Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with 2235H enclosure design

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I think as long as your connecting "port" between the two cabinets is about the same area as the woofer's cone you should be fine.

Widget
    Thank you. I thought so too. Just thought I'd throw it out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    i SEE 2 issues ....movement for best sound ......and the "PORT"
    design of it....... could be tricky w/2 cavities

I've gone with the JBL recommended toe for a 4343/44...about 15 degrees seems to work best. It images very well. Each driver above the 2235 enclosure could be moved individually. Left/right/forward/backwards. Each piece is a separate unit, more or less. The elevation of the horn with respect to the ear is critical as well and has been considered, hence the strange design..

If my memory serves me correct, I think RobH narrowed his 4343 clone as well and has also messed with stacked modular driver enclosures...

I would put the in-room cabinet under your listening chair, driver facing upward, and add a seat belt.

Just kidding, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post
    I would put the in-room cabinet under your listening chair, driver facing upward, and add a seat belt.

Just kidding, sorry.
    no yer not...lol

Good one. At my age it might just flatten my a$$ to it's former glory..lol

Construction guy, Eh? Ya, me too

Can you stick the whole sub arrangement under the floor ? This has been done many times with good results. Actually a bandpass box would do the trick , then you only need the vents coming above ground.
    Mind you these work truly as subs and not as an integrated bass driver as in 43xx so your bass/mid driver will need to get down there somewhat.
    Guess I need to go look at your piccies , see where you're at.

M

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Can you stick the whole sub arrangement under the floor ? This has been done many times with good results. Actually a bandpass box would do the trick , then you only need the vents coming above ground.
    Mind you these work truly as subs and not as an integrated bass driver as in 43xx so your bass/mid driver will need to get down there somewhat.
    Guess I need to go look at your piccies , see where you're at.

M

Yes, I can do that, however The mid base is a 2122H......not gonna go that far down. The 2122H is currently crossed at 320hz....

Second, It will not be a true 2 channel system in the classic sense. I've toyed with all possibilities I think....

I really want all 4 drivers exposed....however the vents could be done that way. Hmmmm I like it.

I don't really have to plumb to the neatherlands for this system. This is a vintage style build...you could could check my gallery photos if you wish.

I have a pretty elabrate HT theather system for that for that real real deep stuff, in another room.

Thank you for taking the time to relay your thoughts. I'll give the vent/duct idea some thought for sure...

cheers

Thumbs down

Quote: "Construction guy, Eh? Ya, me too."

Sometimes, Yes.

I was/am:

~1961 to Present: Electrical, electronics hobbyist.

1970-1974: Avionice Tech, U.S. Navy

1975 to 2005: Electronics Engineer, Tech, Equipment Installer, Electrician, and/or Electrical Contractor. Final years 2000-2005 as an IBEW Journeyman Inside Wireman (Superpuke)

2005 to Present: Inveterate Tinkerer, Fledgling Wannbee Mad Scientist, Compulsive Audiophile (Vintage). PC Computer/Internet Slave-in-Training. Senior Contemplator

How 'bout you?

dE-

Quote Originally Posted by vanbeek View Post
    Yes, I can do that, however The mid base is a 2122H......not gonna go that far down. The 2122H is currently crossed at 320hz....

Second, It will not be a true 2 channel system in the classic sense. I've toyed with all possibilities I think....

I really want all 4 drivers exposed....however the vents could be done that way. Hmmmm I like it.

I don't really have to plumb to the neatherlands for this system. This is a vintage style build...you could could check my gallery photos if you wish.

I have a pretty elabrate HT theather system for that for that real real deep stuff, in another room.

Thank you for taking the time to relay your thoughts. I'll give the vent/duct idea some thought for sure...

cheers
    I did have a peek at your pics. It all looks very tasty . Without knowing how you are running all of this WRT crossovers you could build a bass cabinet that would be smaller and neater and use a LE10H/ Le111 etc to get you down to where the sub would run out. Remember that JBL had the 2235's changing over at 63Hz in the B380. Le10 will get you there.
    In other words run the 2235's as you would a B380 and create a 4 way for your mains.
    I'll leave it to you to sort out how you would want to run all this but it would allow you to bury the sub box and it would allow you to have a pretty nice looking stack at each side.
    AND you can polish the frame to match. Nice job.

M

PS This assumes that a bandpass box could be implemented to allow only the vents coming above ground level. If it can be done it would provide a very neat solution.
    Look at the TCB boxes for inspiration , anyway the big deal with these is that the drivers are within the cabinet and the sound only emanates via the vents. Others with more experience will chime in if you fancy going this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post
    Quote: "Construction guy, Eh? Ya, me too."

Sometimes, Yes.

I was/am:

~1961 to Present: Electrical, electronics hobbyist.

1970-1974: Avionice Tech, U.S. Navy

1975 to 2005: Electronics Engineer, Tech, Equipment Installer, Electrician, and/or Electrical Contractor. Final years 2000-2005 as an IBEW Journeyman Inside Wireman (Superpuke)

2005 to Present: Inveterate Tinkerer, Fledgling Wannbee Mad Scientist, Compulsive Audiophile (Vintage). PC Computer/Internet Slave-in-Training. Senior Contemplator

How 'bout you?

dE-
    Nice CV.

I'm a construction manager/owner specializing in foundation remediation and engineering. Formally involved in tract housing.

Full time tinkerer/builder, vintage race car owner, vintage audio buff (70s Pioneer/JBL)...former full time sports dad..Hockey, Karate, Go Kart racing

I enjoy creating objects using current technology... waterjet, CNC etc. as a hobby.

Living in Ottawa, Canada which houses the National Research Council and as 'kid', was able to have home built speakers tested by Floyd Toole in the 70s for free there....

Ever heard of him?

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    I did have a peek at your pics. It all looks very tasty . Without knowing how you are running all of this WRT crossovers you could build a bass cabinet that would be smaller and neater and use a LE10H/ Le111 etc to get you down to where the sub would run out. Remember that JBL had the 2235's changing over at 63Hz in the B380. Le10 will get you there.
    In other words run the 2235's as you would a B380 and create a 4 way for your mains.
    I'll leave it to you to sort out how you would want to run all this but it would allow you to bury the sub box and it would allow you to have a pretty nice looking stack at each side.
    AND you can polish the frame to match. Nice job.

M

PS This assumes that a bandpass box could be implemented to allow only the vents coming above ground level. If it can be done it would provide a very neat solution.
    Look at the TCB boxes for inspiration , anyway the big deal with these is that the drivers are within the cabinet and the sound only emanates via the vents. Others with more experience will chime in if you fancy going this way.
    Everything is crossed with a Pioneer D-23 crossover @ 320, 1200, 8000 hz. Quad amped with 2 Pioneer M-22s class A ,for the compression drivers and 2 Pioneer Spec 4s for the 2122H and currently a 123A-3 in an inverted L100 with the duct plugged and the other drivers disconnected. The amps are located in small room in the basement below the rig above.

Your plan was my original idea c/w a BX63/2235H combo hidden and a visually smaller base driver exposed....a 123A-3, but morphed into the idea I have now. A 1.25-1.5 cu ft enclosure with a 2235H below the 2122H and rest of the cab in the basement below between the floor joists... about 3 cu ft more. The overall height of the current setup must be reduced by 7-8 inches to correctly align the H91 to the ear. It will give the illusion of a much less visually intrusive 4 way. As Lee in Montreal said and I concur, the sub must be movable. Hence the concept now. This vintage system needs not go below 35hz. The enclosure would be tuned to 32.5 +-

Thanks again for your input. It is very much appreciated....Nobody has a monopoly on good ideas....That's why I'm here....

Time for a Guinness!

cheers

Time for a Guinness!
    Your best idea yet! Don't mind if I do too!

Widget

Your best idea yet! Don't mind if I do too!

Widget
    I'm guessing that's where the 'widget' is from, sir?....

Ahhhh, it all makes sense now ...

No keg in the house and hence, the required widget ?

I'm guessing that's where the 'widget' is from, sir?....

Ahhhh, it all makes sense now ...

No keg in the house and hence, the required widget ?
    Nope... they stole the name.

Widget

Widget

ahhhhhhhh......

Widget

ahhhhhhhh......I see. Good to know for a trivial pusuit answer.......

Thread Information