Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jbl Array.

They're fully active Rob. They sound 'fast' yes-it's the best way to sum them up. Cleaner, faster than the 2235 and the Precision Devices versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Cooky

They came out really nice. You are doing the SAM crossover for more sensitivity?? So do they sound as kickass as they look?? Do you like them better than the 2235 based pair you had?? I would think on the right material they can sound really fast and effortless.

Rob

drooling...
    Congratulation Cooky, this is an amazing design!

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    drooling...
    Congratulation Cooky, this is an amazing design!
    The more I listen the more like them, Widget, 4313B, Greg Timbers,Doug Button, JBL and Lansing Heritage strike again!
    Last edited by cooky1257; 05-29-2013 at 01:36 AM. Reason: credit where it's due.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Finally completed the construction/finishing

Fun with XTA DSP to follow, will drive them with 2 Linn LK100 power amps.
    Amazing!
    S4700 owner.

After lots of listening and playing about may finally settle on 2nd order Butterworth slopes @800hz(600/1048hz) with 110mm delay on bass driver.
    Need to get some measurements done but my ears are saying smooth integrated sound with best imaging..

Quote Originally Posted by Brian DK View Post
    I am wondering why the Array Series have vertical horns, when all the big
    brothers like K2 and Everest have horizontal horns.?
    Is there an anvantage on vertical, and then why is the the bigbrothers then vertical.??
    The Reason for vert. mtg. the horn is to mimick the Concert Stacks (coverage pattern) hence "Array"

This was a really great project .

Do you still have these ?

( If so ), do they outperform ( imaging wise ) your other K9800 project ?

cheers <>

2206h

Used 2206s as a replacement for the 2214s in a pair of 4425s. Split the passive crossover into separates. Disconnected one end of the LF inductor on the existing xover. Used a "sub-Bessel" second order with an Erse iron core low resistance inductor for the 2206s. Holy crap! What a difference in these speakers. Yep. Snappy base drums and rimshots, not to mention a really good midrange, much improved over stock boxes. Bumped these little monitors to the next league. Left the cabinet tuning the same, approx. 40 Hz. Need to do a little write up with some photos. 2206s are a serious upgrade to the 2214s that were stock. I can't believe how easy this was.

Regards,

John

Oh, and by the way Cooky, really snazzy looking cabinets! I feel a want for those! Really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post

This was a really great project .

Do you still have these ?

( If so ), do they outperform ( imaging wise ) your other K9800 project ?

cheers <>
    Yes I still use them everyday. They present a considerably smaller but sharper/more pinpoint and deeper stereo image than the larger K2 types.
    By smaller I mean individual components within the soundstage are sonically 'smaller' unlike the somewhat larger-than-life delivery of the K2 presentation.
    I did play with rotating the H9800 horns and the imaging did become more focused by I lost something too-they oddly became less satisfying somehow(lord knows why) so they stay as they are. Thanks for the nice compliments guys.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Yes I still use them everyday. They present a considerably smaller but sharper/more pinpoint and deeper stereo image than the larger K2 types.
    By smaller I mean individual components within the soundstage are sonically 'smaller' unlike the somewhat larger-than-life delivery of the K2 presentation.
    I did play with rotating the H9800 horns and the imaging did become more focused by I lost something too-they oddly became less satisfying somehow(lord knows why) so they stay as they are. Thanks for the nice compliments guys.
    Thanks for those observations!

They are quite intriguing .

Without being able to reference them to some polar plots, one is left to muse as to their involvement to listener "satisfaction" .

Maybe the 90x60 nominal coverage of the 4338 horn ( as mentioned by 4313B ) versus the 90x40 coverage of the H9800 ( both on end of course ) played a role in your level of satisfaction .
    - The 60x90 would of course have more room involvement ( giving a more spacious sound-stage ) .

cheers <>

PS ; I would love to see some polar plots of the H4338 ( or an actual Array horn for that matter ) / I don't think anyone has ever published them. Anyone ??

Cooky
    in another thread I was asking about the advisability of mounting a 1400 Array horn in an OB (for aesthetic reasons) and someone pointed me to this thread. That’s a great implementation. Can I ask how you mounted / fixed the horns in place?

Thread Information