Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Annual Lansing Heritage Awards

Post Second Annual Lansing Heritage Awards

For those who enjoyed last year's Greg Timbers Soiree, I hope you are ready for round two. For those of you who missed it, I hope you can make it this year. With Don McRitchie’s blessing, we’ll once again be presenting the Lansing Heritage Award.

Greg Timbers agreed to be Honorary Chair for this year's event, and he and I have been working hard to create something special. The event will be on June 8 at my house in Greater Los Angeles.

This year, we're focusing on JBL transducers, and we couldn't decide on just one recipient, so there are two:
    1. Jerry Moro, Senior Development Engineer, Acoustics, Harman International; former Senior Transducer Engineer, JBL Consumer
    2. Doug Button, former Vice President, Research and Development, JBL Professional
    So, if you want to meet the people who know all about the 1500AL or the 435Be or the 1400Nd or the 476Mg or the 2242H, then this is the place to be!

Also, if you want to hear the hand-built Timbers Arrays, see the technical documentation, and discuss the build with Greg Timbers, this is where you can do all three.

Oh, and there may be a surprise (or two)!

Here's the info:

THE LANSING HERITAGE APPRECIATION DINNER
    Honorees: Jerry Moro and Doug Button

Hosts: Doug and Annie
    Honorary Chair: Greg Timbers
    Executive Chef: George Carlberg

$30 per person, proceeds going to Lansing Heritage after expenses

Saturday, June 8, 2013
    5:30–9:00 JBL Driver, Electronics, Literature, and Paraphernalia Exhibit
    6:00–6:30 Reception
    6:30–7:15 Dinner and Program
    7:15–??? Listening Sessions with Greg Timbers, Jerry Moro, and Doug Button and their JBL Creations

• S/2600 Stereo Pair
    • Performance Series 5.1 Music System
    • XPL200A /DX-1 Actively Bi-amped Stereo Pair
    • "PT250" Stereo Pair (Modified L250 with 250Ti and Performance Series Drivers, BSS 366T Loudspeakar Management, Actively Quad-amped)
    • Synthesis® One Array 7.1 "Two Jims" Theatre
    • K2 S9900 Stereo Pair
    • Timbers Arrays
    I’m opening up my PMs for inquiries on this event, so if you’re interested PM me. I have a limited number of seats, which I’ll fill on a first-come first-served basis. If you want to bring a guest, I’ll accept reservations for parties of two, but no larger. Last year we had some spouses attend, and all had a good time. Annie’s looking forward to seeing more ladies again this year.

Once again, Executive Chef George Carlberg will be preparing the food, so that in itself is worth the price of admission. This will be a feast for all your senses, and a memorable night of JBL camaraderie.

Hope to see you there!
    Out.

I have my ticket already!!
    Always fun learning more.......

I added my name to the list.
    David F
    San Jose

Hi Ti,

Count me in!

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Can't wait.... Count me in. Last year was great and know that this year will even be better. Let me know how I can help

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    The event will be on June 8...
    Dammit, Doug!! Already committed to gigs that weekend - up here in NorCal.

btw, that agenda, and list of luminaries, looks incredible. Well done...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Dammit, Doug!! Already committed to gigs that weekend - up here in NorCal.

btw, that agenda, and list of luminaries, looks incredible. Well done...

Thank you, Bo. Sorry you can't make it. It will be an amazing evening, and you'd really enjoy it.

More to come.

For the dawdlers, there are just a few openings left.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    It will be an amazing evening, and you'd really enjoy it.
    I bet! I'm sorry I also can't make it...

Have an amazing time and bring on the after party show and tell!

Widget

Post Bio for Honoree Jerry Moro

Thanks to Jerry Moro for providing the following information.

Born in June 1962 in Chicago Illinois, Jerry was fascinated with electronics at an early age. Even before the age of ten he would disassemble electronic equipment to learn how it worked. As a teenager, Jerry continued exploring electronics as a hobby and in 1980 attended Purdue University’s Electrical Engineering program which just so happened to have several Acoustics courses. During his junior year, he was offered a summer internship at local audio company International Jensen in Schiller Park. This is where Jerry started to apply his newly learned acoustic knowledge, and after he graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Jensen hired him to work full time in their OEM division as Transducer and Vehicle Audio Systems Engineer. For the next four years he developed custom transducers and complete audio systems tailored for different types of vehicles and companies, most notably Chrysler, AMC Jeep, and Alfa Romeo.

In May of 1990, an opportunity arose for Jerry to take his audio passion to Harman International as a Transducer Development Engineer, so he packed up the family and moved to California. His beginning role was to create Harman’s first car audio measurement and installation bay and to develop new car audio transducers for Harman with primary focus being the JBL brand models GTX, Gto, Power Series and most notably the hi-end Gti series. After several years being focused on car audio advancements, Jerry expanded his role (now as Senior Development Engineer) to develop many transducers for home system brands: Infinity, JBL and Synthesis. In May of 1998, the newly created company REVEL was added to this list and to this day he has developed many transducers for the hi-end brand’s exclusive Performa and Ultima Series product lines.

Around 1996, Jerry teamed up with system engineer Greg Timbers to develop low and high frequency transducers for numerous JBL systems: Century Gold, SVA Series, 4425 MKII, S5800, 4428 and 4429, 4312 Series, 4318 and 4319, 4338 and 4348, Array Series, S4600, TS Series, and S3900. Most notable are the S4700 and K2 series S9800, S9900, Everest DD66000, DD65000, and DD67000 where transducer performance has been advanced to new levels. Several of his transducer designs have also been used in JBL Professional monitor and subwoofer product models including LSR6325P (25P), LSR6332, LSR4326P, LSR4328P, VT4881 and most recently the high end M2 Master Reference Monitor (using the 2216Nd woofer).

Throughout the years, Jerry always pushed the envelope for transducer design and this passion for the field led to several patents and many product awards. Recently promoted to Principal Development Engineer he is busy developing new transducer technology for future Harman products. A list of his more notable low, mid and high frequency transducers designs (with associated systems) is included below.
    Out.

Post Jerry Moro's Transducer List

Jerry has acquired 6 patents, with 2 more pending, and he has received many product awards. Here's a list of his more notable low, mid and high frequency transducers designs (with associated systems).

List in reverse chronological order:

JBL transducer models
    (and systems): 1501AL-2 (Everest DD67000), 1501AL-1, 045Mg (Everest DD65000), 100FE-12, 139Nd (S3900), 2216Nd (S4700 and JBL Pro M2), 540J, 553H, 553J, 565J, 580J, 5110G, 5120G (Studio 5 series), 1501FE (4365), 2213Nd-2, 105H-1, 054ALMg (4312E), 2213Nd-1, 105H-2, 054ALMg-1 (4319), 1500AL-1, 476Mg (K2 S9900), TS6H, TS6J, TS8J (TS Series systems), LE14H-4 (S4600), 1501AL, 476Be (Everest DD66000), Synthesis 6 (Synthesis SAM3VA and SAM3HA), Synthesis 8 (Synthesis SAM2LF), W1500H (HB5000, 1500 Array Subs), Array 8, Array 8C and Array 10, 175Nd-3 (Array Series), 1500FE (4338 and 4348), 2213Nd, 105H (4312D and 4318), 1200FE-8 (4428 and 4429), 1200FE-12 (K2 S5800), 1500AL (K2 S9800), LE14H-3 (Performance Series PS1400, Array 1400), 1200H (4425MKII), Studio10, Studio8, ME60JS, ME50JS (SVA Series systems), Century1200, Century500 (Century Gold), 726GS (Synthesis Two).

JBL Car Audio subwoofers and component systems: 660Gti, 560Gti, Power Series, GTO Series, C508Gti, C608Gti, W10Gti, W12Gti, W15Gti, GTX Series, 08Gti, 400Gti, 404Gti, 408Gti, 500Gti, 504Gti, 508Gti, 600Gti, 800Gti, 1000Gti, 1200Gti.

JBL Systems developed: HB5000 Powered Subwoofer System, TS600 system, Synthesis S1S-EX

Revel Transducer models
    (and systems): B110LDW, B112LDW (B110 and B112 Sub system), RP18G (Ultima Rhythm II), RU15G, RU15R (Ultima Sub 30 and Performa B15a), C32R-4, C32R-5, F32R-5, F32R-6, M22R-6 (Performa Series), RP10GS (Performa F30), RU5G (Revel Studio) Revel 15 (Ultima Gem Sub 15).

Infinity Transducer models
    (and systems): B380 (HPS1000 powered sub), Omega12 (Omega system).
    Out.

Bio for Honoree Doug Button

Thanks to Doug Button for providing the following information.

Doug Button was born in May of 1959 at the Fort Knox Kentucky Army base while his father was stationed there. After his father’s tour of duty his family returned to their native Iowa. Doug’s father was a HAM radio operator and worked at the local AM radio station so Doug enjoyed exposure to electronics at a very early age. Like Jerry Moro, Doug liked to take apart radios to see how they worked, but didn’t put them back together much to his parents chagrin. He built crystal radio sets and experimented with microphones and speakers. As a teenager Doug built stereo speakers for himself and friends based on parts he got from mail order catalogs and Radio Shack. Doug entered the Mechanical Engineering program at Iowa State University in 1977. He continued his speaker building hobby in college and began making Pro level designs with JBL and Electro-Voice transducers. This also led to his forming a mobile DJ company that helped pay for school. In 1980 Doug switched his major to Electrical Engineering hoping to work in the audio industry.

In 1982 he graduated with a BSEE and got a job with Harris Broadcast Products as a sales engineer. In 1985 he landed a job at Electro-Voice under the tutelage of Ray Newman and Cliff Henricksen as a transducer engineer. It was during this period that Doug learned how speakers really worked. All the designs he had made before as a hobbyist were done without making any measurements and little or no understanding of diffraction or driver breakup. His most notable projects were the EVX™ line of 4” coil woofers (meant to compete with JBL) and the NDym-1 one of the first compression drivers to use Neodymium.

In 1987 Doug got the call he had been waiting for from JBL. In 1988 he joined the then Harman Speaker Manufacturing group as a senior transducer engineer. Although the group supported several brands and OEM development Doug was lucky enough to only work on JBL products, mostly for the Professional division under the direction of Mark Gander. His first project was to design a line of high power woofers to replace the SFG™ drivers, 2225 and 2240. The result was the Vented Gap Cooling™ woofer series 2206, 2226 and 2241.

In 1989 an opportunity arose for Doug to collaborate with Greg Timbers on the newly formed K2 project and develop the 1400Nd. It was a great opportunity in that price was no object and Neodymium was chosen to be the magnet material. A number of interesting discoveries were made in this development including the idea for the laminated pole tip (that did not make it into the design, as Doug freely admits he had no idea how to manufacture it). Jerry Moro would refine the idea and include it in the famous 1500Al, probably the lowest distortion 15 inch driver ever made. Over the next few years Doug developed several lines of drivers for the Professional group. In 1994 (amidst the fallout of the Northridge earthquake) Doug developed the system concepts that would later become one of the first portable powered speaker systems called EON® which debuted in 1995 and had the first dual coil dual gap Neodymium LF driver.

In 1996 Doug was promoted to Director of Transducer development for JBL Professional. In this role he led the development of the new dual coil drivers (Neodymium Differential Drive®) into several lines for MI and concert use. In 1998 he began development on a super lightweight Neodymium compression driver with a 3” coil. In 2000 the 2430 (Aluminum dome) and 2435 (Beryllium dome) were put into production. Parts from these drivers would find their way in to the 435Al and 435Be. In parallel with these driver developments Doug also worked on the system level for the products these drivers were found in, the EVO installation product and the Vertec® concert line array system. EVO was one of the very first systems in Pro Audio to have DSP and amplification on board. In addition to traditional filtering the DSP had advanced algorithms to predict voice coil temperature in all three devices and make power compression and spectral compensation, along with a feedback suppressor. Vertec® continues to be one of the most popular concert tour systems on the road today.

In 1999 Doug was promoted to Vice President of R&D for JBL professional. In that role he directed the engineering of all JBL Professional products for the next 5 years. In 2004 he stepped aside as head of the engineering department taking on a new role in pure research while leading the transducer group. He also began collaborating with Don Keele on pixilated audio arrays. That work would result in the 2009 JBL Professional installed sound line arrays called CBT (Constant Beamwidth Technology™). Don, of course, published many papers on the subject one co-authored with Doug in 2005. In 2010 Doug entered semi-retirement, but in 2012 he rejoined Harman as a consultant and technical researcher for the Harman Corporate Technology Group.
    Out.

Doug Button's Transducer List

Doug has 19 Patents and has written 10 papers for the AES.

Projects in chronological order in each catagory

JBL Professional transducer models: 2226G/H/J, 2206H/J, 2241G/H, 2217H (Vented Gap cooling™), 1400Nd (K2), 1400 Pro (Array Series [Pro]), M121-8, M151-4/8, M209-8, M222-8, M252-8, 2022H, 2032H, 2042H (The SHG™ 3” coil drivers for sound reinforcement products), LE 1400 (ceramic magnet version of 1400Nd), LE12S-12S (K2), 136HS (Synthesis™ S2S Sub), 2020HPL, 2025H, 2035H (Cinema and portable PA drivers), 2227H, 2242H 2243H, (Super Vented Gap Cooling™). 2430H, 2431H, 2435H (3” coil compression drivers). 235G, 238G, 230G (LSR2300 series studio monitors).

JBL Car Audio subwoofers: 1800Gti, 1500Gti

JBL Professional systems developed: EON® 10P, 15P, and EON® sub, EVO 324i, CBT 50, 100, 70J, 70JE.
    Out.

Obsolete
    This is excellent information Titanium Dome and should be added to the profiles on the website. Perhaps Don can do it someday. Thank you for pursuing it.

I wish my wife and I could have attended this event but she is already committed to a charity fundraiser that weekend.

Yes it is. Wish I could come too but I have a previous comitment that weekend and can't travel. I am going to stash them in the Library Annex so they don't get lost. Keep it comming it's great info!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Final Days to Register

With another attendee registering yesterday, there are only a couple of spots left for the June 8 event. If you're waiting until the last moment to decide, that moment is here.

This will be a truly memorable evening, with three key members of the JBL/Harman team participating in an evening of unprecedented access. Great food by George Carlberg; insights into transducer design, development, and deployment from Doug Button and Jerry Moro; demonstration, design talk, and Q&A on the Timbers Arrays by Greg Timbers himself; explanation and demonstration of the PT250 project by grumpy; listening to the DX-1/XPL200A bi-amp system with DX-1 build by Greg Timbers; K2 S9900 demo backed by bridged S800 amps; full 5.1 music surround experience with the Performance Series; audio/video demo of Synthesis® One Array (with working projector!); a JBL gear expo with drivers, crossovers, memorabilia, electronics, clothing,...who knows what else?; the Japanese Speaker of the Year S/2600s on display; awards ceremony and comments by the recipients; camaraderie of Lansing Heritage and AVS members and guests, along with your willing hosts, Doug and Annie; do not miss this!

Don't regret it; do it, and bring your spouse, friend, significant other! It's an evening all will enjoy.

It's happening once, one night only, Saturday, June 8, 2013.

From 2012:
    1. Greg Timbers receives his Lansing Heritage Award.
    2. A small portion of the JBL driver collection on display.
    3. Executive Chef George Carlberg is ready for action from the hungry attendees. Yes, that's beef tenderloin, all the way from Denver.
    4. JuniorJBL (Shane), Greg Timbers, wlsilva (Walter), Michelle, Howard Durbin (Electro-Voice and JBL), and Bob Walker (Electro-Voice) getting settled in for the PT250 demo by grumpy (Dave, who took the picture).
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Out.

Thread Information