Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 89

Thread: Need help with 2235H enclosure design

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ottawa, canada
    Posts
    66

    Need help with 2235H enclosure design

    Hello all, First time poster long time lurker. I have limited space in my vintage 2 channel room. I can't have 2 mini fridges in there. WAF is an issue.
    Does anyone see an issue with building an odd shaped enclosure? I would like to construct a 1.5 cu ft. enclosure for the room itself, cut through the hardwood floor and add a second sealed and connected 3 cu.ft.enclosure below in the basement floor joist cavity. That means a vertical cabinet attached to a horizontal one through the floor. It would give the illusion of a much smaller cabinet in the room visually. This would enclose the 2235H only.

    Does anyone see an issue?

    Thanking anyone in advance

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    322
    As long as the opening joining the two sections of cabinet is large enough to allow adequate airflow, and avoids making a resonator out of one or both of the cavities, there's no problem. A rule of thumb I use when connecting internal cavities is the opening should be the area of the driver(s), or greater. Maybe someone here can bring more science to the discussion.

    I'll add, if you have a router, round the edges of the opening for better airflow.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ottawa, canada
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by fpitas View Post
    As long as the opening joining the two sections of cabinet is large enough to allow adequate airflow, and avoids making a resonator out of one or both of the cavities, there's no problem. A rule of thumb I use when connecting internal cavities is the opening should be the area of the driver(s), or greater. Maybe someone here can bring more science to the discussion.

    I'll add, if you have a router, round the edges of the opening for better airflow.
    wow, thanks for responding...I agree completely. I was going to make the connection hole the size of the collective openings of the basket...maybe a tad larger....work for you?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by vanbeek View Post
    wow, thanks for responding...I agree completely. I was going to make the connection hole the size of the openings of the basket...maybe a tad larger....work for you?
    Should work fine.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

  5. #5
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,109
    I agree that this should work, but cutting a big enough hole for this to work is quite a commitment for a speaker that you might want to replace down the road.

    Why not consider a sub satellite design?


    Widget

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by vanbeek View Post
    Hello all, First time poster long time lurker. I have limited space in my vintage 2 channel room. I can't have 2 mini fridges in there. WAF is an issue.

    Does anyone see an issue?

    Thanking anyone in advance
    i SEE 2 issues ....movement for best sound ......and the "PORT"
    design of it....... could be tricky w/2 cavities

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lee in Montreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    2,496
    The 2235 is a nice musical woofer, but it also requires 5 to 6cft to breath and get best extension. More modern subwoofers are designed for smaller enclosures, will handle more power, more excursion, and will go deeper, at the expense of needing a bigger amp. A smaller enclosure can be easily hidden for WAF and to reach best sound. I think that ability to move a sub is a must.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ottawa, canada
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I agree that this should work, but cutting a big enough hole for this to work is quite a commitment for a speaker that you might want to replace down the road.

    Why not consider a sub satellite design?


    Widget
    Yes it is a huge commitment..lol I'm a 60 year guy. This is my shot at a custom classic JBL driver 4 way. There is no room for a sub. The room cannot 'take' the volume of the enclosure required. I have built a solid walnut, waterjet cut, anodized aluminum rack, specificaly designed for its location in this room. It optically works. The JBL 4 way using vintage drivers is what is 'required' for this vintage system in this room to finish it off. Since I can't have 2 mini fridges aka 4343/44/45s, I have to be creative. The same goes for the amps, which are located in the basement below the Rack in the room. The waf is unacceptable unless hidden...2 Pioneer m22s and 2 spec 4s.

    I have a HT with sub/sat combo. love it, but is is not the classic 2 channel.....


    I started with a John W set of L100 clones...beautifully built....but not a JBL 4 way....for the vintage room


    hence the journey continues....

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ottawa, canada
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    i SEE 2 issues ....movement for best sound ......and the "PORT"
    design of it....... could be tricky w/2 cavities

    I agree. That's why I'm asking the experts. Any help will be appreciated....

    please understand that for the room, it has to be 2 channel just like when I was a kid and stood in awe.....

  10. #10
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10,109
    I think as long as your connecting "port" between the two cabinets is about the same area as the woofer's cone you should be fine.


    Widget

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I think as long as your connecting "port" between the two cabinets is about the same area as the woofer's cone you should be fine.


    Widget
    Accually...I was Refering to a tuning port ..assuming theirs an opt for it

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,743
    Seems like I recall somebody mounting a couple of subs under his kitchen floor and using the last kitchen cabinets along the wall as his volume, with the opening into the next room through the wall in the cabinets.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ottawa, canada
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    Accually...I was Refering to a tuning port ..assuming theirs an opt for it

    The ducts will need to be installed. No question. Do you see any sonic issues with the joined 2 enclosures and the unusual configuration? I assumed they would act as one provided the connection between the two was adequate.

    To be clear, I'm not insane. At least I don't think so anyway, some (my wife) would argue that though..lol

    ....What I'm attempting to do is recreate the best sound and visual impact with what was available in that era (70s) for the consumer...a time warp if you will. All electronics and drivers have had to be available during the 70s except for the interconnects, including all amps.

    I'm down to last enclosure.

    In closing for now, I would like to thank all the LH members past and present, who have contributed to the many articles about the 70s JBL 4 way monitors. I can say that adding the 2122H was an eye opener for me.

    There are some pics in the gallery if anyone is interested. Ya, I know the transcriptor tt was not ideal, but I loved it back then with the v15 cartridge and still do. The case for it was custom made by me and my old fart buddies, including the waterjet cut hinges and hardware....

    yes, I realize the baffle for the H91 should be larger....It was just an experiment...

    just sayin', LOL

    thanks again for giving me the time of day...

    .

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    322
    The duct can start anywhere in the enclosure, as long as the inner end has plenty of breathing room, at least one diameter to any surface. Flares on both ends are a good idea, although that might not fit in with the vintage motif.

    http://www.aes.org/e-lib/download.cfm?ID=11094&name=harman

    Typical flared ports:

    http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-port-tubes/320
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ottawa, canada
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by fpitas View Post
    The duct can start anywhere in the enclosure, as long as the inner end has plenty of breathing room, at least one diameter to any surface. Flares on both ends are a good idea, although that might not fit in with the vintage motif.

    http://www.aes.org/e-lib/download.cfm?ID=11094&name=harman

    Typical flared ports:

    http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-port-tubes/320
    Thanks very much for the links and the info. The vintage motif for the speakers will be the drivers themselves only. The ports will installed. If you saw the pictures, you know what I mean....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Enclosure for 2235h
    By Dr.db in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 05:29 PM
  2. Enclosure Design for le12c???
    By hello9821 in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 11:03 PM
  3. enclosure design and transducers choice
    By ratitifb in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-15-2007, 09:28 AM
  4. looking for enclosure design for 12" Norelco
    By EL34 in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 12:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •