Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dream or nightmare?: "jbl sessions" tracks, can we use them?

So, did we ever get this converted to flac files?

Here's a link to a blog that posted the albums in MP3 format. I haven't verified but looks legit.

http://rebuilttrannyrecords.com/2009...s-test-record/

Cheers,

Warren
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Files no longer avaiable

Name:  Sessions.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  26.1 KB

Thanks,
    george

bummer.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post
    Really! I was in VA-147 on he USS Constellation from two weeks prior to leaving NAS North Island, Sept 1971 thru the middle of Oct 1974 when they sent me back to NAS Lemoore. What was your outfit, Airedale, Ship's Co., ?

I found the 1971-1872 cruisebook on the web for free (very rare).

http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/index.html

Then, out a total of four or five pix of VA-147 squids, this was a surprise: My buddy Mark and I playing chess between flight ops in a little space on the Port 03 deck just aft of the end of the angled deck & cats. That's me in the bottom pic, on the left.

http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/149.htm

Yes, I remember very well that pompous %$* Cunningham strutting it around on the flight deck. Then in 1980 I saw him selling his book at an airshow in Madera, Ca. I walked up and said "I was on the Connie while all that was going on."

His very nearly non-reaction was like "Oh yeah, so?" Years later I started reading rumors about his misbehavior, on the internet, and sure enough:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...-term-19317906

Seems he spent some years flying a mop & bucket and lawnmower in the slammer, but no medals were issued.

What an stupid, shameful waste of his opportunies and former honor. I hate when that happens.
    I was at a thrift yesterday and ran across a BIG coffee table book laying open. Even from upside down the exposed pic looked familiar. Book was : US NAVY; A Complete History.

Looked closer at it and thot .. WTF ? I shot that. Always wondered what happened to those pics. Credited as "Naval Historical Center" ...they never gave us individual credit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post
    Yes, I remember very well that pompous %$* Cunningham strutting it around on the flight deck.
    Seems he spent some years flying a mop & bucket and lawnmower in the slammer, but no medals were issued.
    What an stupid, shameful waste of his opportunies and former honor. I hate when that happens.
    Without restarting our OT reminiscences , accidentally ran across this ==>> ..

http://hyperscale.com/features/2002/...ime100da_1.htm

there are actually commercial models of "Showtime 100"

That doesn't appear to be commercially-available. It's an unassembled F4J model kit by Hasegawa (looks to be 1/48 scale) that David W. Aungst built, modified and painted to represent Cunningham's aircraft on the day he shot down 3 NVAF aircraft to become an ace. Looks like he did a very nice job on the model, too. Definitely one-of-a-kind.

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    That doesn't appear to be commercially-available. It's an unassembled F4J model kit by Hasegawa (looks to be 1/48 scale) that David W. Aungst built, modified and painted to represent Cunningham's aircraft on the day he shot down 3 NVAF aircraft to become an ace. Looks like he did a very nice job on the model, too. Definitely one-of-a-kind.
    https://www.amazon.com/Academy-USN-F.../dp/B011IA139C

>>It's an unassembled F4J model kit by Hasegawa

Have their catalog, they do (did ?) make a specific ST100 model.

I've met RC a couple of times before he had fame, "Duke" was still a D1ck. Was at the ready room debrief just after his return* , he thought the MIG was an A-4 until the last minute.

The second "Showtime" bird (or maybe just a tribute ?) is on a pole at the SD aerospace museum.

* must have been the January event , I left the ship in April 72.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

>>It's an unassembled F4J model kit by Hasegawa

I've met RC a couple of times before he had fame, "Duke" was still a D1ck. Was at the ready room debrief just after his return* , he thought the MIG was an A-4 until the last minute.

The second "Showtime" bird (or maybe just a tribute ?) is on a pole at the SD aerospace museum.

* must have been the January event , I left the ship in April 72.
    Brings back scary memories back in Chicago Air Route Traffic Control Center back in the late 70s when I was a Controller before Reagan fired us all in 1981. I had an Ozark Airlines DC 9 at 17,000 looking for lower over Springfield, IL going into O'Hare. Low and behold (pun intended) Kansas City Center pointed out two F4s on a TACAN approach at 16,000 just barely getting into my area going into Springfield. Being busy I said, no I don't need to talk to them. Well, sure as hell the first thing Ozark asked for when he checked in at 17,000 was a lower altitude. So forgetting about the two F4s at 16,000 I descended him to 11,000 and calmly gave him the O'Hare altimeter. Oh Shit! To make a long story short he later called the Watch Supervisor at the Center to find out what was going on as to why an F4 "filled his windshield"! It's been about 40 years now, but I still remember it well.

waayyy OT - again.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm001 View Post
    Brings back scary memories back in Chicago Air Route Traffic Control Center back in the late 70s when I was a Controller ......
    don't think I could do that job. What do you do now ?

F4's used to fill my viewfinder (on a 28mm lens) shooting from about 25 feet away in the catwalk. ...they are bigger than most realize. In fact they are 10 feet LONGER than a WW2 B-25 bomber.

The A3 Whales wings would pass just feet over my head on their launches. Oh, the dumb things we did when young ..

OBTW tjm001, TJM are my initials.

don't think I could do that job. What do you do now ?
    I retired in 2012 as a Customs and Border Protection Officer. But my 14 years as a Controller was the most enjoyable job I ever had!

So you're the guy that caused me to add the 001 suffix

I stand corrected. Probably Academy's standard F4J kit with decals for ST100. (Model companies do that all the time.) I originally thought he used a set of aftermarket decals. Too bad his client insisted that he not add any weathering — no in-service aircraft ever looks as factory-fresh as his model.

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    no in-service aircraft ever looks as factory-fresh as his model.
    Ours were well used, except the Viggie that never flew (lived in the rear of the hanger bay as a parts donor)

The UH1's that we flew in were downright raggedly. Bullet holes ? Just put some tape over them Shot up skids ? (from our own doorgunners) just respray .

In fact, when the Army discarded them as "unsafe to fly" , the USN said "oh, we'll take 'em"
    and then flew em heavier and at night (the Army refused to do that) . 106% military power just to lift off , and we didn't just lift off .... had to take quite a running start just to get off the ground.
    There was one Det that had about a 300 yd. strip that ended at the river. We'd back up to the end and use up all that room and then clip the boats antennas trying to get altitude.

antenna twang

fun,fun,fun at 21.

The UH1's that we flew in were downright raggedly. Bullet holes ? Just put some tape over them Shot up skids ? (from our own doorgunners) just respray .

In fact, when the Army discarded them as "unsafe to fly" , the USN said "oh, we'll take 'em"
    and then flew em heavier and at night (the Army refused to do that) . 106% military power just to lift off , and we didn't just lift off .... had to take quite a running start just to get off the ground.
    There was one Det that had about a 300 yd. strip that ended at the river. We'd back up to the end and use up all that room and then clip the boats antennas trying to get altitude.

antenna twang

fun,fun,fun at 21.
    I worked with dozens of Army UH1 pilots from 1968 until the strike in 1981. Never knew one that did not get shot down or crashed at least once. They all had metal pins in their legs, arms and such. You could not get me in a helicopter to this day and I hold a commercial pilots fixed wing license.

JUST OUT! ENIGMA CODE OF JBL SESSIONS CDs HAS BEEN CRACKED. FILM @ 11

Easily this time around, because there is/was no Enigma code

The difficulty in extracting and/or copying of files in the Drew Daniels mastered CD of SESSIONS was not caused by some secret encryption technique or copyright protection scheme. Rather, the problem was in the layout of the CD's directory structure, which apparently somehow confused all "comers" and their apps and hardware based attempts to reproduce (copy) the digital audio files contained in Drew's two-CD rendering of the original two vinyl disc LPs.

I had been enjoying the successful use of several small, open source CD file extraction (rip) and format conversion tools running in Linux Ubuntu 16.04 LTS which made short shrift of a number of issues I was encountering in the course of archiving my CD music collection for posterity, safety, and convenience.

While cleaning out my ancient cache of PM's I re-read those related to the SESSIONS experiments as well as postings to this thread (started back in 2013) and figured "Hey, why not throw these apps at the SESSIONS CD's and have a go at understanding WTF was up with them. And Voila!

This is what I found out:The file directory structure appeared to contain multiple CD volumes, which it seems left most apps utilized dazed and confused. By looking inside with the ripper, "Sound Juicer", and the audio track format converter "Sound Converter" plus a little bit of manual intervention, the problem (or "Opportunity to Excel" as spoken in the jargon of rocket launching industry workers) was corrected. Or or least and at long last was understood.

CD file directory structure: Drive label in file manager: Audio CD

Remainder of data was shown as a file below the "Audio CD" disc title, in file manager. named "Sessions"

Which contains a folder, "CD PLUS" with the files "info.cdp" and "sub_info.us"

and a folder, "Pictures", with 12 jpg files of the album covers and scanned pages of the album booklet

Then two folders, Disc1 and disc2, having .cda (.wav) files of the audio tracks on the SESSIONS 'Disk 1 and disc 2 vinyl LP records.

In the CD's root dir, the files Sessions.doc and Sessions.pdf, both versions of the Album booklet.

I also located the name of record of the owner of the 1973 copyright, in this case "James B. Lansing Sound, Inc."

So anyone who has a copy on CD needs to just write with a sharpie on each disk, in 10 or larger typeface size: Copyright, (then the little letter c in a circle), 1973, James B. Lansing Sound, Inc.

Which is your one legal backup copy. No more than one!

To be continued...
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

Thread Information