Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altec 416-8A Build

Altec 416-8A Build

I put these refurbed 416s into an 11 cu/ft cabinet (before bracing and driver) with a Great Heil on top. The 416 is crossed at 850Hz 1st order, the Heil comes in at 1,000Hz 3rd order. Two 4” ports on the front, cabinets set on 4” feet. The cabinets are 40” wide x 30” high (before feet, after feet the top of the cabinets are at ear level) x 20” deep. I used Obligato Oil caps and 14 gauge coils for the crossover, Cat 5e Plenum for speaker cables.

I drive these with a 2A3 SET amp that I built a few years ago, probably puts out 3 watts or so.

I’m sure I can get more out of them, and I will in time. But even as they are they sound pretty darn good, and I have been enjoying them a lot over the past few months. I finished these just January 2013, or I should say I started listening to them then. Not finished yet, probably won’t be truly “finished” for years. I have a friend who I bought the 416s from who has been very helpful so far, and I expect will continue to help me.
    Thanks for looking.

Name:  IMG_2267.jpg
Views: 14591
Size:  73.0 KBName:  IMG_1953.jpg
Views: 6639
Size:  93.5 KB

Howdy. Nice build. So how much can you get out of those with a couple watts.

Look very nice. Hope it sounds as good as it looks. I really dig the finish on the cab.

Good to see another Texan on here.

Nick

Great work. It looks like you also are a fan of Ikea's shelves for records ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    Howdy. Nice build. So how much can you get out of those with a couple watts.

Look very nice. Hope it sounds as good as it looks. I really dig the finish on the cab.

Good to see another Texan on here.

Nick
    Thanks, I get enough volume for me. I don't listen very loud. But there is perhaps another amp for the woofers in my future, PP EL34 or something like that.And the finish looks better in the pics - My first build so I learned a lot and was not very patient. Next time...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Thanks. Yes, the Ikea Expidite I believe it's called. Inexpensive and work very well.

Holy crap they do fit. I was at Ikea with my Wife on Saturday. I was looking at those shelf thinking about record storage. I didnt think an album would fit in them. Thoose are the ones for the slide out bins they have? 12" tall?

I think I need to make another ikea trip. The first was for the all important poang chair for listening.

Sebrof, Im happy with my volume of the 90's at most. I preffer around 85 db. As for the finish, im right there with you. You have to start somewhere. Like my bass horn I just built. It dosnt look perfect. And I didnt try to make it look perfect. If did I would have never finished the first one. You have to crawl before you can run you know. Thats how we learn to do it beter the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    Holy crap they do fit. I was at Ikea with my Wife on Saturday. I was looking at those shelf thinking about record storage. I didnt think an album would fit in them. Thoose are the ones for the slide out bins they have? 12" tall?

I think I need to make another ikea trip. The first was for the all important poang chair for listening.

Sebrof, Im happy with my volume of the 90's at most. I preffer around 85 db. As for the finish, im right there with you. You have to start somewhere. Like my bass horn I just built. It dosnt look perfect. And I didnt try to make it look perfect. If did I would have never finished the first one. You have to crawl before you can run you know. Thats how we learn to do it beter the next time.
    Be careful not to do what I did. At Ikea there are 2 shelves with similar names and looks, but the Expedit is the one you want. I forget the name of the other ones, but records do not fit (ask me how I know ).
    I'll have to check out your bass horns, are they on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by sebrof View Post
    Be careful not to do what I did. At Ikea there are 2 shelves with similar names and looks, but the Expedit is the one you want. I forget the name of the other ones, but records do not fit.
    I'll have to check out your bass horns, are they on this forum?
    I did a search. I see there are 2 different ones. Its really annoying that they dont list the dimension for the openings. Ill have to bring a test fit album when I go to get one.

Nick

Not to steer this great thread away from its original direction. But those are indeed Expedit shelves. Available in 2 cells x 4 cells, 4 x 4 and 5 x 5. I have been using them for close to 20 years. Each cell measures 13-1/4" x 13-1/4"

Lee

Not to steer this great thread away from its original direction. But those are indeed Expedit shelves. Available in 2 cells x 4 cells, 4 x 4 and 5 x 5. I have been using them for close to 20 years. Each cell measures 13-1/4" x 13-1/4"

Lee
    Excellent. Perfect size for the old lp collection.

Ya we kinda went off on an ikea tangent. Seems to be a common thing on this forum.

Can we play 6 degrees of James Lansing and Ikea. Go!!

That was plain wrong of me, I know.

Nick

Hey Sebrof,

I don't know how I missed this thread. Welcome aboard. And, like Nick said, it's nice to see another Lone Star member in the club. Fabulous job! I love the uniqueness of the design (especially those feet), and although a pretty large cabinet, they do not look obtrusive at all. Very nice, indeed!

Willy

Quote Originally Posted by intercity125 View Post
    Hey Sebrof,

I don't know how I missed this thread. Welcome aboard. And, like Nick said, it's nice to see another Lone Star member in the club. Fabulous job! I love the uniqueness of the design (especially those feet),
    Willy
    Thanks Willy. Not sure if any of you guys will be heading to the Lone Start Audio Fest, but I'll be there. May 3, 4, 5 this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by intercity125 View Post
    ...and although a pretty large cabinet, they do not look obtrusive at all. Very nice, indeed!

Willy
    Ha ha, tell that to my wife

Thanks Willy. Not sure if any of you guys will be heading to the Lone Start Audio Fest, but I'll be there. May 3, 4, 5 this year. Ha ha, tell that to my wife
    Geez is it that time again?

I'd love to go. I've never been to a big audio show. I'm deprived.

I'm hoping to go to either lone star or rocky mountain in the next few years.

Ha ha, tell that to my wife
    I hear ya! It's always a gamble when bringing a large, unknown, object into the house; especially one that makes noise!

I remember when I bought home a pair of Klipsch Belle's to restore a few years ago, my wife's eyes were as big a saucers. She didn't really say it, but her expression was one of where the hell are those things going to go? Thankfully, they turned out beautiful and sounded wonderful. Since then she has warmed up to my speaker projects and, although she doesn't say it, I think she actually looks forward to the next one. I hope so because the Onken/Altec speakers I am currently doing are going to be huge!

As for the Lone Star Audio Fest, I'm not sure I'm going to make it. I've been to CES, back when it was open to the public, and a few in Europe when I was in the Air Force stationed over there, but I have since then fallen out of touch with these kinds of shows. I have a good friend who goes to the RMAF with his wife every year and they love it every time. One of these days my wife and I are going to have to get back into it, if anything just for the sake of travel and getting away.

I put these refurbed 416s into an 11 cu/ft cabinet (before bracing and driver) with a Great Heil on top. The 416 is crossed at 850Hz 1st order, the Heil comes in at 1,000Hz 3rd order. Two 4” ports on the front, cabinets set on 4” feet. The cabinets are 40” wide x 30” high (before feet, after feet the top of the cabinets are at ear level) x 20” deep. I used Obligato Oil caps and 14 gauge coils for the crossover, Cat 5e Plenum for speaker cables.

I drive these with a 2A3 SET amp that I built a few years ago, probably puts out 3 watts or so.

I’m sure I can get more out of them, and I will in time. But even as they are they sound pretty darn good, and I have been enjoying them a lot over the past few months. I finished these just January 2013, or I should say I started listening to them then. Not finished yet, probably won’t be truly “finished” for years. I have a friend who I bought the 416s from who has been very helpful so far, and I expect will continue to help me.
    Thanks for looking.

Name:  IMG_2267.jpg
Views: 14591
Size:  73.0 KBName:  IMG_1953.jpg
Views: 6639
Size:  93.5 KB

Hi,

i really like the design. I just wonder if the 416 is capable to close the gap to play with the Heil AMT !?

KR Barossi

Quote Originally Posted by Barossi
    Hi,

i really like the design. I just wonder if the 416 is capable to close the gap to play with the Heil AMT !?

KR Barossi
    The big Heil shown in the picture should do fine ( if the OP's network is designed right ).

Generally Altec 15's ( & 12's ) have quite linear response over 1K ( up to 3K ).

See;

Those are all older pics from a Japanese blog belonging to an apprentice reconer/reburfisher ( who dealt with all makes & brands of drivers ).

The shop would run ( the pictured ) sweeps to provide customer with reliable assurance that their "babies" were back to normal operating spec ( or better ).

Compare the Altecs ( above 1K response ) to the following JBL 15's ( &14 ) .

Thread Information