Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building biased 250Ti networks

Obsolete

Building biased 250Ti networks

Capacitors, inductors and resistors for building biased 250Ti networks.
    All the components are from Solen.
    Original L250 networks are at the top of the photo and will be used as templates.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Smile

Cool !

What about bypass caps ?

Who's the supplier of the laminate-core? inductor ?

<> EarlK

steveh

250 Series

Trying to find some information on the 250 series speakers. What is the difference between the "250 Ti Classics" and the "250 Ti Jubilee's"? Did one preceed the other in the 250 lifecycle? I understand that one of these models came with a charge coupled crossover, does anyone know which one that would be? What would a pair of "250 Ti Classics" in piano black lacquer, mint condition with original boxes be worth. Thank you for entertaining my questions.

Obsolete
    "What about bypass caps ?"

Undecided.

"Who's the supplier of the laminate-core? inductor ?"

Erse.

Hi Steve

Here's what I found in "trying to find information on 250 series speakers" . That search was called "250 Jubilee". One of its threads has 3 different pdf files for the 3 models sold in North America. These "tech-sheets" show you the different parts along with the crossover schematics. To my knowldege, there is no available tech-sheet for the 250 Jubilee. It wasn't sold in North America .

Here's another couple of hits after using the search engine to look for "250 lacquer"

Prices : eBay Germany apparently sells a lot of 250(s) per month. That's a good place to start - to get a value .

<. EarlK

steveh
    Earl,
    Thanks for the information. Couldn't find exactly what I was looking for in the links that you provided. Reason for my questions, I have the opportunity to acquire a pair of 250 Ti Classics that were purchased and are currently in South America. I don't seem to be able to find much information on the "Classic" series. I have read in earlier posts provided by Giskard that some of the later production model 250's (Ti's,) came from the factory with "biased or charge coupled crossovers) and was trying to determine if this particular pair came with such. Do you know (or anyone else) if the 250 Ti Classics were available in the U.S.? If anyone has any information to share, on this model, it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any info.

250 Ti Classics ?

Hi Steve

You're the first to mention this ( Classic ) variant .

It would be nice to know what model tweeter and midrange was in this 250 variant.

More up to date crossovers can always be built - as per the first post in this thread .

<> Earl K

steveh
    Earl,
    Thanks for the additional information. I also have not been able to find information with regards to the "Classic" 250 Ti's. On the backs of the speakers are engraved brass plaques about 3 1/2 by 5 inches that say "250 Ti Classic, manufactured by JBL - Northridge California". I will get some digital photos posted as soon as I can. These were purchased new in Santiago, Chile so perhaps they were not available for the domestic market? They really are quite beautiful in the black (lacquer?) finish and are in pristine condition. Thanks again.

Steve

Thumbs up

Hi Steve

These were purchased new in Santiago, Chile so perhaps they were not available for the domestic market?
    Giskard is the expert on 250(s) around here. In an earlier thread he mentioned which 250 variants were released to the North American market. It does appear these "Classics" were a special off-shore release.

If you are going to take pictures, also include a pic of the crossover/plate/terminal connector area , found in the back.

As I earlier mentioned, the tweeter and upper midrange maybe unknown to the North American market - so - closeups up these parts would be helpful .

I'm guessing you don't yet own these 250(s) ? If and when you do - you might want to remove the above mentioned crossover - take a pic and post it. Look for a 9 volt battery in this crossover . If there is one then the crossover is DC biased ( Charge-Coupled ) .

regards <> EarlK

steveh
    Trying to figure out how to post some digitals but have the driver lineup, which is as follows; 035TlA-2, 104H, 108H, and LE14H-1's. Also, printed on the crossover (exterior) is; "Internally wired with MONSTER CABLE". Will include digitals of the crossovers.

Obsolete
    Obviously the new parts are considerably bigger in size than the stock parts. It is very easy to see why G.T. at JBL firmly suggested starting from "scratch" instead of trying the "retrofit" method which he labored through.

It looks like one solution would be to separate out the low pass, mount it on a separate board, and place that board on the bottom of the enclosure.

Two more considerations - this pair of biased N250Ti's will have the option for bi-wiring so a second pair of input terminals and bar straps will have to fit in the 3 x 5 cutout and there has to be room for mounting a battery. The battery will probably have to go in the larger cutout where the bar straps are located.

Giskard,

Am I right in assuming You are building a pair of biased networks for your 250ti´s? If that is the case, will you continue to post your progress in this thread with a lot of pictures and step by step information regarding the building? I would appreciate that a lot, and I think other 250 owners would as well.

B.R!

Obsolete
    Hi Jakob,

I planned on posting pictures and such. I suppose I should measure all the parts and draw them up so I can manipulate them on a computer. I'll think about that...

Obsolete
    Here are some photos courtest of jblnut. He will be replacing his stock N250 networks with biased N250Ti networks.

L250 250Ti bias biased charge-couple charge-coupled
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Can't wait....

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Here are some photos courtest of jblnut. He will be replacing those stock N250 networks with biased N250Ti networks someday.
    Yes, one day in the not too distant future I hope to replace my old N250 networks with something a bit more current. It would seem that there might be a correlation between between this thread and that activity .

Methinks the cat has finally left the bag...

jblnut

Thread Information