Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL L100 midrange !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    What is the yellowing of the woofer on the left?
    Some time around smokers, perhaps?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

jbl
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Some time around smokers, perhaps?
    You may be right. No one smokes at home and my 1975 L100s don't show any discoloration. Thomas, any pealing of the Aquaplas?

Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    You may be right. No one smokes at home and my 1975 L100s don't show any discoloration. Thomas, any pealing of the Aquaplas?
    Every thing is blamed on smokers! (although I agree, tobacco smoke CAN indeed foul things up)
    I've seen the yellow glue joints on woofers with pristine white cones, so that's enough empirical evidence for me that something else is going on
    May even be the paricular batch of glue
    I've have good luck with white Aquaplas woofers and have only experienced small chips on the edges when removing hardened Lansalloy surrounds
    I don't think it's anything to worry about
    Thomas

jbl
    Makes sense.

Speaking of L100 mids; how tightly sealed does the mid chamber need to be? My seal, as far as woofer pressure or turbulence goes (the mid's little chamber or cup) is fine and solid to the baffle and the wires are well sealed at the entry point in the little cup.
    These are an original owner pair and the drivers have only been in and out once, but I can feel that those crummy little wood screws wouldn't need much to strip out of the MDF baffle.
    I just snugged mine up (a couple not as "snug" as I would like) and counted my Blessings.
    Neither of my cabs used a gasket on the mids either.
    "OK" or should I try to tighten up those holes or go with some longer screws?
    Would they benefit from gaskets? (O-ring seals)

Thomas

All the drivers in my L100's had gaskets. "O" rings on the mid and woofer a flat paper gasket on the tweeter. There are groves in the frames for the woofer and mids where the "O" rings fit.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    All the drivers in my L100's had gaskets. "O" rings on the mid and woofer a flat paper gasket on the tweeter. There are groves in the frames for the woofer and mids where the "O" rings fit.

Rob

Hello!
    Yes, I can see the groove, but no O-ring.
    I do have the proper woofer O-rings and the paper gaskets on the LE25s.
    Just wondering if any response is lost on the mid with the missing (never installed) O-ring?
    They were never there on this pair.
    Don't know if the mid's enclosure has to be "sealed" as in acoustic suspension sealed or just sealed well enough to prevent the woofer from interfering?

Thomas

The mids mainly need to be sealed on the inside can. Sealing the outer flange isn't a huge deal, but it really should be well sealed. I'll wager there are o-rings around that will fit the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    The mids mainly need to be sealed on the inside can. Sealing the outer flange isn't a huge deal, but it really should be well sealed. I'll wager there are o-rings around that will fit the driver.
    Hello,
    Yes, I'm sure there are. Problem is sourcing them. I've long ago given up on trying to source little odds and ends like this from JBL. They don't seem very motivated to fool with this sort of stuff.
    I would think they would/should be the hollow type like on the woofers to allow for a nice compression seal without stressing the mounting flange, not to mention the lousy wood screw holes.
    I'm going to have to reinforce my screw holes too, during this R&R to double check wiring I became aware of the fact that they're starting to get to that point where they're going to stop getting snug soon and just spin 'round and round.
    Don't know why they didn't use T-nuts on these. This big grain density MDF stinks for wood screws

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    They could have been manufactured at different times. Take a look at the label and the color of the tweeter surrounds. The originals were yellow. Latter ones were black.

Rob
    I know this thread is ancient; doing some research and came across it.

I thought the original LE25 tweeters had the dark reddish orange surrounds and the later black.

When were they ever yellow? LE20 or LE25s?

Or if you're talking LE5-2s I've never seen a yellow surround on one of those either?

Please advise

Thank you

Thread Information