Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eleganza Godfather cabinets good for SUB1500 drivers? we're gonna find out!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I didn't know the NS drivers had a magnetic brake feature, thanks for that info.
    It's different from the braking offered by JBL's differential drive motor. The NS's do it two ways.
    First, the magnets don't go all the way down to the bottom of the cap. Since the length of the magnets are the length of the gap and it's an underhung motor, BL falls off significantly when the coil leaves the gap.
    Second, there's a shorting ring underneath.

TC Sounds has a knockoff of the Aura NRT motor in their Pro 5100 driver. It has the magnets going all the way down. That results in longer linear throw, at the cost of potential coil-crunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Pretty much all the really good modern JBL speakers are floorstanders and I don't have the space for them and the eleganzas, so four tiny sealed cabs that hug the walls sounds like a job for the JBL drivers.
    Oh, I get that. (That's one reason I'm harvesting my NS15 from my Godfather as soon as its new cabinet is done. The pie-wedge is too big, and I prefer closed boxes anyway.) I just don't get this particular swap.

I like those curved cabinets, really modern looking.
    Like others have suggested, get the volume right for those Sub1500s because it is very easy to blow the spiders off of the frame or cone. I learned the hard way! I was stupid and put one in a 4cf sealed box and blew the spider completely off of the frame in 5 minutes. Now I run them in 1.5 cf sealed and if you port or use passive radiator I think 3-4 cf should be okay.

Thread Information