Thread: Ran across this, had to share it. Tweaks That Really Work

Ran across this, had to share it. Tweaks That Really Work

By Fred T:

Over the years I've tried almost every tweak in the book, and I finally concluded that most of the commercially available tweaks have much in common with the weight loss products found in early morning infomercials. They work, but only if you believe they work.

In spite of this disappointing experience I've found a few affordable under-$100 tweaks that make an immediate and noticeable difference. I prepared a summary, and you can find it here:

http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/Hobbies...5835&k=nmMQbw3
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

No pig-shaped cable elevators? Missing a great sonic opportunity there.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

if the pigs were made from maple, they'd be ever better ..just ask Pierre.

more "upgrades"
    http://mapleshadestore.com/upgrades.php

sample.

"Removing the metal covers of electronics enclosures leads to large, sometimes HUGE, sonic improvements in 98% of components: amps (a must-hear for big solid state amps), preamps, CD players, power supplies, processors, etc. The dramatic improvement is due to a) elimination of cover resonances and b) even more important, elimination of major eddy current losses generated in the cover by the big leakage fields of the component’s power transformer. Once the metal cover is off, improve the sound further with weights on top of transformers and/or on top of any wood cover you may use to replace the metal cover (wood covers cause essentially no degradation)."
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

more "upgrades"

sample.

"Removing the metal covers of electronics enclosures leads to large, sometimes HUGE, sonic improvements in 98% of components: amps (a must-hear for big solid state amps), preamps, CD players, power supplies, processors, etc. The dramatic improvement is due to a) elimination of cover resonances and b) even more important, elimination of major eddy current losses generated in the cover by the big leakage fields of the component’s power transformer. Once the metal cover is off, improve the sound further with weights on top of transformers and/or on top of any wood cover you may use to replace the metal cover (wood covers cause essentially no degradation)."
    There's a whole lot of arcane knowledge there. I doubt my ears are good enough to hear the differences, though.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

more "upgrades"

sample.

Now that's what I call a worthwhile upgrade!
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Quote Originally Posted by fpitas View Post
    No pig-shaped cable elevators? Missing a great sonic opportunity there.
    Ha.

This forum needs a like button for comments being left

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundz View Post
    Ha.

This forum needs a like button for comments being left
    +1 ... oh wait, that was it

What kind of speaker is the Big Pig on? It looks really nice. I'd love to see a full picture (including the pig!).

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    What kind of speaker is the Big Pig on? It looks really nice. I'd love to see a full picture (including the pig!).

Fred is a fellow Houstonian. Though I havent met him in person I know of him builds. He's a big speaker diy'er. So Im assuming its of his own design.

Nick

Is there a Cryo treated version?

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post

Reminds me of some of the big tower Infinity speakers, but I couldn't say which one it is.

Thread Information