Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up 4401's: opinion would it be crime if I redid the face blue?!?!

Cool Just picked up 4401's: opinion would it be crime if I redid the face blue?!?!

I'm prepping to restore a pair of 4401s. I have a pair of 4313bs I restored and not only love their sound but love the looks...especially the blue front. Im thinking of giving my 4401s a blue face...I typically like to keep thing as factory as possible but it's not like these have a huge resale value. I don't know, figured I ask the JBL community what they believe I should do. I feel like it might be kind of corny/tacky since the blue face is not meant to be... What's your guys thoughts?

Ive read several people subbing the 033 tweet for the 034. Anyone first hand comparison?

Any advice on the recap as far as types of caps? Or any mods? I haven't searched that yet...I'll get there later tonight but if you've got something to add... I've only done one recap and it was basic but so are these...

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Blue face

Yes, small and large JBLs looks good in blue.
    My 4401 is still black. Maybe I change one day.

Name:  JBL 4406 DIY 002 (800x600).jpg
Views: 3977
Size:  229.3 KB

That looks like the woof from an 18Ti rather than a 115H with white Aquaplas

Ah its 4406. !!

Keeping the 4301s as they were, keeps the resale where it should be. I wouldn't swap out anything on the 4301's. I love them just the way they are.

Talking

Thanks for the input guys!

Odd...your speaks look very nice!!!

Audiobeer...I tend to agree. I will fight my urge to go blue on the 4401's.

Red face

I guess I'm just gonna be forced to go buy another 43xx series speaker to cure my blue cravings!
    JBL-4313B, 4430, 4312, 4401, L46...so far.

Thats the best Cure btw, the 4313B's are some of my favorite speakers. Have fun
    Just Play Music.

Red face

Well since your inclined to agree with me buying more 43xx speakers I am inclined to be in total agreement with your agreement. So that being the case, Krunchy what is your contact info? I'm going to tell my wife to talk to you for an explanation!!!

I love the 4313b's!! Haven't had them hooked up for a long while now though. This will certainly change. The only let down I have is my own fault. I refoamed the woofers and did I very nice job. However it was not close to jbl spec when it came to how loose/tight the surrounds we're...more specifically they are too tight, which robs the low end. I plan to have them reconed at some point in the future when I find a reliable reconer with authentic JBL recone kits. I can't wait to have them up and running on all cylinders!!! They already sound amazing!!

4430's are what I have been listening to the majority of the time as of late. I'm due to cycle...

Your Wife is not going to be too thrilled with me but you can tell her I'm your enabler I've been lestening to 4430's as my mains lately as well, before it was the 4313s but since I moved my office to the dungeon I decided to set up the 44s and they're great too. If you're going to expand your Blues I would highly recommend going right straight for the big boys..... 4345s, though if you came across a set of 4343's at a good price I'd consider them as well. The only issue I see going that route is once you got the 4343s at some later point in time you'll probably want to expand againg hence my suggestion to skip them and go for the 45s and save yourself the time. The 45s are incredible but they are big, I A/B them against the 4430s and it was no contest (& the latter are no slouches). I am sure the 4350/55s are great but those are really big, I'd have a hard time sneaking those into the house in the middle of the night
    Just Play Music.

Brilliant!!!!!!

Haha...I like the way you think Krunchy!! If I do go with another 43xx it will be the 4345, 4350, or 4355. Not exactly easy to find or cheap but I subscribe to your train of thought.(ALL ABOARD!!) If I go with something smaller I will always want to know what the next move up must be like...I've considered putting my own pair together...with some outside help of course. Be nice to find a pair already complete though.

Do you have your 4430s on the ground or on some stands...What are you driving the 4430s with? I really enjoy mine but knowing those 4345s are out there wanting me to listen them... The good thing is if I do get the blue monsters and my attempt to throw you under the bus doesn't work out with the wifey, I could always take out the woofers and crash inside the speakers until I find a new place...yep I'll land on my feet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Your Wife is not going to be too thrilled with me but you can tell her I'm your enabler I've been lestening to 4430's as my mains lately as well, before it was the 4313s but since I moved my office to the dungeon I decided to set up the 44s and they're great too. If you're going to expand your Blues I would highly recommend going right straight for the big boys..... 4345s, though if you came across a set of 4343's at a good price I'd consider them as well. The only issue I see going that route is once you got the 4343s at some later point in time you'll probably want to expand againg hence my suggestion to skip them and go for the 45s and save yourself the time. The 45s are incredible but they are big, I A/B them against the 4430s and it was no contest (& the latter are no slouches). I am sure the 4350/55s are great but those are really big, I'd have a hard time sneaking those into the house in the middle of the night

Once nice feature of the 4345 (one of many) is that they need no stands. Sitting just like they were made the HF and UHF are at ear-level for a seated listener. I have no idea why Kenrick keeps showing them on those (expensive) stands but they really don't need any. In case you need any additional enabling!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Once nice feature of the 4345 (one of many) is that they need no stands. Sitting just like they were made the HF and UHF are at ear-level for a seated listener. I have no idea why Kenrick keeps showing them on those (expensive) stands but they really don't need any. In case you need any additional enabling!
    I agree that the Kenrick stands do look kind of tall for their use, but honestly, how are you supposed
    to clean the floor with out some kind of wheelaround to scoot it out of your way?

We don't all have the sheer grunt or strong back of Mr BMWCCA ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I agree that the Kenrick stands do look kind of tall for their use, but honestly, how are you supposed to clean the floor with out some kind of wheelaround to scoot it out of your way?
    We don't all have the sheer grunt or strong back of Mr BMWCCA ...
    The first owner of my 4345s told me he originally had ball casters mounted behind the plinth that raise the whole box just enough to roll. The second owner must have taken them off. The fist owner, no longer a member of this group, shared with me the part number of the ball caster and I bought four pair and mounted them right back in the holes that were waiting for them. Very easy to move on a smooth surface yet they still have no problem shaking the windows.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Exactly, bingo! Low wheels make all the diff!

The first owner of my 4345s told me he originally had ball casters mounted behind the plinth that raise the whole box just enough to roll. The second owner must have taken them off. The first owner, no longer a member of this group, shared with me the part number of the ball caster and I bought four pair and mounted them right back in the holes that were waiting for them. Very easy to move on a smooth surface yet they still have no problem shaking the windows.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

As I recall it was suggested by GT to clean up the bass. I never did it, as it would make all the necessary fooling around that much more difficult. About 8 inches, I think. It would raise the mid tweet, but I don't mind that. In fact, I prefer it when the music makes me get up and move. Does that ever happen to anyone else? Or is that just me? As I recall our Aussie had his up on blocks and had to catch his speaker in an awkward position one night and hurt his back. A large heavy duty wheeled stand would be the thing.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Thread Information