Thread: up grading the 4628B

up grading the 4628B

I have a good pair of 4628b , it has a good pair of E-145s and good pair of 2218s , I have on hand a pair of 2435HPL or a pair of ESS amt 1a airmotion transformer , to replace the 2404 ,
    what would be the best combo ? 2435HPL with what horn ? crossover suggestion ? I aways liked the tight kick of E145 2218 combo . wish zilch was still here !

For what purpose? that's an expensive driver to bolt on to a keyboard cab...
    and when flattened out (response-wise) you might run into an efficiency compatibilty
    issue between drivers (depending on how high you were trying to flatten the response).
    One of the shallow PT horns would be nice if it would fit. A crossover redesign (at least
    for the top end) would be required for response and driver protection.

Grumpy thanks for the reply, I will be using these for music play back for home use . I have read in one of zilchs threads that the port tuning could be a little lower and the 8" mid could crossover lower , and by replacing the 2404s with something that would crossover lower than 3K could be A improvement ?

Hello Kartsmart

Sounds very similar to my mains in my HT set-up. I use an E-145 with 2123’s and PT waveguide with 2435’s. It’s active so only passive compensation on the 2435/PT combo. You could cross the 8” at 300Hz and a PT at about 1.5K or so. The only real issue is the crossover which you are going to have to figure out based on measurements from the box.

As far as the port tuning you are not going to get solid output below 40Hz out of E-145’s. Run them in a box simulator and you will surprised if you have not done so already. You are going to need subs or a sub under them for it not to sound a bit lean. I have 2235’s under mine in B380 boxes.

Grumpys right about flattening out the 2435 on your waveguide of choice. You may run into issues going passive depending on how much roll-off you can live with above 10K or so. You need to run sims to see how it looks. Take a look at systems using the PT's based on a 97/98 db woofer like a 2226 to get an idea about compensation on the 2435 and HF extension. Just make sure it's a waveguide you can actually get your hands on. My favorite PTH1010's are no longer available.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by kartsmart View Post
    I have a good pair of 4628b , it has a good pair of E-145s and good pair of 2218s , I have on hand a pair of 2435HPL or a pair of ESS amt 1a airmotion transformer , to replace the 2404 ,
    what would be the best combo ? 2435HPL with what horn ? crossover suggestion ? I aways liked the tight kick of E145 2218 combo . wish zilch was still here !
    I had 4628b and 4698b before,i like them so much.
    I think 2404 can work very well with 2118,so you can just adjust crossover(E145 is bypass).
    I discuessed 4628b crossover points with Pos on this forum.Pos recommended 2418(?) for me.
    Just try it.
    46 lover

Thread Information