Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know anything about IMAX speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    So that means, you have ONE 600x for the highs, and the mids, (utilising the internal x-over),
    No. See my original post in the thread. There is no internal crossover. All crossover functions are active. The amps are all stereo. Half of a 600x drives the HF, the other half drives the MF. The 800x drives all four 12s, two per channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Mitchell View Post
    No. See my original post in the thread. There is no internal crossover. All crossover functions are active. The amps are all stereo. Half of a 600x drives the HF, the other half drives the MF. The 800x drives all four 12s, two per channel.

I'll tell you what I have.....

I have 600x amps that are 3 channel, with two being bridged internally and only have one signal input and a Low signal output, plus a pair of speaker outs on the back panel. (one has a white terminal (Highs), and the other has black (Mids) for the -(ve) connections, but both still having matching red terminals for the +(ve) connections.)
    One side for highs (L) 125W (8 Ohms), the other for mids (R) 250W (8 Ohms).
    There is also a 3-way Active X-over card (band pass filter, call it what you will), built into the unit. It is made and branded by Sonics.
    It feeds the 'two' channels in the 600x, with, as mentioned, a separate link on the back panel for the 'lows' signal output.
    The 800x amps are bridged Mono blocks (800W into 4 Ohm). Each has an input for the 600x 'low' output link, and then there's another link OUT to connect to a 'slaved' 800x to power up the second pair of 12"
    With my setup, I have one 600x powering the mid and highs, and TWO 800x each feeding a pair of 12" (per channel. That's 3 Amps per box. Obviously the same again for the other channel, as I'm only running stereo at the moment.)

Post #48, 4th pic shows two of my 800x amps I'm currently using at home on another stereo, of which one 800x has been converted back to stereo (top one), and the bottom 800x I'm using for my sub.
    I did this after consulting with Bryston, who graciously told me how. (Love those guys at Bryston's.)

In Post #53, first pic, shows the different colour connectors used for the 600x and the labelling says that there's an internal 3-way crossover module, which if you look at the following pic, there it is...

So forgive me Jay if I find your comment "There is no internal crossover", confusing.....

Then there's the Subs, each with it's own bridged 800x... but that's another story.

G.
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

There is also a 3-way Active X-over card (band pass filter, call it what you will), built into the unit. It is made and branded by Sonics.
    I designed that. It is essential to the proper function of a PPS loudspeaker.

So forgive me Jay if I find your comment "There is no internal crossover", confusing.....
    You had earlier mistakenly called the DC-blocking caps on the circuit board a "crossover." It was my impression - which turns out also to be mistaken - that you were referring to this board when you spoke of an internal crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Mitchell View Post
    I designed that. It is essential to the proper function of a PPS loudspeaker.

You had earlier mistakenly called the DC-blocking caps on the circuit board a "crossover." It was my impression - which turns out also to be mistaken - that you were referring to this board when you spoke of an internal crossover.
    Mine were all too noisy, and I've bypassed them and now using Brooke Sirens crossovers....
    If I could find schematics for the 600x x-o's, I'd try to fix them but I can't.
    The BSS sound just great so it's solved my problem.

Mine were all too noisy,
    What kind of noise, and which channels (low, mid, high?). Those boards were extremely quiet by design, and maximum noise levels were strictly enforced in QC.

and I've bypassed them and now using Brooke Sirens crossovers....
    Then you don't have PPS loudspeakers any more. The crossover - which does a lot more than just divide the spectrum - is an integral part of the design. The highpass/lowpass filters are themselves unique, and there are other essential functions that a storebought crossover can't provide.

If I could find schematics for the 600x x-o's, I'd try to fix them but I can't.
    I just dug through my archives and found schematics from the original spin of the crossover. I'll scan the sheets next chance I get. If you'll send me a PM with an email address, I'll send them to you. It may take awhile, because other items on my to-do have higher priority.

The BSS sound just great so it's solved my problem.
    There's no way the speaker works (meaning sounds) as designed with an off-the-shelf crossover. If you can get the correct crossover repaired, the speakers will sound much better.

Thank you Jay.
    I've PM'ed you.
    Talk soon.

All the best.

G.

Wondering if anyone has the outside measurements for the subs?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...2&d=1370718623

Lee

Here's a copy of the schematics for the Sonics 600x crossover graciously made available by Jay.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...PS%20Xover.pdf

Cheers all.

*Note to Lee:

I put forward your question to my mate Ged, who has all the IMAX stuff in his studio.
    Just waiting for a reply.

G.

So cool when you get to actually talk with the designers
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Oxmoor interface

Good evening to woofer and to all;

Could you ask your mate Ged if he has the schematic of the PA-422 interface to program those DEQ-1 of Oxmoor?
    I have 6 of DEQ-1 and they are a bit hard to program without that interface.
    My amps are of AB international with built-in active crossovers.

Grtngs Johan-Belgium.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorre Pulle View Post
    Good evening to woofer and to all;

Could you ask your mate Ged if he has the schematic of the PA-422 interface to program those DEQ-1 of Oxmoor?
    I have 6 of DEQ-1 and they are a bit hard to program without that interface.
    My amps are of AB international with built-in active crossovers.

Grtngs Johan-Belgium.

Hello Johan,

Unfortunately, no. Don't have the interface, or schematics, but the DEQ-1 is very easy to program without one.
    It's a little bit inconvenient, to have to pop the lid off to do it, but other than that, they are very easy to set up.

Cheers,
    George.

Hi to all
    I found this thread today by accident while searching Jbl.
    Tests I made seated at the center,five seats down from the back I have tested a sound level of 82dB to 85db continuous and between 110dB to 118dB peak. (GT IMAX)

Did you get the panels for the side of the box the two panels is part of the speaker they are there to direct low tones forward.

You guys said the crossover frequency is 80hz,800hz and 7000hz IS THAT CORRECT? For that GT
    PPS enclosure.
    Most 8 inches speaker reaches a maximum of 5000hz. 7000Hz is 2000hz higher than the 8 inch speaker range.

80Hz lowpass for the sub,
    800hz lowpass for the 4 12s,
    800hz to 7000hz bandpass for the 8 inch. 2000Hz more.
    7000hz highpass for the high frequency driver.

Woofer you said you got a problem with a lack of 2.5K. That is a drawback of a constant directivity

horn. constant directivity horn has a dip in frequency between 2k to 5k.
    From the above I think the mid horn is a constant directivity horn.

A constant directivity horn is to provide the same volume (SPL) at all frequencies for the coverage area. Sounds pretty much like a (PPS).

The crossover is not there to divide the frequency spectrum alone it also time align (DELAY) the speakers,attenuates the volume to match the drivers,flatten the 2.5k dip in frequency curve etc.

Are the four 12s 16 ohms? from your photos they are connected in parallel to make 8 ohms.

what are the model number of the 8,12 and 18 drivers?
    Post some photos of the Eminence OEM tags numbers I will see what info I can get on them.

Jorre Pulle Their is a guy on ebay seller name utdj that has the Oxmoor Sonics Associates IMAX DEQ-1 High Resolution Programmable EQ with controller.

Joseph

Thanks heaps for that, Joseph.
    I hope others here find your input helpful.

The IMAX's have since moved on.
    I don't have access to them any more, so what there is, is what there is….

Cheers all.

Hi

Woofer you got rid of the imax boxes they are outstanding boxes
    Just wondering if you got the model number of the 8 inch midrange driver even if its OEM numbers
    plus the 12s and 18s

Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Hi

Woofer you got rid of the imax boxes they are outstanding boxes
    Just wondering if you got the model number of the 8 inch midrange driver even if its OEM numbers
    plus the 12s and 18s

Joseph
    Yes, I'm so sorry Joseph, but they were installed into a studio, and it's just not practical to get access to them any more.
    …. but maybe, if someone else is monitoring this thread, they may be able to help.

Read back through this thread, and maybe you could PM one of the others that have them and post your findings here if you could.

Sincerely,
    George. (Woofer)

Thread Information