Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: h9800 and 476mg

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mostlydiy View Post
    Have you had the privilege to hear both 476Be and 476Mg?
    Yes.
    As I understand it, the only thing that tells them apart is the diaphram beeing different.
    Correct.
    Are they more or less equal sonically or is there a significant difference?
    Completely dependent on the hearing of the end user.

Be > Mg >> Al > Ti (personal opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Be > Mg >> Al > Ti (personal opinion)
    Be > Mg > Al >> Ti (personal opinion) Opinions vary.

Widget

Thanks for your reply 4313B

By the way, I have a miniDSP in the heart of my horn system and I like it. I haven´t had the opportunity to compare it very much with other filters, but it sounds way better than the recent RANE that I had. I like the interface and the ease of changing Xover, PEQ, levels etc. while actually sitting in your couch, instantly getting an idea of the result of the changes you make.

/Mostly

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Be > Mg > Al >> Ti (personal opinion) Opinions vary.

Widget
    Aww! You should hear my Tannoys with Ti!

Evidently they don't have as many problems with the material as JBL did. I certainly don't feel the need to dump a bunch of aquaplas on them to get them to sound decent.

That Audax dome in the Performance Series didn't need a bucket load of aquaplas on it either.

Which reminds me, I wonder if G.T. was ever able to get the aquaplas off the 476Be's in his Arrays before he sold them. He was going to try soaking them in water for a few days to see if it would loosen up. The 4-inch Be's and Mg's don't seem to need it. I guess that's why Brush Wellman doesn't bother putting it on.

Obsolete
    By the way, I have a miniDSP in the heart of my horn system and I like it.
    I'd like to think that it is the future. It would be nice to have a rack mountable version that one could communicate with wirelessly using their smart phone.

I'd like to think that it is the future. It would be nice to have a rack mountable version that one could communicate with wirelessly using their smart phone.
    Im sure its just a few month away...

The 4-inch Be's and Mg's don't seem to need it
    The 475 Ti is another matter I presume?

/Mostly

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The waveguide is arguably the easiest to use between 1 kHz and 10 kHz, which is probably one of the reasons why it has been so popular. I believe Earl K mentioned that many years ago. The miniDSP allows for delay so the greater depth of the waveguide can be negated.

The sonoglass horns sound better but they need a bit more work to measure nice. They typically end up with two or three notch filters.

I am very interested in the M2 waveguide, still not available as of last week.

One thing I wanted to verify with the miniDSP was that all the settings could be done on the fly in realtime and they can be. It's a fun little hundred dollar gizmo.

I ended up reducing the 6 kHz shelf from 9 dB to 6 dB because hot (flat) tops ends just bother me after awhile. Same thing happened with all the JBL four-way Studio Monitors, I always ended up with the compression driver and slot-loaded ring radiator around the 8 or 9 o'clock position.
    May be, not only FR response, but also THD would give better answers, is it better single large VHF driver or UHF for over 10kHz.
    As JBL shown in their "Technical Notes Volume 1, Number 31 = Progressive TransitionTM (PT) Waveguides" the 2-nd HD is about -26dB on 110dB
    equalized sound level, I think the same results were presented in "Technical Note, Volume 1, Number 21 =JBL’s New Optimized Aperture™
    Horns and Low Distortion Drivers
    ."
    .".............. the basic setup for measuring second harmonic distortion. For these measurements,
    the output level at one meter from the diffraction slot of the horn was carefully maintained at 107 dB SPL
    through the use of the compressor in the B&K test gear. This level corresponds to 87 dB SPL at 10
    meters (33 ft), and thus represents normal application of these horns. The action of the compressor
    simulates, on swept sine wave input signals, flat equalization of the system on axis, as would be the
    case in real world equalization practice for many applications. The total range of compression was about 15 dB.
    ..The JBL 2352/2451 combination is shown ....Again, second harmonic distortion has been raised 20
    dB. Here, midband distortion lies below 1 % up to about 2.5 kHz, reaching a value of 3% at about 9 kHz.
    "

Regards
    Ivica

Thread Information