Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL 4311 Grey color ?

JBL 4311 Grey color ?

does anyone knows about the jbl grey color of 4311 studio monitors? i got a veneerd model but got some cracks and scarfs so i want to paint it to jbl grey color ! does anyone know codes to reproduce the grey? also i see that the grey version isnt smooth ... i have to paint it with a roller? thanks!

hifido photos

Name:  h.jpg
Views: 4188
Size:  161.7 KB

Here is a you tube vid for you , might give you a better shot at it if you try to mix your own. I'm sure there were variations from batch to batch anyway.

Someone might be able to get a RAL number for you. I think there is a tiny amount of blue in the colour ( from memory )

That spatter finish is easy to achieve with one of those cheapo spray guns from the diy places.
    Put a nice smoothe coat down first then set the gun so that it spatters for your top texture. The paint needs to be thicker for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfzi8O5oyS4

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ey-colour-code

my 4310s are original grey painted

For sure there were variations from batch to batch...

From your links , info from our very own Rich

' the grey is RAL 7038 , tint darker if you need to '

There you have it. Go to a paint place and have 2 ltrs mixed and get a little black tint just in case.

Agate Grey

JBL Paint Colors

If you also have an L200, you may be interested in this. I saw the photo of the 4311 and that the color is RAL7038 from another post in this thread. I am restoring a 1969 L200 2-way Studio Monitor in a painted plywood cabinet. The readily-available color I found locally for it is Rustoleum brand, "Camouflage", color number 1917 Khaki. It is very similar to RAL7042. This is the aged color of a paint chip from the cabinet. The under-side of the paint chip is a lighter grey, un-aged. However, I chose the darker tint to match the aged paint, so if it gets a scratch, it will not be very noticeable. I could barely see the color difference when spraying the paint. Good luck with your painting.

JBL Paint Colors2

Correcting my previous post, upon further research I found that the JBL I am restoring is a 4320, not an L200. The configuration is a 4502 cabinet, LE15 Woofer, and 2420 horn with diffuser. The missing crossover will be replaced by a recent design with horn current limit, and a home-built L-Pad. The attached photo shows the new Rustoleum #1917 Khaki spray paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4320 Project Finished

I finished restoring the 4320. I used plywood to replace the press-wood grill frames which had deteriorated due to moisture in a basement. I replaced the 2420 diaphragm with an aluminum after-market one. I replaced the original woofer (also missing) with a different brand with 28 Hz. Fs, instead of 20 Hz. that the LE15 had, so had to reduce the cabinet volume using solid foam blocks inside to retune to about 28 Hz. I used a Denon AVR-5700 receiver (170W/ch.) to test it. I tried to leave out the L-Pad, but that horn is definitely too loud to use for a front main speaker without it. It sounds great for a center channel, or a subwoofer (using 100W Kenwood amp at 80 Hz. crossover) as is. It is bright in center channel mode, which doesn't hurt in my opinion, and thunders cleanly in subwoofer mode. I want to test it on a QSC1450 (300W) amp in subwoofer mode on my P.A. gear, if I can get someone to help me lug it up to the house from the shop. I will be forced to build the L-Pad to tone down the 2420 horn. So, I have an original 4502 cabinet and grill, the original 2420 horn with new diaphragm, closely-matched paint, and the rest is non-JBL stuff, but it sounds awesome. I may add a 2405 ring radiator with slot diffuser in the blank cutout space. I have an idea to build another duplicate cabinet from scratch, and make it a 4-way of my own design. That is for a later project.

I understand the gray paint code has been found. But is the paint that Jbl used acrylic latex or oil?

Quote Originally Posted by script56 View Post
    I understand the gray paint code has been found. But is the paint that Jbl used acrylic latex or oil?
    It certainly wouldn't have been latex... I have no idea what paint they used, but it would have been an industrial coating that may have been an oil base enamel or a lacquer base.

Latex paints have improved a lot since the '70s, but they still aren't as durable as a quality industrial coating.

Widget

You're right. That's what I found out at the paint store. Latex and acrylic can be chipped off with fingernail. Oil based is much stronger.

After almost 40 years even the JBL paint becomes very easy to damage.

After about a year of trials and failures I have finally found an exact match for the Jbl studio monitor grey 4310 43xx. It is quite expensive but is an exact match to the original. It is much more durable than a latex acrylic mix. If anyone needs any for touch up I can probably send a small amount out just for the cost of shipping. Quart is the next size up which is pretty costly but worth it my opinion. The picture below is a chip from an original 43xx. Half of it is the original paint other half new. almost impossible to tell the difference.

I restored my 4310 with acrylic paint ral 7038
    - JBL- Westlake Audio -

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Those look very sharp, fabrice. Grats!

Thread Information