Thread: Displacement of horns and drivers

Displacement of horns and drivers

I have seen displacements for most larger low frequency drivers, but I am curious to know if anyone has ever compiled a listing or spreadsheet of the displacements of high frequency horns and their related drivers as they would relate to internal enclosure volume.

I have done a search here but found nothing.

If not, anyone have any better ideas than using a "known" displacement container and pouring sand around a plastic wrapped horn and driver combo, removing it and then CAREFULLY measuring as you re-fill the container?

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    some folks think that the volume lost in bracing and components is gained virtually through
    the use of insulation...

Calculate area (Pi x R^sq) and multiply by length. That should give you the volume of a specific compression driver.

If it's a large/deep horn, I'd just approximate or baffle it off internally...
    tuning will be off no matter how close you estimate volumes and will likely
    require adjustment (stuffing and/or port length).

Sounds like the easiest way to go

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    If it's a large/deep horn, I'd just approximate or baffle it off internally...
    tuning will be off no matter how close you estimate volumes and will likely
    require adjustment (stuffing and/or port length).

I am building some Home Theater left and right fronts to fit my constrained space requirements. I do not want to completely change the living room decorating scheme (dramatically affecting WAF) just to use my JBLs again.

So I may just do this anyway, using the internal baffle to add further support to the 2370 horns and compromise on the internal volume of the Low Frequency section. Right now I am very roughly calculating half of two horns and drivers, juxtaposed for a volume, as if I was squaring a simple triangle and taking half to attain a volume figure.
    It seems as I am calculating that with the horns mounted internally, required bracing, fairly large port, I will have just under 4 cubic feet to support an E140 for lows.

I have a prototype built and it sounds pretty good, but once I decide to crank these babies, I am concerned I may need an additional brace or two.

Common sense tells me to compromise on absolutely following recommendations and use these E140s in about a roughly 3.3 cubic foot enclosure, retuning the port into a slot and and simply continue to make them fit in the space I have.

I don't need 40Hz out of my fronts, really, since I am already using a fairly impressive, biamped sub woofer system for LFE.

My center is already in action, using two E110s and a 2370/2425 combo, tuned to about 70Hz and heavily stuffed. I am very pleased with this result.

(Yes, I am bringing some leftovers from my old sound reinforcement system into the house to play movies through. )

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys.

Thread Information