Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E145 help needed

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    That's a 145, correct?
    Yes, that would be a 145.

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...hartsfield.htm

Read this on the Hartsfield - it will shed some light on the woofer - the backend of the 150-4C is the same as a D130, but the extension ring was added for the deeper cone. The profile of the cone in a 150-4C is straight edged, while the D130 was curvilinear - it was angled towards the voice coil pretty steeply in the center, but the cone is almost flat at the outer edge. Since the 150-4C was designed for horn loading, the stiffer cone was needed, but an increase in excursion was not. I do not know when overhung voicecoils came into vogue, but I would assume early sixties and sealed (Acoustic Suspension) alignments, though JBL stuck with underhung later than that. I don't know when the first overhung JBL came out (2231A, maybe?), but it might be a fun exercise to find.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

I'll read it.

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    Yes, that would be a 145.

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...hartsfield.htm

Read this on the Hartsfield - it will shed some light on the woofer - the backend of the 150-4C is the same as a D130, but the extension ring was added for the deeper cone. The profile of the cone in a 150-4C is straight edged, while the D130 was curvilinear - it was angled towards the voice coil pretty steeply in the center, but the cone is almost flat at the outer edge. Since the 150-4C was designed for horn loading, the stiffer cone was needed, but an increase in excursion was not. I do not know when overhung voicecoils came into vogue, but I would assume early sixties and sealed (Acoustic Suspension) alignments, though JBL stuck with underhung later than that. I don't know when the first overhung JBL came out (2231A, maybe?), but it might be a fun exercise to find.

pictures

speakers baskets are like women - to compare correctly you have to have one in each hand..

I don't have any of the old deep alnico's here ( I think ) but that part of the storage room is not visited often.

I do have a pair of recone kits C32R2220 from an organ repair center - I believe that IS the replacement cone for the very old D130A variant used in the first gen horn load statement cabs but need to find a 20yr+ old "goes into list" that has it listed.

Back in the day the "130" number was used a LOT - and there were top plate and gap width variations so beware..

LOL. I bet. I figured Id focus on one driver at a time for now. But it does seem that in the begining lansing one use 1 15" basket for all the 15" drivers they made. Im talking about in the late 40's.

As far as I know they only made 3 15" driver back then. And they are were made with pretty much the same parts just switch around. Excpet for the cone on the 150 that is. I wouldnt be surprise if they voice coil on the 150 was the same coil on the 130a/b. But its just a hunch.

Is the frame on the k145 a frame from a 2215/ le15? Minus the extension ring of course.

Thanks,
    Nick

comparison

[QUOTE=subwoof;347246]speakers baskets are like women - to compare correctly you have to have one in each hand..

LOL. I like your thinking subwoof.

Here's a pic of a 150-4C and E145 side by side. The frame edges ARE different. I found out the hard way
    I was going to swap out the 150s with the 145s in my Paragon (just for grins) and discovered the 145
    didn't fit. It's slightly wider than the 150 which fits snugly against an interior wall of the cab.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    OPUS POCUS

[QUOTE=57BELAIRE;347264]
    Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    speakers baskets are like women - to compare correctly you have to have one in each hand..

LOL. I like your thinking subwoof.

Here's a pic of a 150-4C and E145 side by side. The frame edges ARE different. I found out the hard way
    I was going to swap out the 150s with the 145s in my Paragon (just for grins) and discovered the 145
    didn't fit. It's slightly wider than the 150 which fits snugly against an interior wall of the cab.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little
    Hey 57, thanks. That surprises me. But not too much. Thats a good picture though. How does a 150 compare to an e145, as far as bass produced? Are they pretty comparably?

Wow, look at the difference in the top plate. Its double the size of the 150. That sure puts things into perspective. I wonder if the actual cones are similar or completely different.

Don't really know why I'm finding this interesting. But I do, LOL.

Thanks for humoring me yall.

Nick

Thread Information