Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Everest DD66000

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Evidently Northridge is getting complaints from all over the planet (DD66000 owners).
    What are the Everest DD66000 owners complaining about?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    What are the Everest DD66000 owners complaining about?
    Lack of an upgrade kit.

I suppose it should have been made available with the release of the DD67000.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian DK View Post
    ..the Music seems a bit bright..
    Somewhere in the "3 ways to climb everest" thread there is a network modification suggested by G.T. that take care of this.
    I also found this modification when optimizing my own networks and found it confirmed when I read the mentioned thread.

Found it:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-Everest/page6

Yes, I own the Everest Dd66000. And I dont realy miss anything.
    its the best allround sounding speaker I have heart.

But in some kind of Music I somtimes miss a bit low end, the Music seems a bit bright..
    I own a pair too and have been enjoying them for about a year now. My previous system which incorporates Sub1500s definitely had deep bass extension that I do occasionally miss. I could add subs but missing subterranean bass is rare enough that I can live without it. I originally found the bass a bit murky on some music but I eventually rearranged my listening room fairly subtly making a significant improvement.

Too bright? I did find the system too bright with one preamp I tried, but I certainly don't feel it is too bright in the current arrangement.

Overall I am quite pleased with the DD66000s... sure they could have a tiny bit of additional bass extension and they could image more like the 1400 Arrays, but nothing is perfect. These things are pretty close though.

And yes, I would love the opportunity to try the new woofers!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Somewhere in the "3 ways to climb everest" thread there is a network modification suggested by G.T. that take care of this.
    I also found this modification when optimizing my own networks and found it confirmed when I read the mentioned thread.

Found it:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-Everest/page6
    Nice
    That I have got to try.

Thanks.

Nice
    That I have got to try.

Thanks.
    If I didn't miss something, the mod to lessen the apparent brightness is to simply replace a 3K resistor with a 2.7K? I suppose that could be done easily enough though simply pulling these massive woofers is a big deal. It is way too easy to drop one and ding the cabinets.

I'll wait and see about playing around if/when a woofer upgrade option materializes. I'm also just not sure that loosing a bit of 2KHz is really needed. From my own measurements of my pair... they are damned flat from 500Hz to 10KHz... rising a bit above 10KHz. Below 1KHz, in my "real world" room any measurement is pretty suspect.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I'm also just not sure that loosing a bit of 2KHz is really needed. From my own measurements of my pair... they are damned flat from 500Hz to 10KHz...
    Have you tried off-axis measurements?
    Those JBL biradials all seem to have a range somewhere in the upper midrange where they tend to loose directivity control, and go u-l-t-r-a w-i-d-e. In this situation aiming for a flat on-axis response might result in a bump in the power response.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post331703
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post344924

At one point I tried playing with thin layers of foam on the inner lateral parts of the H980, and it did to reduce the problem, but I would have to look that up a little bit more...
    I do not really understand where that comes from to begin with, but it is real
    Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    If I didn't miss something, the mod to lessen the apparent brightness is to simply replace a 3K resistor with a 2.7K? I suppose that could be done easily enough though simply pulling these massive woofers is a big deal. It is way too easy to drop one and ding the cabinets.

I'll wait and see about playing around if/when a woofer upgrade option materializes. I'm also just not sure that loosing a bit of 2KHz is really needed. From my own measurements of my pair... they are damned flat from 500Hz to 10KHz... rising a bit above 10KHz. Below 1KHz, in my "real world" room any measurement is pretty suspect.

Widget
    To add some low end.. How about replace the helper woofer to the 1500Al-1 with the lower impedance?
    Or perhaps both woofere to the 1500Al-1.
    That should reduce the system impedance, increase the total sensitivity.

or am I wrong?

Adding some EQ (tailored to your room) would probably be the better idea

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Adding some EQ (tailored to your room) would probably be the better idea
    And probably cheaper.. I have had the same idea my self.
    But dont know what to buy..
    do any of you know the Deqx Hdp4.?

If your sources are mainly analog you could probably find some parametric EQ that would fill your bill (meyer CP10 comes to mind).
    If your sources are mainly digital *or* if you don't mind A/D and D/A conversions (which should not be armful at all if your gain structure is well handled) then digital EQ will bring a lot more options (room EQ, phase linearization, ...). If your source is a computer then it is even easier (and free)...
    DEQX is one (pricey) option, but some other exists nowadays, such as the miniDSP openDRC (which exists in both analog and digital I/O versions) associated with external software (most of them free) for almost unlimited correction possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    If your sources are mainly analog you could probably find some parametric EQ that would fill your bill (meyer CP10 comes to mind).
    If your sources are mainly digital *or* if you don't mind A/D and D/A conversions (which should not be armful at all if your gain structure is well handled) then digital EQ will bring a lot more options (room EQ, phase linearization, ...). If your source is a computer then it is even easier (and free)...
    DEQX is one (pricey) option, but some other exists nowadays, such as the miniDSP openDRC (which exists in both analog and digital I/O versions) associated with external software (most of them free) for almost unlimited correction possibilities.
    My source is digital.
    I use a Krell Kps28 cd player, and a Krell Kct pre, and Krell Fpb700cx amp.

I am a bit worried about the A/D and D/A conversion in the Deqx.
    But it is worth the try.

You could use the digital output of your CD player to feed the DEQX, and then use the DA converter of the DEQX to feed your preamplifier.
    You could also buy an openDRC-DI (digital version) the same way and add a DA converter of your choice on its output.

That way you would still only have one DA conversion operation in your signal chain.

With both processors beware of fully automated corrections, and if you use them make sure the measurement(s) on which they rely to calculate their correction is accurate and representative.

My source is digital.
    I use a Krell Kps28 cd player, and a Krell Kct pre, and Krell Fpb700cx amp.

I am a bit worried about the A/D and D/A conversion in the Deqx.
    But it is worth the try.
    Nice system!
    S4700 owner.

I have now moved my speakers 5 inches closer to the backwall/corner.
    it ment more to the Sound that I could imagine..
    The bright Sound is gone, and the low end is more powerfull.

I would never think that the placement hat such a big impact.
    Is it because of the double woofer that it is more sensitive to roomgain.??

Thread Information