Thread: Recapping 4430s?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Recapping 4430s?

It's been about ten days now since I drove home with a minty, original owner, mirror-imaged pair of 4430s. Except for refoamed woofers, they are bone-stock and perfectly original. Now, being me, I must have read 25+ threads on these speakers, and no one seems to agree on the best approach to the crossovers. I have seen recommended everything from leaving them alone, to biamping or charge-coupling them.

I am probably not inclined to do anything as drastic as reconfiguring the crossovers, biamping them or constructing charge-coupled crossovers. I would, however, consider upgrading the capacitors, and so I have pored over various vendor sites for hours looking at film caps of various types, thinking about whether to mess with the stock caps and the bypass caps.

I found one thread where Zilch basically said that the only thing worth doing was to replace the bypass caps with Audiocap Thetas. I like that advice because it's so cheap and easy. But that would leave the factory Mylar main caps in place, and I know they're relatively low grade.

Does anyone have a firm opinion about replacing the caps (as compared to building new crossovers, etc.)? At this point, I'm torn between (1) doing nothing; (2) upgrading the main Mylar caps to polypropylene film caps and omitting bypass caps as superfluous; and (3) just replacing the bypass caps with Thetas.

I'm curious to hear from someone who's tried one or more of the second two options. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information