Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jbl 537-500

Jbl 537-500

Hello Lansing people,

First question ever at this forum so bear with me

Whats the deal with these horns? They go for serious dollars at ebay and yet there arent much to be read about them. Xover frequencies? Do they need a tweeter? By the looks of them I would say 800Hz like the 2395 and that they need a tweeter though. Is it the way they sound that makes them so expensive or is it the fact that they are rare and sought after by many?

/Regards
    Mostly

Obsolete
    They are collector's items.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostlydiy View Post
    Whats the deal with these horns?
    Bear in mind I have never heard them or even seen a pair in person, but I have owned a couple variants of the much smaller 1" exit versions... I think the high cost of the 537-500s is collector value and mystique. The small ones sound pretty "vintage" in my opinion and other than being a compact design that will fit conveniently behind a grille, I would never waste a good driver behind one. I can't imagine the big brother is superior to the 2397 or even the big serpentine horn lens... and now days there are so many superior horns, except in the case of restoring a vintage system for display purposes, I'd stay away from most of these older horns.

Widget

Im not surpriced by your replies. Most of the time you see a pair, they are coupled with bubble back 375s, which how I understand it sound like 2440 but costs 10 times more. It would be fun to hear a pair though. I belive most of the copies are sold in asia.

/mostly

Im not surpriced by your replies. Most of the time you see a pair, they are coupled with bubble back 375s, which how I understand it sound like 2440 but costs 10 times more. It would be fun to hear a pair though. I belive most of the copies are sold in asia.

/mostly
    The 375 doesn't just sound like a 2440. Its basically is a 2440. The difference is cosmetic.

At least that the impression Ive got.

Nick

Thats what Ive read too. One would think that they made at least some tiny change during the ~ 25 years they were produced, when they changed from bubble back to the black backside ie. Looks as if the back chamber changed volume or something. Anyway, could be that IŽll make myself an own impression. I might have some drivers incoming.

/mostly

Thats what Ive read too. One would think that they made at least some tiny change during the ~ 25 years they were produced, when they changed from bubble back to the black backside ie. Looks as if the back chamber changed volume or something. Anyway, could be that IŽll make myself an own impression. I might have some drivers incoming.

/mostly

Ive never seen a 375 in person. But it doesnt look like there is less volume in the back chamber of a 375.

Im sure Its just me seeing stuff again... They do look quite different though.

Name:  jbl svart.jpg
Views: 3050
Size:  8.9 KB Name:  jbl bb.jpg
Views: 3289
Size:  7.2 KB

Anyway, I know my 2441 sounds pretty good without back covers all together and I believe the 375 do too

Im sure Its just me seeing stuff again... They do look quite different though.

Name:  jbl svart.jpg
Views: 3050
Size:  8.9 KB Name:  jbl bb.jpg
Views: 3289
Size:  7.2 KB

Anyway, I know my 2441 sounds pretty good without back covers all together and I believe the 375 do too

Ya but what about the phase plug. What do they look like. Outside appearance doesnt matter much to do with the sound.

Besides the shape of the back cap look at where the terminals are. Look at where the screws are. Its all the same.

Im sure the phase plug is the same and Im sure the back chamber volume is the same. I have no experience of what they sound like, just saying that they look different. I most likely will have the opportunity to se and test for myself in a matter of a few weeks and I will probably say like everybody else that they sound just the same as well.

Im sure the phase plug is the same and Im sure the back chamber volume is the same. I have no experience of what they sound like, just saying that they look different. I most likely will have the opportunity to se and test for myself in a matter of a few weeks and I will probably say like everybody else that they sound just the same as well.

If you get your hands on one can you take some pictures on the phase plug? Im curious to see it. I have 2445's and 2440's. But the diaphragms are from a apir of 375's. For hifi I think the 375 diaphragms are the best sounding jbl made. But not the most extended Highs though.

For what its worth Ive often concidered trying to diy a pair of 537-500's. But I havent yet found enough info on the horn.

Nick

Off Topic but what the hell...

There is a difference in various 375s and 2440s... later and later versions had loser gap tolerances and therefore have lower magnetic flux densities. Ideally the gap is as tight as possible, but issues with old used diaphragms are a much bigger deal than having a tighter gap... and new diaphragms may or may not fit in the older tighter gapped drivers.

This topic has been covered a few times if you do some searching.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    There is a difference in various 375s and 2440s... later and later versions had loser gap tolerances and therefore have lower magnetic flux densities. Ideally the gap is as tight as possible, but issues with old used diaphragms are a much bigger deal than having a tighter gap... and new diaphragms may or may not fit in the older tighter gapped drivers.

This topic has been covered a few times if you do some searching.

Widget
    Really. I figured it would have went the other way. Do you know what the span was? How bad did it get? I imagine in the vc gap a little bit goes a long way. A couple mils could equal quite a drop in flux. I suppose.

Ill have to do a little diggin on this. Its interresting.

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    Really. I figured it would have went the other way.
    JBLs were even more of a premium product years ago... Mr. Lansing set the bar very high and it has been lowered very slowly ever since. That said, technology has been something of a leveler... the new high end JBLs completely decimate the earlier models even though building an exact copy of an early Paragon today with brand new 150-4Cs and 375s would likely cost much more than a pair of Everests.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    JBLs were even more of a premium product years ago... Mr. Lansing set the bar very high and it has been lowered very slowly ever since. That said, technology has been something of a leveler... the new high end JBLs completely decimate the earlier models even though building an exact copy of an early Paragon today with brand new 150-4Cs and 375s would likely cost much more than a pair of Everests.

Widget
    I bet.

Thread Information