Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JBL 2245H vs 2241H vs 2242H vs 2235H vs TAD 1601 Performance over the 30hz - 200Hz

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    9 cubic ft tuned to 28 Hz.Boxes were built for Mike Baker(by 4313B) for his 2245's and then I got them and put 2242's in them.
    Hey Ron, I'm going try a pair of the 4645B (8 cu. ft.) cabinets with 2242 in my basement setup. The spec sheet says it's tuned for 25Hz. Good starting place, right? Did you run yours with any EQ? What kind of low pass filter should I start with? Yeah, these are to use with Jensen Imperials, which still have the JBL LE15B. Haven't cracked the house foundation yet, so... MOAR BASS!
    deHavilland Aries SE 845; UltraFi Monaco SE 845
    Tannoy GRF-R, DMT15; '52 Jensen Imperials+JBL 2441, LE15B; TAD 2402 clones

I have those cabinets with 2242's in them and used them for a DJ situation. Sounded fantastic for that but I prefer the 2245 for listening to music at home. The bass is much better with a single 2245. 2242 rolls of the bottom a lot quicker than the 2245 and are designed to be used in pro sound situations where you have a bunch of them grouped together, boosting the bottom. The 2245 would have too much bass in a pro sound application and sound muddy.

Quote Originally Posted by originaltubino View Post
    Hey Ron, I'm going try a pair of the 4645B (8 cu. ft.) cabinets with 2242 in my basement setup. The spec sheet says it's tuned for 25Hz. Good starting place, right? Did you run yours with any EQ? What kind of low pass filter should I start with? Yeah, these are to use with Jensen Imperials, which still have the JBL LE15B. Haven't cracked the house foundation yet, so... MOAR BASS!
    EQ them at the tuning frequency add 6db Q2 just like the BX-63 don't forget to highpass filter them if used with EQ if you are going to push them hard.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

maxwedge,

RE The 2245 would have too much bass in a pro sound application and sound muddy.

As part of the Concert Series JBL did released in 1986 a double 2245 VLF sound reinforcement cab, model 4842. Box tuning at 27 hz.

Richard
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

+1 for the 2245H fire. I run two, and they are vastly superior to every other sub or low frequency driver I've auditioned, namely the 128H, 2214H. Very musical, ticks all the right boxes and massages your spine if called for. May or may not have cracked one of my windows.

I like/use the 2241s. You can put them in a smaller cabinet than 2245s with more efficiency and they will go deeper than 2242s. I also prefer the sound of the accordion edge as opposed to the foam edge. I feel the accordion edge presents more harmonics and a more natural sound on bass guitar and especially string bass than the foam edge.

Most probably the cheapest to obtain too!

https://youtu.be/oLgQCHmXSUU

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    maxwedge, RE The 2245 would have too much bass in a pro sound application and sound muddy. As part of the Concert Series JBL did released in 1986 a double 2245 VLF sound reinforcement cab, model 4842. Box tuning at 27 hz. Richard
    Muddy isn't the word that I should have used. I like both the 2242 and 2245 but think that the 2242 is better in SR when multiple cabinets are used. The 2245 with a bunch of grouped cabs will have an elevated VLF where the same speakers using 2242 will be close to flat due to it's LF roll off because of LF coupling. Plus the 2242 is more efficient and handles more power. I mostly listen to rock and prefer the 2245 in my living room. I would probably do best with a 2242 in my left corner and a 2245 at the right side, which is a wall. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    Muddy isn't the word that I should have used. I like both the 2242 and 2245 but think that the 2242 is better in SR when multiple cabinets are used. The 2245 with a bunch of grouped cabs will have an elevated VLF where the same speakers using 2242 will be close to flat due to it's LF roll off because of LF coupling. Plus the 2242 is more efficient and handles more power. I mostly listen to rock and prefer the 2245 in my living room. I would probably do best with a 2242 in my left corner and a 2245 at the right side, which is a wall. :-)
    Hi maxwedgeAs I know 2242 is made for SR, and interestingly its TS parameters have a tendency to reach 2245 but measured under heavy load (large power)Regardsivica

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    I like/use the 2241s. You can put them in a smaller cabinet than 2245s with more efficiency and they will go deeper than 2242s. I also prefer the sound of the accordion edge as opposed to the foam edge. I feel the accordion edge presents more harmonics and a more natural sound on bass guitar and especially string bass than the foam edge.

Most probably the cheapest to obtain too!

https://youtu.be/oLgQCHmXSUU
    Hrmmm... How small a cabinet are we talkin' here? I think the B460 clone cabs I've got are 8cu ft like the originals? Increased efficiency is always nice. A quick look at the specs that make sense to me show the 2241 rated to 30hz vs the 2245 at 20hz. If I auditioned 2241's, would I still want/need the BX63A? Like Maxwedge said, I too, mostly listen to rock. Love the system for bass, have noticed how life-like bass guitar and drums sound now, very nice impact as well. So if it's possible to get that even better, I'm intrigued. There's a set of 2241H's on the bay for ~$500 + shipping.... EDIT: I see both "H" and "G" versions of the 2241. What's the "G" version and which is best for my application? - Oh, those are 4 ohm'ers.

Hey Derek;
    If you try the 2241’s you will need more than the BX360A to get it to play as low as the 2245. Even more EQ in a smaller box.

As for efficiency there is actually a good automotive parallel here. You know by adjusting cam timing you can trade torque for horse power. With a woofer you can trade away LF response for a gain in efficiency. The 2241 has done just that. The natural frequency response will start later and tilt higher than the 2245.

Will you like it better? That is anyone’s guess.

All the best.
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Hrmmm... How small a cabinet are we talkin' here? I think the B460 clone cabs I've got are 8cu ft like the originals? Increased efficiency is always nice. A quick look at the specs that make sense to me show the 2241 rated to 30hz vs the 2245 at 20hz. If I auditioned 2241's, would I still want/need the BX63A? Like Maxwedge said, I too, mostly listen to rock. Love the system for bass, have noticed how life-like bass guitar and drums sound now, very nice impact as well. So if it's possible to get that even better, I'm intrigued. There's a set of 2241H's on the bay for ~$500 + shipping.... EDIT: I see both "H" and "G" versions of the 2241. What's the "G" version and which is best for my application? - Oh, those are 4 ohm'ers.
    You can run the 2241s down to ~6-1/2 cu ft interior volume with good results. (I thinks that's about what mine are.) For those who doubt the capability of the 2241 (especially if you do want to put them in big cabinets (up to 12 cu ft), run the 2241, 2242, and 2245 through WinISD and I think you will be suprised at the results. It's what convinced me.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    You can run the 2241s down to ~6-1/2 cu ft interior volume with good results. (I thinks that's about what mine are.) For those who doubt the capability of the 2241 (especially if you do want to put them in big cabinets (up to 12 cu ft), run the 2241, 2242, and 2245 through WinISD and I think you will be suprised at the results. It's what convinced me.
    I'll run all of those in BBP6 at 12 cu ft and three 4 inch optimized ports tomorrow and post the graphs.

12 cu foot box and three 4 inch ports optimized for suggested FB for each driver. FB for each driver: 2241/30.66 Hz, 2242/26.28 Hz and 2245/22.11 Hz.

Scott,

RE "... for suggested FB for each driver." That and the shape of your curves leads me to believe you may have asked the software for max flat response or on its own it defaulted to max flat response?

This is generally not the best outcome in my experience. User done (playing with Vb and Fb) often generates a better result for me. Your curves also differ from those of JBL.

2241/2242: you're tuning the woofers below their 35 hz Fs, this can become a slippery road at high level, more so for 2242 Fb @ 26 hz. I know JBL did it in tech sheet, but will they put in writing they'll recone it free if its been damaged, claiming abuse (used outside of normal terms/capabilities)?

In addition note JBL's vented box for 2242 is 8 cu ft, not 10 cu ft as in 2241, a little marketing trick to make it look better bass wise. 12 cu ft makes it even more unreasonable in my view.

200 hz level higher than LF is a sign of a driver being stretched.

Richard