Thread: JBL HLS Series

Question JBL HLS Series

4 days agao I found a pair of JBL HLS610 speakers on Ebay and they are in excellent condition but are these speakers good? I remember Best Buy use to have them 11 years agao and I see that they were popular speakers for the price they cost. Are there people who still use these kind of speakers today? I was wondering how you guys think the HLS series sound to you.

Good is a relative term, of course...

They were a fairly entry level offering from JBL. Never had a pair myself, but they seem prone to tweeter failure.

Do a forum search on "HLS" and I think you'll get a pretty good understanding of consensus on this series.

What's the asking price?

Well I got them for $107 with shipping. Anyways are you saying that the tweeters aren't that great or durable? I did see alot of good reviews on the JBL HLS610 model on audioreview.com website but I was just wondering what you guys think about the series. Also I wonder if people today still like the series and still use them for there music or movies. I would like feedback from people who has listen to the HLS series or people who owns them. Thanks

I' am going to use them for music and for my notebook pc. I have a Sherwood RX-4109 stereo receiver and I have a cord so I can connect my receiver to my PC or iPod. I won't be using them for movie theater at all so I don't need more than one pair of speakers.

By the way the speakers are coming to my house this friday and I hope I will enjoy them.

+
    Good, but unbalanced bass output for the specs/size which matches some people's likes very well

Poly woofer with rubber surround that holds up well over time

Can be had dirt cheap and still look pretty modern

Built well enough (though not great) to hold up if taken care of

Full series offering means you can have matched towers, bookshelfs, and center. Common enough to be cheap.

-
    Far cry from offering the fidelity or build quality of earlier or more expensive JBL offerings (very cheap crossovers, $1 tweeter, easily damaged vinyl)

Weak tweeter and crossover are prone to failure with long term high power. It's a tiny Audax mylar tweeter and is crossed over rather low. Makes them relatively easy to damage.

-----------------------------------------------

My personal opinion is $100 is too high and could be spent much better on local buy options. L20's or L1's usually go for that amount and are a far superior speaker imho.

But, there are also much worse speakers out there to buy for $100, and local options are impossible to compare easily because each market is so much different.

For near field use, the high bass output may actually work out well, while the lower volume requirements should erase any worries about the tweeter. I think you'll be quite happy with them.
    JBL doesn't want to sell you Performance Series speakers.

Hmmm this is very interesting. If the HLS series are built that cheap and not durable I wonder why on audioreview.com or other sites have mostly great reviews on them. Are you sure that the HLS series are built that bad and very cheap? I' am starting to wonder if my new speakers are not going to last that long. I really hope that the HLS610 aren't that cheap made and that bad. But if the HLS series are that bad then the speakers would be rated very low or poor on websites come to think of it.

Edirol

is the superior choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Slare View Post
    +
    Good, but unbalanced bass output for the specs/size which matches some people's likes very well

Poly woofer with rubber surround that holds up well over time

Can be had dirt cheap and still look pretty modern

Built well enough (though not great) to hold up if taken care of

Full series offering means you can have matched towers, bookshelfs, and center. Common enough to be cheap.

-
    Far cry from offering the fidelity or build quality of earlier or more expensive JBL offerings (very cheap crossovers, $1 tweeter, easily damaged vinyl)

Weak tweeter and crossover are prone to failure with long term high power. It's a tiny Audax mylar tweeter and is crossed over rather low. Makes them relatively easy to damage.

-----------------------------------------------

My personal opinion is $100 is too high and could be spent much better on local buy options. L20's or L1's usually go for that amount and are a far superior speaker imho.

But, there are also much worse speakers out there to buy for $100, and local options are impossible to compare easily because each market is so much different.

For near field use, the high bass output may actually work out well, while the lower volume requirements should erase any worries about the tweeter. I think you'll be quite happy with them.
    Come to think of it I guess I did see some people complain about the tweeters get blown out but most reviews I saw didn't say the tweeters always get blown. Have you tested these speakers out and found this information out? Just wondering.

They'll be fine for your PC use.

The reason the reviews you read are so favorable is that they're usually written by the owners who sometimes have a vested interest in boosting the image of what they are trying to sell, or to make themselves feel good about what they own. At the very least it's a kind of cognitive dissonance where we make ourselves believe what we want to.

Let us know what you think, and what you've heard to compare to them.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Originally bought a couple sets for my brother's ht system and he isn't picky They are in a back room not being used , sounded like driver not installed in a cabinet. He has L7 and L5 now for 600 for both sets and he never even turns up at all but he is very happy

If you decide you like the series I would bet I could get you a deal on his

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

When they came out Audio Magazine reviewed the 610's and basically said they were shockingly good for an inexpensive speaker. I think they even said that they were the least expensive speaker that they would consider capable of true high end sound. For a while they had a little bit of a cult following. In my opinion they are a very good speaker and are capable of a level of transparency that is found in more expensive speakers. I've had a pair for years and even drove them pretty hard at times and never had a tweeter failure. Even though the L20T and 18Ti speakers were built better I think the 610 is actually a better sounding speaker. It's more transparent and more natural. I wouldn't feel bad about paying $100 for a pair in nice shape but you can get them for less sometimes.

Mike

jandregg
    I was looking for some small bedroom speakers at the time the 610 came out. The reviews felt it was a good buy for the buck so I put it on my list and went shopping. Listened to a lot of speakers at high fi stores and eventualy bought a different speaker. But the 610 made it to the final cut and ultimately came down to personal choice. It could have been 610 that got bought, very close choice.

john

I am looking for both pair of 610 & 615 grills with good pegs if anyone has some fs. Cloth is ok if it is torn anywhere, I can get new fabric. Please PM if you do. Also, what tweeter and x-over setup would be an upgrade to replace the cheap ones that are in there now?

Thread Information