Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2245 active 3 way

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Hi Lee,

The settings for the 2245 is +6 db @ 26hz, Q=2. Its in a 8 cuft box tuned to 26hz.

The bass quality is amazing. It is very detailed and musical. It may sound dry to some but it will not play any bass that is not there.

Dan
    Thanks. So, you are able to reach up to circa 300Hz on the 2245?

I am asking as I plan to use a 2245 (20-350Hz) and a 2360 (350Hz-20KHz) as a two-way system. i currently have a 2245 as a sub (20-50Hz) and use two 2226 to 400Hz and two 2360 on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Thanks. So, you are able to reach up to circa 300Hz on the 2245?

I am asking as I plan to use a 2245 (20-350Hz) and a 2360 (350Hz-20KHz) as a two-way system. i currently have a 2245 as a sub (20-50Hz) and use two 2226 to 400Hz and two 2360 on top.
    Hi Lee,

The 2245 is suppose to be flat to 500hz so 350hz should be ok but I think the optimum freq is 270-300hz.

I have heard the 4345 which uses a 9cu ft cab tuned to 30hz. It has a fuller bottom end compared to the 8cu ft tuned to 26hz but the mid bass is not as defined and as musical as the 8cu ft. If I remember correctly Bass box pro recommends a 7.5cuft cab tuned to 26-27hz. The 8cuft cab may also sound better in a smaller room due to less interaction of the low frequencies with the room.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Looks like a very nice set up. Those horns look quite diminutive on those drivers. It's no wonder you have to cross them over fairly high, but then I suppose larger versions would loose some output on the upper end.

From the shot over the back of the couch it looks like you are sitting a mile away from the speakers... just how big is that room and what are the speaker distance and listener dimensions?

Widget

Seems like you could do well in such a space to pull the speakers forward a bit- the TV is definitely creating some interference patterns in the mids. Also, I've found that foam works best as an extension of the waveguide- if you can shape it so it's at the edge of the WG and shaped to not protrude, you'll reduce reflections off the foam and it'll sound better, IME. Basic open cell foam has a combination of reflective and absorptive properties, so it's most effectively used with this in mind. Ideally you'd use it to create a lossy termination going all the way around the corner of the cab.

Edit:
    With the foam thing, I'm talking about the ribbon system above, not the TAD setup.

Smile

TD-2002 new in box gives me goosebumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Hi Dan,

Looks like a very nice set up. Those horns look quite diminutive on those drivers. It's no wonder you have to cross them over fairly high, but then I suppose larger versions would loose some output on the upper end.

From the shot over the back of the couch it looks like you are sitting a mile away from the speakers... just how big is that room and what are the speaker distance and listener dimensions?

Widget
    Hi Widget,

The room itself is 20ft wide by 16ft deep and opens up to the living/ dining room. My listening position is about 14ft from the speakers. The ceiling is vaulted and is about 15ft at its highest point. I had the house built last year and designed it with an open floor plan. The floor plan was designed to optimize the location and size of the media room I can sit at the kitchen island and still watch TV

A folding wall to enclose the media room is part of the design. So this can be installed if needed.

Name:  dining table.jpg
Views: 2731
Size:  78.2 KB

I'll be testing larger Le Cleac'h horns and see how low the cut off can go with out compromising the top end.

Dan

Very beautiful system. I also put my ribbons aside some time ago. I wasnt very pleased with the dispersion. I might have to make a costum waveguide of some kind as you did to make it work better.

/Mostly

There is a 30ohm resistor in series on the 2002 as recommended by Jean Michael Le 'Cleache to smoothen out the 2K region.
    You got this from a forum or directly from monsieur LeCleach? If from a forum please post the link. A friend of mine has the same horn....

Horn shoot out

Quote Originally Posted by more10 View Post
    You got this from a forum or directly from monsieur LeCleach? If from a forum please post the link. A friend of mine has the same horn....
    http://www.triodefestival.net/index....-2010-shootout

Here is the link to the 2010 European Horn shoot out. On the bottom page you can click on the PDF file that has the graphs and more detailed info.

Dan

The classic hole of the TD2001 response around 1900Hz is annulled by the use of a 30ohm serial resistor.
    Is the TD2002 the same?

Any way to share the CNC cutting info in case some wish to try getting a cabinet cut? Also, how would one go about finding a CNC wood cutting shop? Could the whole cabinet be made from thick baltic birch?
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Beyma ribbon waveguide/ horn

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Testing the 2118 in a MTM set up. Seemless intergation with all the drivers. Sound stage is much taller. An improvement compared to a single 2118. It plays lound and clear at 100db efficiency. Crossover points for now are LR-24, 270, 1650.

Attachment 59088

Attachment 59089

Dan
    Hello Dan,

The waveguide for Beyma ribbon looks very interesting. What coverage angles was this designed for? Also, would you be able to provide some dimensional data?

Thanks,

Bruce

Thread Information