Thread: JBL l-40 pair, keep or toss?

JBL l-40 pair, keep or toss?

I picked up a pair of L-40's that someone decided to give away. They are not in very good shape.
    The woofers have been replaced with Pyle 10 inch, one tweeter is original, one tweeter is missing, the original crossovers are there as are the JBL labels. The cabinets were left in standing water and are swollen badly in the lower miter joints. Unless someone suggests otherwise I am thinking of stripping the parts and tossing the cabinets. Is this a reasonable thing or would these still have value to someone?

Thanks
    P

I was not very impressed with those speakers and I'm usually not too particular. They seem to be in pretty rough shape, I personally wouldnt bother the time or money on them, there are much better models out there to make that sort of investment on.
    Keep on looking
    Just Play Music.

Not JBLs finest hour - if you don't like them, save the worthy parts (badges, drivers and xovers) and toss the swollen cabs.

Quote Originally Posted by phreon View Post
    I picked up a pair of L-40's that someone decided to give away. They are not in very good shape.
    The woofers have been replaced with Pyle 10 inch, one tweeter is original, one tweeter is missing, the original crossovers are there as are the JBL labels. The cabinets were left in standing water and are swollen badly in the lower miter joints. Unless someone suggests otherwise I am thinking of stripping the parts and tossing the cabinets. Is this a reasonable thing or would these still have value to someone?

Thanks
    P
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Not JBLs finest hour
    Thats a good way to put it.
    Just Play Music.

OK, they will be stripped of hardware and are headed to the dump.
    Thanks guys.

science experiment

Or you could strip them and place them face up and measure the thickness every 2 weeks to see just HOW much particle board can expand. A nightclubs factory 4520 was left outside near a dumpster many years ago and during the summer the outside panels went from 3/4 to just over 2 inches...then they just dissolved...

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Not JBLs finest hour - if you don't like them, save the worthy parts (badges, drivers and xovers) and toss the swollen cabs.
    Well, I thought them pretty decent, I rebuilt 3 of them for my son and he's using them in a 5.1 setup for HT in an apartment with two L19's as rears.

But I agree, with swollen cabinets, not much rebuild potential, especially with the woofers gone. Sacrifice these so that others will live. I do like the 033 tweeters though.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

I have decided to not only strip the speakers, crossovers, and grills but to also salvage some of the veneer. Some has lifted nicely near the swollen areas so I think I can coax some sheets off. I have a pair of JBL Decades that need a piece in the corner that would be cool to piece in from original JBL veneers. I will take pics and maybe post a thread on piecing veneers.

Thread Information