Thread: It helped, "sorta"

It helped, "sorta"

Wasn't really satisfied with my Century L100's sound, sooo...I pulled the original xovers and replaced them with N50's (from L50's). It has gotten better, but the lf driver seems even boomier than before. I plugged the bass reflex port and that has helped some but the boominess is still quite noticeable. What can I do? Is there a way to make the bass driver less efficient without throwing the rest of the frequency range outta whack. I'm fairly determined to get a better balance from these speakers without going to high dollar mods. Help appreciated

Do you have them off the floor?

If this does not solve your problem here is a second option: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm

Quote Originally Posted by midlife View Post
    What can I do? Is there a way to make the bass driver less efficient without throwing the rest of the frequency range outta whack. I'm fairly determined to get a better balance from these speakers without going to high dollar mods. Help appreciated
    Put them back to stock, sell them, purchase some L112s and pocket the difference!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Wasn't really satisfied with my Century L100's sound, sooo...I pulled the original xovers and replaced them with N50's (from L50's). It has gotten better, but the lf driver seems even boomier than before. I plugged the bass reflex port and that has helped some but the boominess is still quite noticeable. What can I do? Is there a way to make the bass driver less efficient without throwing the rest of the frequency range outta whack. I'm fairly determined to get a better balance from these speakers without going to high dollar mods. Help appreciated
    But they are L100 speakers, thats what they DO - as Zilch used to say, "Fake but fun bass ..."
    Do like Phil says,
    put them back to stock, sell them for premium money,
    and replace them with more realistic speakers!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I got them in vg/excl condition for $300 (non original grille material), shoulda flipped 'em and got 112's or another pair of Horizons. I got a hard head and a bit of work to re-install the original xovers...rrrrrrrrrr!

disengage "loudness" button/switch" , move "bass" knob to "0" ... put them on stands and move away from walls or corners. Don't listen to gansta/hip-hop.

or
    put back to stock , sell and buy something more accurate (NOT Jubals)

My little dining room setup of 18TI's on 24 inch stands with a separate 10 inch powered JBL sub made a very satisfying , well balanced system .
    its almost a full range sat/sub system and now the bass level is customizable.

another pair of Horizons.
    I kind miss mine.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The higher I get them off the floor the less boomy the bass sounds. Can I place them vertically, having the woofer on the top with 1 foot high cabinet risers?

The higher I get them off the floor the less boomy the bass sounds. Can I place them vertically, having the woofer on the top with 1 foot high cabinet risers?
    give it a try , can't hurt anything ....HF may suffer a little ?

try tilting upwards a bit too
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

There's no saving that enclosure, as is. the 123A is a VERY capable woofer but not in that undersized box, and not tuned high like it is.

Like the boys say, revert, sell, and get something less colored.

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    There's no saving that enclosure, as is. the 123A is a VERY capable woofer but not in that undersized box, and not tuned high like it is.

Like the boys say, revert, sell, and get something less colored.
    When used on tall stands putting them at ear level out in the room away from the walls they actually sound pretty good... as in above the meter bridge of the console in a '70s era recording studio.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    When used on tall stands putting them at ear level out in the room away from the walls they actually sound pretty good... as in above the meter bridge of the console in a '70s era recording studio.

Widget
    Yup, that workes nicely, for me too, with my 4411's on 30" stands.

Thread Information