Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL OEM: Made by JBL for Others

JBL made both large and small format compression drivers for RCA in the late 1960s and 1970s. I think they were basically 175s and 375s, but had different back covers and were painted a dark "Midnight blue."

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    I'm not aware of a 2245 based sub, but I did hear the 2235H Samson and Delilah X-over in the late 80's and thought it was the best sub I had heard to date - better than JBL's own B380. In the subwoofer market, you can also add Janis to the list. I believe the original SW-1 from the mid 70's used a JBL LE15A. A current manufacturer that uses JBL drivers is the Italian Zingali company.

If you add pro sound companies to the mix, the list is endless
    Wow, I had a Janis SW-1, thought it was terrible. I remember having to take the bottom off the cabinet to repair some flood damage, and the driver was some cheap-framed 15". Maybe someone was in there before I got it & swapped speakers.

The x-over/amp from that Janis combo (Interphase A?) is heading for e-bay any day now, if anyone's interested in it.

je

Dukane 5A540?

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    JBL Consumer

MODEL (LIST) KIT DOME GASKET A-T-R NOTES WEIGHT

5A350 $234.00 D16R2410 - - 1-O-6 Dukane
    5A355 $244.00 D16R2421 - - 1-O-6 Dukane
    5A360 $204.00 D16R2440 - - 1-O-6 Dukane
    5A395HF - No Longer Avail. - - 1-O No Longer Avail. Dukane
    5A415HF - No Longer Avail. - - 1-O No Longer Avail. Dukane
    5A415LF - No Longer Avail. - - 1-O-8 No Longer Avail. Dukane
    5P350 $204.00 D16R2440 - - 1-O-4 Dukane
    5P355 $242.00 D16R2470 - - 1-O-4 Dukane
    5P360 $204.00 D16R2440 - - 1-O-4 Dukane

Rob
    I don't see the 5A540 in there, I have a pair of working ones on 2345 horns. Came with cracked D16R2420 dias, figured a pair of aftermarket titaniums was called for...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Jim Lansing by Ampex

Not to be nit picky here, but the drivers labeled like this were actually made by Ampex under license from JBL. They made several drivers and at least the large potato mashers for theater systems.

Widget

franz

Peavey

Hi,

add the K 130 to the list which was made for Peavey guitar cabs. It might as well be a D 130. Im not sure about that.
    I have one of these with a Peavy decal and believe this to be pretty rare.
    Maybe I can post a pic if anyone is interested.
    It seems JBL did OEM products for very reasonable prices at that time.

BTW I wanna thank Steve Shell for his profound and knowledgeable postings !! He´s a wealth of good information for all of us. Thanks !

greets

Franz

Peavey

Quote Originally Posted by franz
    Hi,

add the K 130 to the list which was made for Peavey guitar cabs.

greets

Franz
    AND add the D140 for Peavey too.
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

the kustom sidewinder tuck and roll guitar amp uses a d130f.

The big,portable Leslie organ speaker,925, I believe, also used a branded 140 for the bottom and 2440 for the top...

TimG

Zingali

Although Zingali speakers used JBL drivers in the past, and pictures of past products using JBL 2234/5H woofers can be found with a google image search, the current products use B&C drivers, 15TBX100, 12TBX100, and DE500 compression drivers. If I had to guess at the manufacturer of the drivers in the smaller models I would guess Ciare since they produce a lot of OEM drivers.

http://www.zingali.it/images/company/research-1-big.jpg

High Fidelity House 375

Spotted in an ebay auction, a bubbleback 375 labeled as "James B Lansing Model HFH-2b Impedance 16 ohms Specially Designed for High-Fidelity House". The name plate is the same engraved black/white plastic laminate as used on the first 3000-4000 375s made. Included in the auction is an associated 075 with a the serial number 22880. The plastic nameplate and 075 serial number would seem to date this to sometime around the late 50's or very early 60's.
    Does anyone know about High-Fidelity House?
    glen

375 labelled Westrex T530-A by JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    I seem to recall we also still made a few special items for Western Electric at the time (60's).
    Maybe like this Westrex "T530-A made in USA for Westrex by James B. Lansing Sound Inc."
    glen

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    Spotted in an ebay auction, a bubbleback 375 labeled as "James B Lansing Model HFH-2b Impedance 16 ohms Specially Designed for High-Fidelity House". The plastic nameplate and 075 serial number would seem to date this to sometime around the late 50's or very early 60's.
    Does anyone know about High-Fidelity House?
    If I recall correctly, High-Fidelity House was a fairly good dealer in Pasadena, on Colorado Blvd.

Glen, I believe that High Fidelity House was a hi fi dealer in Pasadena, CA in the 1950s. I saw some of their literature on ebay just recently.

Those Westrex 375s may have been among the first built. As John Eargle has told us the story, Mr. John Frayne of Westrex Corporation visited JBL President William Thomas in the early 1950s. He was toting a Western Electric 594A field coil 4" diaphragm compression driver, built in the late 1930s. He asked Thomas if JBL could build a permanent magnet version of this driver for the Westrex sound systems built for export. Thomas leaned out his office door and said "Bart, could you come here a minute?" Bart Locanthi entered the office, was told of the request and said "Yes, I think so." Production of the 375 commenced soon after.

Ampex also used 375s in their theatre systems when they became available, and JBL began using them in the Hartsfield in 1954.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Glen, I believe that High Fidelity House was a hi fi dealer in Pasadena, CA in the 1950s. I saw some of their literature on ebay just recently.
    Thanks for the tip, search turned up another connection, in 1975 Harman-Kardon sued B&O AND High Fidelity House for patent infringement over linear tracking turntables, settled in 1976 when B&O bought the patents from H-K:
    http://info.usitc.gov/ouii/public/33...4?OpenDocument

Apparently in the mid to late 70's Harman Kardon was marketing linear-tracking turntables based on a Rabco (Jacob Rabinow) design.

Capsule history here:
    http://museum.nist.gov/exhibits/rabi...its/sound.html
    glen

Quote Originally Posted by honist_bob View Post
    "Yes they are OEM JBLs. In the early days (through the 60s actually), JBL made speakers under various OEM arrangements. They made them for Ampex, DuKane, Heath, and probably others. These drivers are identical to stock JBLs with different paint schemes and labels. "

--Zilche's recent post about the oddball Boliviar JBL imitations got me thinking about compiling a list of companys that JBL has made drivers for in the past.
    Such a list might be useful for someone searching Ebay or other auction sites for drivers that are JBL in every aspect except paint and a foilcal.
    Below is what I've picked up from this forum and Ebay recently:
    Perhaps some of you senior, ex-JBL employees can add to the list:

DukDuKane (5A350 driver or JBL Pro 2410)

I was just looking at a JBL 2410 and the back cover is beveled. I have 4 of the old Dukane 5A325 horns (Altec 1005B) and 4 of the Dukane 5A350 drivers and they look like a LE75 (no bevel)with JBL plastic screw covers, to me instead of the 2410.

Thread Information