Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Second Annual Lansing Heritage Awards

Sound over -everything- else? I preferred the Arrays... They excelled in areas that tick my personal check boxes, also a trait of the 9900 model, which I enjoy very much. Clearer spatial cues were a big plus for me in regard to the Arrays. Both have a spectral clarity that is very engaging and non-fatiguing.

I might have mentioned this before, but I couldn't bear to listen to the K2 S9900 in the same room, so they got moved up to the master bedroom where they do an excellent job in a smaller space.

Here's a comment I sent to the creator, followed by his response.

Via email I've had a couple of the guys come over to hear what I'm simply calling the Timbers Arrays compared to the K2s, and the verdicts are universal.

Name:  K2:Timbers Shhot Out 02:15:12.jpeg
Views: 7050
Size:  77.1 KB

The shootout, with K2s in the prime position.

Even close together, the Timbers Arrays have superior imaging, a wider soundstage, more of a sense of depth, and much cleaner top and bottom. They definitely play nicer with the 136HS in the S2S subs than the K2s do.

I'm glad you're enjoying them. You are the only person to compare them to anything else directly. They really should take a K2 apart.
    The K2 is wonderful, so don't consider it a slam. It's the smart way to package and sell a high end product. The sound and the vision of it sold me; else, I wouldn't have a pair.

I cannot imagine any typical audiophile or JBL fanatic paying even one-half the K2 price for something as aesthetically challenging as the Timbers Arrays, despite the highest quality parts and uncompromising design. However, the Timbers Arrays are all about the sound, and it's audible. Thank goodness, Annie didn't fuss too much about the looks of them on the main floor as long as the K2s stayed in the house and actually went to a room where she can see and hear them every day.

Having written all that, I think the Timbers Arrays look pretty cool and am comfortable with them in every way. The K2s remain a beautiful speaker to look at and a joy to listen to in their own environment.

Those who attended the Second Annual Lansing Heritage Event got to hear both, but not in the same room. Maybe next year we'll put them side by side for an unscientific, sighted, biased, preference-based comparison.
    Out.

Great to hear some news about these speakers TDome!
    That raises a few questions:
    Why are you not using the 1500AL subs that came with the speakers?
    Have you compared them to your synthesis SAM system side by side? (might be difficult I reckon, due to their integration and specific EQ for your media room...)
    I am surprised that the horns are not the one seen in the original Greg Timbers and DIY thread. The ones you have looks like H4338.
    Are you using the 045Be?

Obsolete
    They really should take a K2 apart.
    And that's exactly why the DIY folks prefer to simply buy the components.

Cooky's version of the 1200 Array concept is an excellent example of what can be done with these components.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    I am surprised that the horns are not the one seen in the original Greg Timbers and DIY thread. The ones you have looks like H4338.
    Bump!

It looks like the latest crossover G.T. was using involved a 650Hz acoustical crossover (LR 36dB/oct), whereas in the original 2006 thread the crossover point was 750Hz.
    The H4338 is larger and probably implies a lower natural cutoff compared to the array1400 horn (more similar to a H9800 in its dimensions). Is this the reason for the switch?

Thumbs up Doug Button

Here's a recent article from Harman showcasing one of our award winners from the second Lansing Heritage Awards. Kudos to Doug for his achievements, though I think a Maserati GranTurismo Convertible would impress me more.

http://pro.harman.com/insights/harma...-loudspeakers/
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Here's a recent article from Harman showcasing one of our award winners from the second Lansing Heritage Awards. Kudos to Doug for his achievements, though I think a Maserati GranTurismo Convertible would impress me more.

It's wonderful!
    Hi Doug, how are you recently?hope every thing is fine.
    Are you going to hold Lansing Heritage forum annual party this year?i wish i could come if i have time and money.
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

It's wonderful!
    Hi Doug, how are you recently?hope every thing is O.K
    Are you going to hold Lansing Heritage Forum Annual Party this year?i wish i could come if i have time and money
    46 lover

Thread Information