Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Second Annual Lansing Heritage Awards

the grumpy cometh

No, get your mind out of the gutter.

Today grumpy and I took another whack at the PT250s in anticipation of the upcoming Lansing Heritage Awards. He wanted to try the time alignment feature of the BSS FDS366T Omnidrive Compact plus units, and I wanted the red Limiter lights turned off, so he trekked all the way over to donate his time and talent and equipment to the effort, while I watched and grunted from time to time.

It's a lot of fun for him to get deeper into the software and hardware, and it's a lot of fun for me to watch and learn. I think he made some nice improvements today, and I'm eager to hear what you all think after hearing them.

As an added delight for the awards event, we discussed having the computer, a couple of monitors, the London Architect software, FuzzMeasure, and a mic set up for a little more in depth look at the process and results for all the nerds in the group. Plus, it would be extra cool if some of our JBL guests could provide some insight into ways to use the data, hardware, and software to make even more strides with the PT250 project.

Sounds like fun!!
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Sounds like fun!!
    "Why yes, yes it does!"

Open Spot

A member who was traveling some distance to attend the event has canceled, so there's an open spot for the June 8th event. Anyone who's interested can contact me via PM before the end of the day, Saturday, June 1st.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    "Why yes, yes it does!"

I will be listening very closely!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Have fun!

Be sure to post a few pictures!

Wish I could make it out there for this event - sure does look like a lot of fun !

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    Wish I could make it out there for this event - sure does look like a lot of fun !

jblnut

Still one spot open, and you'd win the prize for coming furthest this year. Check with your buddy Bill Shatner on Priceline for a last minute flight. I know a really cheap motel.
    Out.

Hi guys, anyone coming from northern California or Oregon who might be able to help carry some gear (pony express style) back to your area, I have a friend who is trying to get a pretty big Nikko receiver transported from Torrance (SoCal) closer to him - he can then drive down to pickup to prevent transport damage. The receiver will be already boxed up.

Please let me know by direct e-mail at my LH name at yahoo.com. Please put LH Pony Express in your subject line and let me know before Saturday.

Thanks!

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

And so it begins... Dave, George, Shane, Mike, and Jen are already here. Last night after a delicious George Carlberg gourmet meal of Elk, tuna, polenta, broccolini and dessert, we went off to the Whale and Ale for some chips and drinks.

Now it's the final push to get everything ready for tonight's big event, and it's 20 degrees cooler than last year! (Thank goodness.)
    Out.

Blow Out!

Whoah! What an evening.!

Since as host I was split six says to Sunday again, hopefully others will fill in the blanks.
    • We hid the Timbers Arrays under covers to avoid incessant questions until Greg was ready to talk about them.
    • The pre-event included Doug Button adding his Aluminum prototype of the original EON and his very first dual voice coil driver from 1990 to the Shane-curated JBL museum in the garage. Amazing!! (I have five EON systems that we use at our nonprofit.) Bart brought a van load of Lansing gear, which filled up the show nicely, including some big horns, big drivers, and electronics. Tony added a couple of big drivers, plus the added gawk factor of the giant JBL amp in the back of his Jeep. I added my collection of drivers, crossovers, and horns as well. The Be drivers were on display inside the house where I could keep an eye on them.
    • The Performance Series entertained the group during the reception with some Latin Jazz Trio and Getz/Gilberto. Greg remarked he'd forgotten how good that system sounded.
    • I had a small window of opportunity to take Doug, Jerry, and their wives on a tour of the house, which included seeing the non-Timbers L5s and my original L100s along with the vintage Kenwood electronics that drive them. The guys had lots to say about the gear, and the wives liked the house.
    • George Carlberg brought down the house with another fine meal.
    • Doug and Jerry offered some interesting and heart-felt remarks when they received their awards.
    • Greg was communicative as always when we unveiled the Timbers Arrays. He shared a little of the history and development of these and the Project Array Series. He also described in detail the transducers, why they were chosen, and the process of designing them. Obviously, Jerry and Doug could add tidbits about the drivers and did. The subsequent demos left everyone impressed.
    • Dave (grumpy) did a fine stint downstairs demonstrating the London Architect software and the constantly tweaked PT250s. He should have some in depth comments, but later Greg told me he could hear the improvements from last year, partly based on his advice, and he thought they had become even better. (I'll be curious if Jerry or Doug said anything to Dave.)
    • This year my PJ didn't blow and the demo in The Two Jims Theatre went off without a hitch. The helicopter scene in Skyfall was the selection, and it impressed everyone. Doug and Jerry were particularly interested in hearing a Synthesis® install, and I noted them getting up and examining the 2242 drivers and ports during the presentation. Doug and Greg made a suggestion to possibly turn the rear sub toward the wall to present a little more delay from the rear, which is advice I will put into action right away.
    • We listened to the K2 S9900s in their new location, and all agreed they had found their home. I won a few points with the ladies by playing a cut from my "romance" mix CD on the K2s.
    • Throughout the evening, Greg, Doug, and Jerry were very free in discussing any and all topics, and their humanity and character were clear for all to see. Their lovely wives were amiable and supportive, and a pleasure to spend time with.
    • Earlier in the day, Shane and Dave went through the Timbers Arrays documentation, and we selected a subset of three docs, which we copied and then distributed to those who expressed an interest as Greg did an impromptu seminar on them around the kitchen table.
    • George's creme brule was the dessert, and everyone ate every bite in their ramekin. Delicious!
    • We offered up a toast to our recently-deceased friend Rolf, and I even drank a beer!
    • Even though folks started to depart around 10 PM, many lingered for another hour or so as we dismantled the museum, and random conversations broke out from nearly every piece as it was put away.
    • This morning I took Shane and George, then Mike and Jen to LAX, and now all I have to do is clean up the aftermath!
    Thanks to everyone who came! Great evening!

Attendees: Please add comments and photos as you have them. Thanks!
    Out.

Thanks for sharing, wish I could have participated.
    Possibly it could be a possibility sometime later.

There are pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Whoah! What an evening.!

Since as host I was split six says to Sunday again, hopefully others will fill in the blanks.
    Thank you for taking the time to let us all live it a little vicariously!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Welcome to overcast SoCal

Jen was sure I was going to take the banner home.Name:  P1000725s.jpg
Views: 2210
Size:  110.2 KB
    Vertical horn kind of guy

Guest of Honor

Doug B.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Vertical horn kind of guy

Guest of Honor

Jerry M. with Titanium Dome
    Attached Images Attached Images