL ;?) "Houston, we have a winner!"

Thanks for your comments on my new (to me) 4313s last week. I set them aside for awhile -- generally thinking they were improved in the B version, and pondering what I want to do to get the midrange right.

BUT, on Friday the FedEx guy delivered the 2nd JBL installment: 4425s.My understated response: "Wow!" Seriously, the best 2-way to ever travel to the 'man cave'. They won't be going anywhere from here.The music comes from everywhere! And, exactly the right 'sweet spot': lower, mid, upper, sitting, standing, adjacent room, ............... ;?) Incredible!

Will talk with the estate sale guy in sunny California later today about the L220s. If I confirm the drivers are all original, I'll probably go for the $800. Shipping will likely be another $300. $1100 -- that's not too bad, do you think?

The next stop after that: 4333s? That will take some time, so I'm prepared to be patient. Right now, I'll be surprised if I can drag anything through the door that will top the 4425s! Did I mention that I really like them?! ;?)

Hooked on JBL -- as of Friday.

Greg

PS Why do I have a burning desire to buy these 'puppies' and ask questions later?

!http://www.ebay.com/itm/141014602617...ht_6004wt_1302

Questions? Yes, you know ..... insignificant ones, such as, "Did JBL ever build a speaker around these gems?"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cool L-200

Quote Originally Posted by cgregory4 View Post

PS Why do I have a burning desire to buy these 'puppies' and ask questions later?

!http://www.ebay.com/itm/141014602617...ht_6004wt_1302

Questions? Yes, you know ..... insignificant ones, such as, "Did JBL ever build a speaker around these gems?"
    L-200 used the short foghorns. I like the longer ones better, think L-300!

4425's can really change your perspective. CD does that. Last pair I saw was on a sound stage, filling the room with great sound for about 50-60 people. From 15 feet up.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

If the 4425 trips your trigger, you should be looking for 4430 or the holy grail, 4435.

Greg you are in full blown addiction. There is no cure. You can only feed it more speakers, so have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cgregory4 View Post
    Why do I have a burning desire to buy these 'puppies' and ask questions later?
    do your homework before "pulling the trigger" , there were some duds, and some different "personalities" ie: not all JBLs have
    "the JBL sound"
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

SEAWOLF & Wardsweb

WOLF -- Yes. Your brief, courteous response to my second 4313 caused me to rethink my perspective on this JBL trip. I'm 65, but I've been silly as a goose. It has been quite a while since I have been this excited about any part of this passion we call audio.

Two things are clear: First, the amount of information on the Lansing Heritage site is staggering -- both the Library, as well as the forum discussions. Second, and probably more important, is the depth of knowledge, as well as the cordiality of the forum members. When I reread 4313B's post on my first thread, I completely missed the reference to him actually visiting with the speaker designer! Then, I looked briefly at the 20 page thread on various monitors and designs. Simply unbelievable.

Actually, those observations make me painfully aware of a third reality: my depth of 'duh'! ;?)

Wardsweb -- You are absolutely 'spot on'! I am truly 'smitten'! ;?)

But, I've figured out that I've been going about this process 'bass ackward', so to speak. I've been fortunate: 2 JBL speakers purchased -- and they are 2 'keepers'. I can't expect to continue that sort of success in the future, unless I 'check my hold card' first ... here in this site, with this expertise. In Texas parlance, I choose to heed the counsel of the forum: "Ask questions first! And shoot later!" ;?)

Thanks to all!

Greg

Thread Information