Thread: 2420

I picked up a pair of 2420 mounted on Martin Audio horns from a pa setup. They are crossed over at 1.5 kHz I believe but may be wrong. I'm wondering if these would work with a three way setup using a LE15A 8" midrange and 2405 slot? Can a crossover be lowered in frequency or will the horn limit the level of frequency?

here is a web page for reference.

http://www.martin-audio.com/archived...Adatasheet.pdf

I use the same horn with a 2445 on it, I found 1K is lowest I can go that it still sounds good. Curently im using it with the 4355 network that crosses at 1.1K and lets it run to 10K where normaly a 2405 takes over, i use a 2403 . So seems you only need to get it working with the 8"unit. Although I would think a slightly bigger unit (12") would combine better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Bleeker View Post
    I use the same horn with a 2445 on it, I found 1K is lowest I can go that it still sounds good. Curently im using it with the 4355 network that crosses at 1.1K and lets it run to 10K where normaly a 2405 takes over, i use a 2403 . So seems you only need to get it working with the 8"unit. Although I would think a slightly bigger unit (12") would combine better.

I can't remember what 8" driver it's is but I know it's a valuable professional JBL 8" driver. Hmmm cutoff at 10k for tweeter?

10k is what they do in the big monitors and I must say it works fine. Might take a look at the 4355 posts in the forums. 8" ... well my personal experience is, (not scientiffic) that somehow a small unit between the 15 and the 2" driver/horn combo sounds like something is missing, although I have no clue what happens if you use a 1" driver with adapter behind it. Maybe try first to run the 15" to the horn and see how that sounds, to get an Idea. (might be a BIT colored ) but the dynamics should be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Bleeker View Post
    10k is what they do in the big monitors and I must say it works fine. Might take a look at the 4355 posts in the forums. 8" ... well my personal experience is, (not scientiffic) that somehow a small unit between the 15 and the 2" driver/horn combo sounds like something is missing, although I have no clue what happens if you use a 1" driver with adapter behind it. Maybe try first to run the 15" to the horn and see how that sounds, to get an Idea. (might be a BIT colored ) but the dynamics should be there.
    I have no idea what the midbass 8" driver is crossed at but I put one horn on top with an l-pad to pad down and instantly much better response. Attack I the drums voices are more clear with it off they sound warm but lack high mid frequency. Thanks for your help. I may cross them down to 1khz later and see how it sounds.

Thread Information