Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL/Harman location

JBL/Harman location

So just where is all (or most) of Harman/JBL operations and manufacturing now being done?

Obsolete

Well that really jives with the history of the company. But I guess that's your market driven company. I'll try to contain my disdain.

Life of the American business.

Jose Can You See by Dandong"s Early Light

So much for American companys.

Oldmics

Maron Horonzakz
    Even KRELL is doing bussniss over there....Emovita merged with Carver,,soon his stuff will succum,to China,,,So why not JBL ????

Obsolete
    China and India are completely unsustainable societies. They're a non-issue in the long term. We are merely exploiting them for as long as we can, "we" being the 1 percent (regardless of nationality). The other 99 percent will have to figure out something else to do with their day.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Even KRELL is doing bussniss over there....Emovita merged with Carver,,soon his stuff will succum,to China,,,So why not JBL ????
    Yes indeed they did merge with Carver, but according to the forum's they're bringing their manufacturing back home to the States - Bob's stuff is staying US made as well.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blo...oundup-6-20-13

see paragraph 4.
    Last edited by RedCoat23; 06-20-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: further information

Maron Horonzakz
    REDCOAT,,, And how long do you think that will last..?

Obsolete
    "I want to be one fo the first guys who brings it [large-scale electronics manufacturing] back here," he said. "Not everyone can work at Starbucks."

No way! Someone is actually seeing the big picture?

REDCOAT,,, And how long do you think that will last..?
    I'm not jinxing it. I'll take it for as long as I can. I have a lot of respect for what they do at Emotiva and this is just adding to my support. If they can make the cheaper end of the hi-fi scale work with home-grown manufacturing, then there's no reason (other than corporate greed) for anyone else not to do the same.

One last soapbox point and I'll jump down. There are ancillary benefits to bringing manufacturing home. All those suppliers who suddenly get local orders also start employing more people. Those staff working in the main factories who perhaps wouldn't have been working before are now living, working and spending money locally. Everyone benefits.

Emotiva works because they're family run, so their needs are not the same as a whole bunch of faceless shareholders only out for a fatter dividend. I for one have no problem supporting their products - which I happen to like. Its a win, win for me.

Maron Horonzakz
    I own a Emovita 7 channel amp,,,Use it for triamping,,, Works fine,,,But dont count on Carver units staying in the colonys...

I own a Emovita 7 channel amp,,,Use it for triamping,,, Works fine,,,But dont count on Carver units staying in the colonys...
    Who knows for sure what will happen over time. I take Dan at his word until I read otherwise. As for the colonies...if they move it to Hong Kong does that still count?

Hey, Oldmics!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCoat23 View Post
    I'm not jinxing it. I'll take it for as long as I can. I have a lot of respect for what they do at Emotiva and this is just adding to my support. If they can make the cheaper end of the hi-fi scale work with home-grown manufacturing, then there's no reason (other than corporate greed) for anyone else not to do the same.

One last soapbox point and I'll jump down. There are ancillary benefits to bringing manufacturing home. All those suppliers who suddenly get local orders also start employing more people. Those staff working in the main factories who perhaps wouldn't have been working before are now living, working and spending money locally. Everyone benefits.

Emotiva works because they're family run, so their needs are not the same as a whole bunch of faceless shareholders only out for a fatter dividend. I for one have no problem supporting their products - which I happen to like. Its a win, win for me.
    I thought this article was interesting:

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...toWhatsNewsTop

I'm looking at giving the Emotiva XPA-1L and XSP-1 a try.

I now own 4 XPA-1's (not the 1L). For the price I paid and how they've made my performance series sound so much better than the AVR amp I was using (Onkyo NR-818). I really couldn't be happier.

If you do get it, let me know what you think of the XSP-1, its on my list to pick up in the future.

I've traveled to China many times - I ran outsourcing for a previous employer - its the wild west of business practices. The companies I worked with employed both locals and imported Westerners. All the staff were aware of the salary discrepancies between the two 'classes' of employee. They acted far more stoically to the situation than I know I would have in similar circumstances. Or perhaps they were just better at hiding it...

Anyway you can't fail to notice the increasing westernization of the country - certainly in the big cities. That drive for material acquisition from the populace at large is going to have exactly this effect on businesses. In order to have a better standard of living they're going to want higher pay and better conditions.

It might be a communist country but this kind of movement is ultimately not going to be stopped. At some point in time either costs and/or a lack of objective governmental infrastructure is going to mean these plant owners look to other countries to continue the status quo.

Personally I hope more companies reach the conclusion that Emotiva has, that it is possible to keep some or all of your product home grown.

My apologies, I got back on my soapbox again...

Thread Information