Thread: 2392

I know the 2392 horn is ment to be coupled with the 2490H driver. Anyone knows if its possible to use this horn with a 248x driver? Shouldnt the 248x have a decent chance to reach the lower cut of 2392?

/Mostly

exit

the 2392 is a 3" exit mount - the ( 2482 and others ) are 2" exit and I do not know of any adapter made for that.

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    the 2392 is a 3" exit mount - the ( 2482 and others ) are 2" exit and I do not know of any adapter made for that.
    Thank you subwoof, I recently found that out as well. There are loads of adapters for different horns but like you I have never heard of or seen an adapter for 3" throat JBL horns. I quess one could always bring out the old lathe and make some. I figured there might possibly be some differences in "starting" angles or something.

/Mostly

Anyone knows the sonical quality of the 3" exit 2490H compared to the phenol 2" exit drivers(248x)?

/Mostly

2490H vs. 2482

It is a hard question, as just handling and swapping the huge 2392 and 2360 horns with 2 end 3 inch drivers will take longer than most people´s acoustic memory. The strongpoint and forte of the 2490H is its ability to be used to 300 Hz in a dedicated horn with the proper loading, the 2392. I have a few of those 2490H drivers in 5672 and 5674 cinema systems and one of my friends has got 2482s in 2360 horns. Both sound great but the 2490H in my opinion definitely has the edge in sheer resolving power and sound quality. Probably also helps a bit, that my system is run fully active from a BSS 366T with factory settings specifically for the 5672/5674 system. In comparison to that the 2482 can sound ever so slightly anaemic or even a bit "quacky" but that might as well be be due to the widely differing horn-loading/flaring and compression ratio.
    Anyway, the 2490H in a big horn is quite sensational in its scale and cohesion, no 2 inch I have heard comes even close,just sad they seem almost impossible to come by. And even more impossible to accomodate even semi-domestically with 7 1/2 feet in height

Thank you very much PoulM!

I have heard people comparing the sound of the 3" and 2" similar to the difference of the 2" and 1".

I would like to use these horns in my future HT and because of the quite smallish room size the 3" does take up less space than a 2482 with a coupled adapter(a lot deeper). Ive also realised that the strength of these horns/drivers is the fact that most of the speach range can be played in one single horn. Im not sure though where I would cross over to the next horn. To reduce the beeming tendencies I believe that they should be crossed rather low, say around 2k or something like that.

Ive thought about the 2360A and even the 2350 but I would like to have my horns mounted in a wall just behind the screen and thats alot easier with the 2392, 2352... type of horns.

/Mostly

I recently found out about the 2192. In a HT setup would this "coax" horn be superior in regard to have a 2352 horn on top of the 2392? The listening distance will be around 4 meters.

/Mostly

Bloody big horns

I do not think putting the small 2332 horn with limited pattern control in the 2192 etc. directly in front of the exit of the 2490H as in the 2192 is going to be a useful improvement, as the distance is so very short. After all, it takes a few meters to get into the far field with such large speakers. Have you already got any of the big horns for 3-inch drivers , they seem to be almost non-existent? If you don' t you most likely will never find any anyway let alone the long-discontinued 2490H drivers..
    Listening to such large horns as the 2392 family at 4 meters is a bit less than usually recommended (my 5674 are about the same so I have the same problem, in fact it just barely works for a single chair here. The widely spaced acoustic centers in these bloody big speakers necessitate a listening distance at far more than 4 meters I am afraid. And soffit mounting as well for optimum performance or at the very least very wide acoustic "wings"
    Sideways in our rectangular rooms I fire a pair of JBL 5671 cinema systems with the same 2490/2451 drivers (and the same 2332 as in the coaxial) and although good it does not compare to the 5674. For smallish rooms, however, 5671 might be the best compromise (I like it a lot), but I think a 2360 horn is better for a small cinema at short listening distances, I think you should go that way.
    Just a piece of advice-we got plenty of 2360-horns here as well, so yes, we have tried and compared. Great fun, thought, these bloody big horns.
    And, almost forgot, gorgeous sound, I think, just about as life-like as it gets !

Thank you again PoulM for your input!

I figured something like this

Name:  bion.png
Views: 754
Size:  76.8 KB

The room is 6m x 4,3m x 2,15m from the start and I will have to construct another wall about 90 to 100cm from the original wall.

Under the 2392 I will use 6 2227 in ~45Hz tuned ported enclosures. Subs will probably be large drivers, possibly a pair of 21inchers in closed cabs. The dream would be to get some M2 waveguides with D2 drivers to use on top of the 2392 which I believe would work quite good near field.

Using the 2360A is of course an option but this will be quite a bit more fun

Whether I will get what I need for this project or not, Im hoping for the best

/Mostly

Thread Information