Thread: Recording studio Sound City / South by Southwest festival.

Recording studio Sound City / South by Southwest festival.

Foo Fighters frontman and former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl is out with a musical tribute to the legendary music studio Sound City.

Name:  Sound City.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  12.9 KB

Also a film that will be shown at the South by Southwest festival in Austin.

South by Southwest 2013
    Also this year, many Norwegian artists attend South by South West,
    HighasaKite, Heyerdahl, Bernhoft, Therese Aune, Marit Larsen, Karpe Diem, Funk, Mikhael Paskalev, Thomas Dybdahl, and Young Dreams

I just finished watching it. Very interesting and inspirational. Almost turns into a Neve mixing board vs ProTools Even almost renewed my faith in Paul McCartney...

It is a good story line. A story about a place that expanded into a story about a place and people that expanded into a story about a place where people had the time of their lives.

The movie starts with bringing a small studio to life. Does seeing a big 2-inch R-R tape deck loaded up and brought to speed give you a bit envy? The movie quickly transitions to the trek of a Northwest grunge band all the way down one side of the country to make an album. Only the destination is not in West Hollywood, or Sunset, or even Burbank but in Van Nuys. Well outside the center of sound production in the LA area.

The appearance of the studio upon arrival was a let down. The buildings were concrete blocks. A parking structure covered part of the offices. The neighborhood was hardly the place to be after hours. The entrance to the studio was seedy. The visual was demonstrated in the movie as a van that left the green vistas of Seattle the day before moves into the crowded highways around LA and finally into a small business unit just off the main freeway. Turns out the destination was a special place to get a certain sound laid down. In just 16 days the band recorded a landmark album which in turn resurrected a small independent studio struggling in the new digital age.

Half the film is about the studio, its people, artists who passed through there, artists whose careers were launched from their experiences in that studio. Finally it tells a story about change and how time can pass you by.

The other half of the film is about artists making and recording music through a legacy of that studio, an all analog mixing console that is known for- wait for it- that kind of warmth and punch it provides to the sound.

It is worth a watch. Especially if you have ever wound tape on an open reel player at home or ever had the desire to hang out in a studio for a time to see music made.

P.S. I purchased and viewed the DVD.
    David F
    San Jose

... and it's available on Torrents.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    ... and it's available on Torrents.
    Oh Puhlease - not some funky capture by a wack-job with a handheld camera in a theater!!

Those are TERRIBLE and audio sucks too!

I can wait 3 months and catch it on Bluray with good audio and all the features!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Oh Puhlease - not some funky capture by a wack-job with a handheld camera in a theater!!

Those are TERRIBLE and audio sucks too!

I can wait 3 months and catch it on Bluray with good audio and all the features!
    Don't worry Missuss. This not from a hand held camera. It's a DVD rip that I had the pleasure to view. Sound was great, especially the drum recording sessions. The house was shaky. Compression technology now allows rips to be very close to a DVD depending on who did it. ;-) BTW If you have the bandwidth, you can even download the BlueRay...

I highly recommend this documentary.

Thread Information