Thread: Current Value of blown JBL baskets?

Current Value of blown JBL baskets?

• Blown JBL baskets seem to be all over eBay.
    I know that these days it seems to be a seller's market for anything desirable.

I just wonder if we could talk about how much might be too much to pay for that basket you have been looking for. I can remember seeing just blown drivers going for over $70 or $80 bucks for Ds and Ks recently. Dead 2226s going for $60. Is this realistic or am I still living in the past?
    I want to assemble a budget backyard party system, but it seems to be more wise to just pay full price for used drivers that appear to be in pristine condition.

I would like to find four E140 baskets to match a supply of recone kits I have left over from the early '90s to start with. (I have reconed dozens of Ds, Ks and Es over the years. buying up other people's "trash" is how I got over in the past!)

Anyone have any guidance they could offer as to the present state or price of these things?

Score local Kijiji and Craigslist ads. You can get 2225 baskets for $25.00, 2226 baskets for $35.00. Don't pay more. Except perhaps for a rare 18" 2245 basket with the rear foilcap that says "2245". Otherwise a regular 2240 basket is around $40-$45 at most. Ebay is where all the fools can be found. No wonder prices are too high...

Thanks for the timely response!
    I will take your advice to heart after checking my local Craig's list and finding many PA/sound reinforcement/musical instrument offerings. I saw a few things of interest, but no E140 baskets. I will keep looking.

Funny you mention the 2245. I have been looking at buying one reconed as an E155 for a few months. A friend has one. He is getting tired of asking, but he wants $200 bucks. While I am sure that it is well worth the $ to a bass player, I want the 2245 only for a sub and as I see it, HE has "ruined it" and I will have to recone it to get what I really want. (actually I think it was done before he bought it) He is done with the road, so he is getting rid of all his big gear.

Any comments on a 2245H reconed as an E155? I know it works and my "friend" has used it for twenty years in its present shape, but he is moving to smaller "living room sized" equipment (seriously tiny Fender Champ amp sporting an 8" atop an accessory cab loaded with a single 15 JBL) and has no use for large amps, anymore.

What could one (wanting to use a real 18" subwoofer in a bi-amped home theater LFE sub system) expect from a 2245 basket reconed as an E155?

Thread Information