Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2245 active 3 way

In a damp environment, I believe I'd prefer to have fiberglass than cotton. I'm in a damp environment. As a motorcyclist of now over 43 years, I've experienced wet denim. Talk about irritating!

According to the American Lung Association:
    The International Agency on Cancer Research (IACR) removed fiberglass from its “possibly carcinogenic to humans” list in 2001.

Great project, by the way! Love the K1s. Are you bridging one for each 2245? That's a ton of power!

As others have asked, tell us how it sounds!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Impressive design

Looks like the room they are in is pretty large!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Crown K1

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    In a damp environment, I believe I'd prefer to have fiberglass than cotton. I'm in a damp environment. As a motorcyclist of now over 43 years, I've experienced wet denim. Talk about irritating!

According to the American Lung Association:

Great project, by the way! Love the K1s. Are you bridging one for each 2245? That's a ton of power!

As others have asked, tell us how it sounds!
    The Crown K1 is not bridged. I tried bridging them but did not see any advantage in this 3 way set up unless you plan on listening at concert levels. There is a lot of bass headroom with the 2245 and 350 watts. The K1 needs an input voltage of 1.4V to work properly. My HT pre amp has both balanced and unbalanced outputs. I use the balanced out put (1.4V) to drive the Behringer DCX 2496 and the K1. The unbalanced output drives the Mini DSP and the mid/high amps. There is a mismatch of input voltages in the amps which is why I use 2 types of active crossovers. I'm using 3 mini dsp (L-C-R) with the 4 way software.

I'm thinking of adding one more 2245 for the LFE channel. This I will probably bridge

What I really like is that I can play the system at full power with no listening fatigue

The 2245 has the best bass (26hz-300hz) I have heard. Very detailed, dynamic. Hifi sound with the dynamics of a pro woofer. I was worried it might decrease the imaging but it didn't.

The Beyma 8m70V2 8" mid(95db) is so smooth and images very well. I tried the JBL 2123 but it did not meet my requirements. It did not image well. My ears would hurt after listening to them no matter how much I pad them down at the crossover. I also tried an Lpad and resistors but it was just too efficient at 101db for my taste.

The Beyma TPL-150 is an AMT(air motion transformer) type tweeter. If you like the sound of Beryllium but don't like the cost this one is for you Its the next best thing. I tried the horn version but it did not image well. It also sounded more like a pro audio speaker. The one without the wave guide did not blend well with the mid, lacked detail and dynamics which why I chose to make a custom wave guide. The custom wave guide images well and blends in with the mid. Its like they are one

Dan

Very nice setup you have there!

I had a Crown K2 for my sub system as well for a while, and liked it a lot! Very transparent, strong bass amplifier!
    If you want LFE, you would probably have to build a very large cabinet to tune it as low as LFE goes. I think the 2245 is a great low frequency transducer, but has a harder time doing extended low material. Something to think about, and I know it´s hard to give a way some of the musicality. But modern bass drivers are more likely to do the extended low information, and you still have the needed power, even when/if going a bit down in sensitivity

Keep it up! Looks awesome!!

Best regards
    Martin

Very nice build

I was happy to see you use 41hz amps. I have built a few of them myself. The amp6 is without power suppy, and amp4 is with power supply. The easiest way to improve these are to build your own stablilized power supply (for feedback comparator), which requires a model without power supply. You could also replace the crowns with amp8!

Mårten

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I don't own the CNC. At one point I was considering on getting one. A local shop with a CNC cuts the parts for me. These are just test boxes. The fit is not so good. I had to make a lot of adjustments manually. I will modify the parts in the computer before CNC cutting the final boxes. I will make a new set to be veneered with walnut. The waveguide will be milled in solid walnut.
    I would suggest you use baltic birch plywood for your bracing in the final version. MDF while inert is also lacking in structural integrity... it is like soggy paper. If you brace the cabinets with 1" thick birch plywood the box will be far more rigid and the resulting bass will be even more taught.

Aesthetically I like the idea of using solid walnut for the waveguides... that will be very pretty.

Interesting project... very boxy for being an out of the box solution.

Widget

Good to see I'm not the only one with an ugly setup :-) Does the 8" Beyma keep up with the 2245?

Quote Originally Posted by frank23 View Post
    Good to see I'm not the only one with an ugly setup :-) Does the 8" Beyma keep up with the 2245?
    No problem with the Beyma keeping up with the 2245.

Dan

Keep up what?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    No problem with the Beyma keeping up with the 2245.

Dan

What am I missing, here?

What can an 8 do that an 18 can not do better, except above 1KHz, possibly, with a bit less beaming?

Quote Originally Posted by BeDome View Post
    What am I missing, here?

What can an 8 do that an 18 can not do better, except above 1KHz, possibly, with a bit less beaming?
    Well, even JBL crossed the 2245 at 290Hz in the 4345. There must be a reason.

point taken

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Well, even JBL crossed the 2245 at 290Hz in the 4345. There must be a reason.

Alrighty, then.

That was kind of my thinking, but I thought it could go another octave without too much beaming.

I probably misunderstood something in the previous posts.

The 2245 cone is very heavy. It is not intended to do anything but bass. Cones from the 2241 and 2242 are lighter and could go up to 600/700Hz.

Nuthun' but BASS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    The 2245 cone is very heavy. It is not intended to do anything but bass. Cones from the 2241 and 2242 are lighter and could go up to 600/700Hz.
    Yep, got it.

It is just such an exciting thread, I read it too fast at first and missed the question of sensitivity.

I love a great DIY project and I read about them, even at my age, like a kid stuffing two handfuls of candy in his mouth all at once.

2245+2118+Beyma TPL150

Testing now a 2118 for the mid. So far its the best mid yet. The speakers dissappear in front of you. All you hear is the music. Its like having a center speaker on the vocals. Its smooth and images much better than the 2122, 2123. Crossover points are LR24 250, 1350.

Name:  speakers 027.jpg
Views: 5894
Size:  156.9 KB

Name:  speakers 028.jpg
Views: 5922
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  speakers 029.jpg
Views: 3798
Size:  107.1 KB

It is now about 70% JBL

Dan

2245, 2118 mtm

Testing the 2118 in a MTM set up. Seemless intergation with all the drivers. Sound stage is much taller. An improvement compared to a single 2118. It plays lound and clear at 100db efficiency. Crossover points for now are LR-24, 270, 1650.

Name:  speakers 031.jpg
Views: 4405
Size:  172.4 KB

Name:  speakers 030.jpg
Views: 4422
Size:  96.8 KB

Dan

Thread Information