Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dream or nightmare?: "jbl sessions" tracks, can we use them?

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Whatta you know ? I was in OPS (Ships company) , spent most of my time on the flight deck in a green shirt . Didn't know about the cruise book link. Sure enough , there I am ==>> http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/093.htm (the young/handsome one)

Chess ? somewhere in the book is a black & white of me, playing chess. It's a side shot, but you can tell as I've still got my brass bracelet from Pleiku.
    LATER: I found it http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/162.htm

When RC knocked down the first MIG (January '72) I was in the ready room awaiting his return (with camera) ... despite all the sea stories, he came up on it by accident, mistaking it for an A4. My salty chief hated Zoomie, so I got the assignment to cover Z's visit (March ?)

My 2 prior war zone tours were at NSA Da Nang (security/intelligence) & Helicopter Attack* (light) 3 in the Delta (combat camera) at NAS Binh Thuy (UH1B's). Did my "A" school with the Army at DLIWC** in Monterrey.

Yup, nobody liked RC , even before he became famous. He is now regarded as the "most corrupt Congressman" ever.

Finished out my reserve time with VP-69 at NAS Whidbey.

*Helicopter Attack (light) 3 .. aka HA(L) 3 was "The Seawolves" , hence my forum & email names. The most decorated helo squadron in Navy history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicop..._(Light)_Three

**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Language_Institute

I recall the day when we were locked down for hours in GQ and all hell was breaking loose out there. Some MIG drivers (or more correctly their commanders) had the bright idea of sneaking out aT sea level and attacking CTF 77. But from the time they lifted off their runway their every move was tracked through "Red Crown" and every move was data-linked to every combat unit in the Fleet, including VF-92 and VF-96. But at the time all the Phantoms were feet-dry, hunting in-country.

A dude I later worked with at G.E. was an FT on one of our plane guards, USS Hidgbey. He said what ensued was a turkey shoot, and the taxpayers got their moneys' worth on nine Talos surface to air missiles. I would have liked to have seen that!

In a similar "What was reality" situation to what you mentioned about RC andf the A-4, there is no truth in the yarn that RC and Driscolls' F-4 was hit by a sam in the final moments of their most epic dogfight, causing them to have to eject within yards of the coast...

Well truth is they ran out of fuel. But I can see the official spin's better qualities, since it would be hard to explain to all the civilians back home that an F-4 running at full afterburner, at 10,000 ft or less alititude was burning 8,000 lb. / min. And might think the Heroes shoud have practiced better fuel management despite the desperate "knife fights in a telephone booth" that RC & D were in that day.

"THE FANTAIL IS OPEN"

BTW, were you iN PAO?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post
    I recall the day when we were locked down for hours in GQ and all hell was breaking loose out there.
    My GQ station was in the Chief's mess. They HAD their own goodies in a private refrig. We didn't mind hours at GQ .

BTW, were you iN PAO?
    Not aboard Connie (why did they drop the "a" from "CVA" ?) , but I was at Costco looking thru a big coffee table book about the USN and found some of my old pix.

At HA(L)3 , PAO came to me. We were losing a lot of birds. The Old Man went to D.C. begging for more (they were unsafe to fly Army retrograde "B" models - oldest in-country-) ...navy rebuilt them, flew them heavier (m60, twin rocket pods, mini gun & 50 cal) AND at night (which the Army wouldn't do) in support of SEALS & PBR's . When GB's got in trouble after dark, their own support could not come out, they called us.
    So, the Capt. came back empty handed .. commissioned PAO to do the "Squadron Story" for a congressional slide show. They found me. Provided a bird w/pilot and all the film I needed, and we set out for a month , touring the dets, doing scrambles etc ...until we were brought down ..the hard way.

trained as a CTI , worked as a PH for PAO , retired from Intel as a SCE.

it's just alphabet soup ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Not sure if this is RC's old ride (or the SCO's) and up topside, working.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Dr. E , you may recognize the early AM strikes from Yankee Station ..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dieg

My GQ station was in the Chief's mess. They HAD their own goodies in a private refrig. We didn't mind hours at GQ

GOAT LOCKER. Acey-Deucy & Top-Secret imbibables.

why did they drop the "a" from "CVA"

When CVS (Antisubmarie Warfare) carriers were done away with. The Lockheed S3 antisub aircraft and its ops/support was added to the CVA's & CVN's.

Seawolf, do you recall the race riot we had during ORE/OR off San Diego? This was prior to the Jan. '73 Wespac deployment.

I think we should go PM with this, OK with you?
    Last edited by Doctor_Electron; 06-12-2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Browser Goof.

Today I UPS'ed the original "Sessions" CD's made by Drew Daniels to HJames for safe keeping. You might consider corresponding with her about getting a copy (for educational purposes only).

Best regards to all, "dOc"

<|>

P,S. Happy Birthday, USA, Let's hope we can get her back to something close to what her "Parents" had in mind for her to be way back in 1776.
    Last edited by Doctor_Electron; 07-04-2013 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Browser Operator Goof

Today I UPS'ed the original "Sessions" CD's made by Drew Daniels to HJames for safe keeping.You might correspond with her about getting a copy (for educational purposes only).
    I expect it'll take a few days to travel cross-country. Once I have them I'll see what I can do with them, and then I'll let everyone know further info.
    I would expect the options would be to dupe the discs, or to rip them to FLAC files.

But today we're busy completely emptying our Home theater room for a new carpet installation tomorrow morning - its been a long time coming!
    Afterwards I have to replace and rewire all the surrounds and such. At least I put wheels on the Salamander cabinet so once everything is unplugged
    I can just roll it into the kitchen (the replacement sofa comes in early August!).

Anyway, I'll have more info next week on the Sessions tracks.
    PM me if you are interested and let me know what you like - duped discs or FLAC files.
    I expect you can just send me some blank discs to burn files to and maybe a buck for the return postage,
    and I'll reuse your mailer ... just like the old ROIO bootlegs groups did ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

P,S. Happy Birthday, USA, Let's hope we can get her back to something close to what her "Parents" had in mind for her to be way back in 1776.
    +1
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I expect it'll take a few days to travel cross-country. Once I have them I'll see what I can do with them, and then I'll let everyone know further info.

Okay, the 2 Sessions CDs arrived well packed and safe late last week.

The discs are data discs on CDs that include the music files (aiff) in one directory as well as other directories with images, pdf, word docs and such.
    I initially tried using Disc Utility to simply make a whole disc image of each CD (iso or dmg file) but I got failures when I tried to do that.

After the first series of errors I looked carefully at the discs and thought they were smudgy cloudy,
    so I took them to a sink and washed them thoroughly with a gentle hand soap and warm water.
    But after patting them dry it appears they have some microchipping and scratches and such, which may be causing some issues.

I made another attempt by ripping the files as FLAC files to a directory, (and on another pass ripping them as ALAC files to yet another directory).
    (I've got a couple spare 2TB drive in my data library). But those attempts had errors as well.

My (early 2009) macpro has the factory superdrive - which is a DVD/CD combo burner/reader.
    Its good but I did have issues reading some copy-protection, DRM laden discs
    (I had a problem "ripping" 2 different copies of King Crimson's USA, for instance, yet they play fine in my OPPOs or Emma's macMini) ...

So, I've did something I've been considering for a while now - I ordered a second Optical disc drive from MacSales Thursday.
    Its from a different manufacturer, its pretty cheap and its a 30 minute install ... once I get it.
    Hopefully the additional drive will arrive midweek and I hope to have time to install it by next weekend,
    so I can do some more tests then. and see how the Sessions discs are read in this brand of Optical drive.

Basically, what this means so far is its not going to be a 5 minute job to dupe the discs ...
    so I'm investigating and troubleshooting, and will write more info when I have some.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Thanks for your efforts on our behalf!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Thanks for your efforts on our behalf!
    Yup, most appreciated Heather.

If you get stuck, let me know. I've had decent luck using some of the Linux tools for binary image reconstruction (mainly aggressive re-reads).

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    If you get stuck, let me know. I've had decent luck using some of the Linux tools for binary image reconstruction (mainly aggressive re-reads).
    Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions ...
    hoping the new drive arrives in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions ...
    hoping the new drive arrives in the next few days.
    Hello HJ, any progress or new information?

I don't know what software/hardware Drew used to make the CD's, but I did notice that all the tracks would play consecutively as in a "jukebox" mode. I've never seen that before.

Now I wish I had looked at the files with ZTREEWIN, where one can display the innards of a file, which is more often than not useful in analyzing such mysteries.

Does anyone have access to a high quality analog to digital converter? If you have a good soundcard the analog output could be digitized and a format selected (or not?)

Didn't someone make CD recorders with analog inputs? I am really drawing a blank on this, as it is a new set of gremlins.

Thanks though, HJ, for trying.

Thread Information