Thread: 2432H- any data, measurements, or comparisons to 2431H?

2432H- any data, measurements, or comparisons to 2431H?

I'm working on a pair of JBL SRX715 15" 2-ways with a 2265H NEO woofer and originally 2431H NEO 3" compression driver with the aluminum diaphragm and separate surround made of plastic (before someone butchered them and installed cheap 1" drivers on a home-made "adaptor").

I am looking for a pair of 2431H drivers to restore these speakers, so if anyone has a pair they'd part with, please PM me.

I have a pair of 2432H, a NEO 3" close relative to the 2431H. It uses a ribbed Titanium diaphragm with integral Ti surround, a la previous JBL Ti design. It also has a short (approx. 3/4") extension spacer on the exit side of the driver, and IIRC, a different phase plug. As far as I can tell, it looks like the phase plug /throat serves as the centering sleeve for the spacer, while simultaneously providing a smooth path uninterupted by any possible misalignment of a simple extension slapped on the front of a standard 2431. in other words, the extension can't simply be removed.

I have reviewed the original JBL 2431H data sheet posted here on the LHS site, but to date noone has provided one for the 2432H.
    The 2431H is a very short driver from diaphragm to 1.5" exit- it has no "extension" like the 2432H. Doug Button (XDCR Engr at JBL) commented that, due to the very short throat of the 2431 and 2435, they are finicky about which horns it works well with. I don't know if the longer throat of the 2432H mounted to horns designed for the 2431H (such as the one on the SRX715's in question in this thread) is an issue or not. I somehow doubt it will matter, except for at the extreme edges of the designed coverage area of this horn. Any comments regarding this is welcomed.

I have looked everywhere for data sheets on the 2432H, or any comparisons, or application experiences between these 2431H and the 2432H. I want to substitute the 2432H drivers I have now in place of the 2431H these cabinets and crossover/filter networks are designed for, but since these belong to a customer, I am reluctant to turn the job into a big experiment without some idea of the measured differences between these drivers on this or any other horns, for that matter.

Plane wave tube measurements of both drivers on the same test-bed would be a good start. Anybody have some information or experience they can share? I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Hi

That makes two of us. I also tried to find the data sheet for the 2432H but cant find any. The 2432H is mounted in the Cinema screen arrays as well.

Still searching...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobecca View Post
    Hi

That makes two of us. I also tried to find the data sheet for the 2432H but cant find any. The 2432H is mounted in the Cinema screen arrays as well.
    No replies yet, so I gave this thread a bump.
    Hoping someone will take note and share information if they have it.

Rudy

2432H data, or comparisons to other JBL 3" or 4" compression drivers?

Anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Kleimann View Post
    Anybody?
    There are comparisons of 2435 to other 2" CDs here somewhere. I think I saw a near perfect sim on the 2435

Hi Rudy,

User notnyt over at AVSForum measured the 2432H on the JBL 2384 waveguide, which is the top for the JBL 4722 cinema speaker:
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post41520545

He also compared a variety of CD's, on the same waveguide, with summary results here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post42167329 The measurements for each of those CD's are between pages 121 and 141 on the forum.

I have pair of 4722's as well and confirmed the same 2432H measurements using REW. I am not a fan of undamped titanium and switched to JBL 2453H-SL. The REW measured distortion is lower and sound smoother up top to my ears. If you read through the long thread, many folks that have the JBL 4722 replaced the 2432H with the 2453H-SL and reported similar results...

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Mitch

no comparison... to 2435H

2435H is a whole other animal... no comparison there.

Certainly no comparison to ANY 2" drivers...

Quote Originally Posted by gasfan View Post
    There are comparisons of 2435 to other 2" CDs here somewhere. I think I saw a near perfect sim on the 2435

Thanks Mitch.

I posted this thread 4 years ago while helping a customer with butchered-up SRX715's restore them to order. At the time he elected to save $200 with used 2432H instead of used 2431H. They worked, but they weren't "right" in more ways than one; however he was vastly better off than what he brought to me: 1" exit chinese drivers rigged to the 1.5" entry horn!

Then the worst happened: water in one of the compression drivers (I warned him many times to stop transporting and storing them with the horns pointing up!). I call it "Drunk driver syndrome"- Beer or mixed drinks spilled into the horn of a stage monitor is the most common occurrence, but in this case it was rain under his not-so-waterproof pickup bed cover... by the time this is discovered, a week or more has passed and the driver is rusted, corroded, and/or the diaphragm is destroyed.

I have since acquired a slew of new and used 2431H, and he ponied up the cash for a new pair. We restored his SRX715's back to fully stock form. They sound much better for it. BTW- I agree about Ti diaphragm sound...

Now the 2432H's are back in my hands again and I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. Luckily, the driver will luckily clean up and I had a spare diaphragm.

The one thing that has my curiosity up about the 2432H is the "snout" -a 7/8" long throat extension that the 2431 & 2435 does not have. Why is it there, and what is its' effect on driver output? Does it aid in compatibility with certain horns?

The more important concern of interest to me is if the 2431/35 or the 2432H have problems on certain horns, and if so, which ones? The comments made by JBL transducer Engineer Doug Button regarding the short throats on 2431/35 drivers and some horns keeps echoing in my head... but he didn't elaborate on which horns in that discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchco View Post
    Hi Rudy,

User notnyt over at AVSForum measured the 2432H on the JBL 2384 waveguide, which is the top for the JBL 4722 cinema speaker:
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post41520545

He also compared a variety of CD's, on the same waveguide, with summary results here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post42167329 The measurements for each of those CD's are between pages 121 and 141 on the forum.

I have pair of 4722's as well and confirmed the same 2432H measurements using REW. I am not a fan of undamped titanium and switched to JBL 2453H-SL. The REW measured distortion is lower and sound smoother up top to my ears. If you read through the long thread, many folks that have the JBL 4722 replaced the 2432H with the 2453H-SL and reported similar results...

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Kleimann View Post
    2435H is a whole other animal... no comparison there.

Certainly no comparison to ANY 2" drivers...
    Sorry, I mistakenly thought the 2450SL-BE was a 2" exit driver. Any way, there is a sim over on the JBL Master Reference Monitor thread on pg. 15

Thread Information