Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Second Annual Lansing Heritage Awards

"PT250" Demo

Thanks again Doug and Annie, for hosting this award event in an interesting and low-key social setting.
    I appreciated the opportunity to meet up with old friends and to make some new ones. The time blew by much too quickly.

Name:  IMG_2357s.jpg
Views: 3077
Size:  219.2 KBName:  IMG_2358s.jpg
Views: 2820
Size:  174.9 KB

Demoed TiDome's "PT250" system with BSS crossovers, and a stack of Hafler amps (one channel per driver).
    Changes were in the areas of voicing (small adjustment in the 3-4KHz area from "flat"), driver time alignment
    (which had been lost in a BSS design version save [doh], then quickly reconstructed), and room curve mods.
    If you're trying to read the Fuzzmeasure plot on the left (London Architect on the right), that was a starting
    point in the morning so don't worry about it too much... I just wanted to show example screens of the tools.

For me it was fun just having experienced audio professionals bother to listen at all, have a look at the setup
    and measuring system and seem to enjoy the time spent. I can recall a few listener selected tunes from Fagan's
    Nightfly, Sting's Dream of the Blue Turtle, 1812 Overture from Eargle's Everest disk, even a Fugee's cover of
    Killing me Softly.

First and foremost I want to thank Doug and Annie for sharing their home for the cause. I had an opportunity to chat with Annie this year and, like Doug, she is so easy to engage in conversation and so gracious in her willingness to spend some time with me.

The attendance was off a bit this year but that made for easier flow among the rooms for listening sessions. It also allowed more to join in on discussions with our special guests ranging from old cars, new cars (discussing the excellent Tesla S with a new owner, no less), food, music, corporate politics and yes, speakers.

Doug has his Timbers Special (DIY Array 1200) taking pride of place in the main listening area. Greg was there to explain some of the details and provide some guidance on similar applications. Greg mentioned he was interested in having a fully finished JBL production model in his home after so many years of DIY and prototypes. This was the impetus for moving the Array 1200 into storage. The decision to move the Array 1200 to a new home was to put them to use rather than breaking them up or just sitting idle in a store room. Greg is very hesitant about releasing any form of prototype to the public since there is no company support to provide parts or service. It would not be fair to the buyer or any subsequent owner down the line.

Doug and Jerry were there with spouses and seemed to be a little unsure in the beginning of the evening but then got quite engaged with the crowd by the end of the night. Greg mentioned that there was some hesitation on their part in joining in on the festivities in their honor but convinced them otherwise. In fact, I think that all of us there were more at ease, Greg included, after the having the “first date” of last year’s gathering behind us.

It was a delightful evening under the gentle breezes from San Pedro Bay. The food was great thanks to George. Doug is natural as a host and as a Master of Ceremonies for the evening, with a natural ease of speech and an ability to focus everyone’s attention.

My thanks and appreciation to all who made the evening so enjoyable.
    David F
    San Jose

It sounds like a great time all around. If Doug does it again next year, I guarantee I'll come...
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

An attempt to be coherent on a blur of an evening

Kudos to Ti (Doug S.) for pulling it all together, Annie (for letting the house be invaded by a bunch of speaker geeks) and Chef George for his dedication and obsession that we all ate well.

For me, it was really great to meet and interact with Doug B., Jerry M. and Greg T. Besides being nice people and spending personal time with speaker fanatics, it really comes through these guys enjoy and have a passion for what they do.

The systems.
    From my first DIY system in the early eighties to the present it would be hard to argue they didn’t sound good. They all were composed of JBL components which probably explains a lot. Listening to TiDomes’s systems, the Performance (5 point and a lot subs) system, the Timbers array, the K2S9900 and Synthesis theater it was easy to understand the improvements that could be made to my system in a number of somewhat esoteric things; for lack of better technical terms: system smoothness and/or seamless transition between drivers, cohesion, impact. With the help of listening to Ti’s great factory systems and Greg explaining his array filter design and obtaining a copy of his schematic, I know my system is going to get better.

Regrets.
    I wish I had listened to the PT250. I thought dinner was being served and bailed. On the other hand I think that’s when I got to hear the K2’s. Next time for sure Dave. I should have talked more about HiFi with George and less about food. I do like to cook and eat good food. And, I can take better pictures. Really.

PS to Annie. Jen had a great time too.

Mike
    Vertical horn kind of guy

Mike and jen

It was great having you two come in on Friday and enjoy a preview of George's cooking along with a trip to the Whale and Ale.

You'll definitely have to come back next year to prove you can take a decent picture.

After seeing and hearing all that gear, plus the stuff on display in the JBL Museum (my garage), I'm certain Jen doesn't think you're as crazy as some of the rest of us. Glad you could make it.
    Out.

DavidF

You definitely won the "drove the furthest" honors, though some other folks cheated and came further in less time by plane. It's always great to have you in the house and talk to you. Maybe next time your wife (or HSCGuy) can join you.

Speaking of next time and attendance, I'll give this a go next year around the same time with the hope that attendance improves. It's a lot of work, not just for me, but for George, Shane, and Dave. Annie's a good sport about it, though she delicately asked me if it was worth the effort, especially with some no-shows. It'd be great to have wider support from the Lansing Heritage community to help offset the expense and to give the honorees a larger pool of recognition.

I think the bigger issue is that we're lucky to get these brilliant people while they're still active and producing great things in the industry. We should seize the opportunity before it's gone. We've already got a short list of names for next year, and I'll be consulting with Greg on next year's recipients. It's an impressive list.

If I can get the honorees, George, Shane, and Dave locked onto the same date, and get Greg, Doug, and Jerry to come back, then it'll be a go for next year, and if it turns out to be the last, at least it will go out with a bang!
    Out.

grumpy

Thanks as always for helping demo the PT250s. All who heard them had compliments, and Greg in particular was effusive in his praise for the improvements.

Maybe next year we should start earlier with some "workshops," perhaps featuring a more in depth look at the whole PT250 thing, another on the Two Jims DIY home theater consultation and construction, perhaps another on multiple subs, another on transducer testing, wow! the sky's the limit. Yeah, I know: it's already enough work

Anyway, thanks for coming on Friday, spending the night, and helping out in the run up to Saturday's event.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    "You definitely won the "drove the furthest" honors, though some other folks cheated and came further in less time by plane. It's always great to have you in the house and talk to you. Maybe next time your wife (or HSCGuy) can join you..."
    For the record, I didn't drive. I also cheated and took a $69 flight (plus airport fees, fuel surcharges, convenience fees, taxes and who knows what else).
    David F
    San Jose

Greetings, All,

We surely missed being able to attend this year's JBL Fest, and thank Doug and Annie for once again hosting it in their lovely home!! We had a regular gig in Milwaukee during the time of the JBL event, and so had to miss it this year. Here's hoping that next year, we can once again enjoy this outstanding, and very memorable soiree!! Thanks to one and all who helped to make it the success that it has become, and we hope to see you all again next year, if not before! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc and Sweet Bride

P.S. Toasting our dear departed JBL friend, Rolf, was a VERY nice thing to do, and we know he would have been pleased to know that this happened! Well done!!
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Fun night!

Hey Mark, we missed you and Cynthia. The weather was perfect and the Timbers Arrays were spectacular! PLus, the new projector didn't let me down, so everyone got the full Two Jims Theatre experience. It was kind of cool to have Doug Button say he wished he could have a room like that.

George and Shane came a day earlier this year, and it was better all the way around. We had more time to prepare and enjoy each other's company, and George's special dinner on Friday night was out of this world. Of course, Saturday's event dinner was a huge hit, too, with our guests of honor thoroughly enjoying George's signature beef tenderloin and Denver-fresh rolls.

Having Doug, Jerry, and Greg in the house all at once was a delight. Annie hung out with their wives and jblfan's Jen, and I got a few minutes to spend with each in between all the hosting duties. My reward was learning some bits of info that only a designer could know, like the origins of the 136HS drivers in the S2S subs.

Anyway, we hope you can can make it next year!
    Out.

Awesome !

Would have Loved to attend something like that ! IMO that's what it's all about. Good food,good drink,good conversation,and good music hanging out with friends and meeting new friends..

Congrats on the Success TD !
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Timbers Array specs

Here are the scans of the data that was available to us from the party.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Always fun learning more.......

Thanks, Shane.

It'd be great if those who had extended conversations with Greg about the Timbers Arrays would chime in with any tidbits of interest.
    Out.

Filter board layout

Another bad photo
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Vertical horn kind of guy

So, how does it sounds compared to the S9900 ?

Thread Information