Thread: almost full range enclosure for guitar build advice E140/E110/2213

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E120's have higher sensitivity

Speaker design for guitar is really a personal matter, so there's no right or wrong answer. If you get the sound you want, its right. If this were sound reinforcement or reproduction you would likely seek a flatter, uncolored response.

Having said that, the low end in the proposed system will be less than it could be. Baron030 already pointed out the the output drop below the mid 100 hz, but there's also a difference in sensitivity between E140's (100db) and E120's (103 db). http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/eseries.pdf You will have to think about the difference in volume of what's coming out of the E120's and the frequencies rolled off by the E140 cabinet. If you play harmonics on the G B and E strings on the seventh fret or above, those tones are going to cut through the mix. The crossover point will make a difference as to where the difference in volume occurs, but doesn't necessarily solve the problem.

Again, whether this is good or bad, isn't decided on paper. Its up to you and your audience.

You could add attenuation to the crossover to give it flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by parker_knoll View Post
    I'm using E120s crossover over for the mids and highs, so that should avoid the icepick.

It looks like the speaker itself is roughly 6 litres volume, less when front mounted. if i go for a box with internal dimensions of 60cm x 50cm x 40cm that gives me 120 litres, which, less the speaker, delivers pretty much 4 cubic feet. I think i can work that, and it doesn't seem overly small. it works with Baron's graphs. would you define that as a small box?

As i said i have the low filter so that's all good.

Hi, hopefully I mentioned I'm putting twice the power into the E140 than the two E120s, and the result is that they sound pretty balanced, although without crossovers there's too much doubling in the mids, as you'd expect. In the long term I'll probably match the E140 with an E110 which should be a better pairing.

What I'm specifically looking for is getting the best out of the low end in the E140 while having a reasonably portable rig. it looks like JBL's own recommended cab size for a single E140 is manageable. I'm going to keep my eyes out for something approximating those dimensions. it may well be i'd be better off with a 2225 or something since I'm really looking to emphasise the bottom end and in fact i've just bought one of those this very evening, so I'll compare and contrast when it arrives, although at much lower sensitivity it might be better suited for biamping ultimately.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldcountryJim View Post
    Speaker design for guitar is really a personal matter, so there's no right or wrong answer. If you get the sound you want, its right. If this were sound reinforcement or reproduction you would likely seek a flatter, uncolored response.

Having said that, the low end in the proposed system will be less than it could be. Baron030 already pointed out the the output drop below the mid 100 hz, but there's also a difference in sensitivity between E140's (100db) and E120's (103 db). http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/eseries.pdf You will have to think about the difference in volume of what's coming out of the E120's and the frequencies rolled off by the E140 cabinet. If you play harmonics on the G B and E strings on the seventh fret or above, those tones are going to cut through the mix. The crossover point will make a difference as to where the difference in volume occurs, but doesn't necessarily solve the problem.

Again, whether this is good or bad, isn't decided on paper. Its up to you and your audience.

You could add attenuation to the crossover to give it flexibility.

Thread Information