Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY 4520 bass horn build

Oh im a lucky duck. I pulled the diaphragm yesterday. No burns on it. It looked fine. I checked the vc gap and could see some junk in there. Cleaning it and put the phragm back in. Sounds great again.

Started on the next step for these which is the corssover. Im going to run these up to 800hz and it will be active.

So I coldered up the tube active crossover.
    This is the crossover. Ill connect it to a transformer and test it out tonight.
    Name:  2013-03-22 08.20.50.jpg
Views: 2714
Size:  178.2 KB

Got the cabinet upstairs on Saturday. Oh my gosh. Why did I build these monsters. Once I got it up stairs I thought I was going to die. Of course I did it back wards. I had the heavy end at the top. Next time Ill have the heavy end on the low end. But we basically sled it up the star. Or rather I pulled it and my friend kept it from sliding back down and through a wall. I figured there would be a massive difference between the two. There is but the sound seem to meld together quite well. Luckily I don't seem to have any real issues with standing wave. The exact opposite actually. The bass seems to be dampened. I haven't done anything to the room as far as treatments. Theres not much in it either. We still have furniture to buy, LOL. But it is carpeted and not square so that helps. It does have a very quick echo. But I'm guessing thats because theres nothing on the walls to speak of.

Name:  543694_10200285219867318_742993948_n.jpg
Views: 2348
Size:  59.6 KB

Now to start the next horn. Once thats done I think its horn building time.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    We still have furniture to buy, LOL.Now to start the next horn. Once thats done I think its horn building time.Nick
    Thats what I like! A man with priorities. What does your future ex wife think of all this?
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

So I coldered up the tube active crossover.
    This is the crossover. Ill connect it to a transformer and test it out tonight.
    I would like to know more about the crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Thats what I like! A man with priorities. What does your future ex wife think of all this?

LOL, Thats funny. She likes it and soon to be, them. She thinks this setup sounds better then the a7's. And thats just in mono action. Ive cut loose all my other hobby so shedoesn'tt mind my audio hobby in the least. She just wants her side of the garage back .

We have been in this house since November. The only real furniture we need is for the game room. So its not like we're sitting on pizza boxes or something, LOL.
    Its just upstairs in the game room is the one room left. Not empty. Theres my system. A drum set, tread mill, and tv. Oh and some miscellaneous audio paraphernalia.

As far as crossovers. Its a crossover off a jbl theater 2 way cabinet. I think its from a 4670. Just 800hz 4 ohm woofer and 8 mids. Its just an impromptu setup still. Once I get the other cabinet up here Ill start thinking about a shelf for my gear. But for the finI'm crossover Im not sure whI'm direction im going to go. I might use a active crossover for the 800hz point and passive for the mids and highs. Or I might just go passive all the way. Not sure, but it will probably bhaven'tve.

I havent cranked it up while its beI'm in the house. Im not a person insanelykes musI'm insanly loud. Im happy in the 90 db range though. But I did when it was in the garWill. Crazy loud. Wil an 180 watt amp it will go well into the 120 db range.

It really makes pipe organ music come alive. Shacks the house at low volumes.

More10, Its a crossover designed by Peter Millett. Its a 3 pole salen key filter that uses 12au7's or 12bh7a twin triode tubes. I was going to get it running this weekend but realized the twouldn'tmer I wanted to use wouldnt work.

So I have to buy one for it.

Well its that time of year again here in Texas. Spring, which brings the pine pollen. Its really put a damper on me getting the second horn built. By the time I get home from work I dont feel like working in the garage.

We have got a lot of rain over the last few days and the temp has dropped so hopefully the weekend will be good. Ive got a lot of work to do.

As for the built horn there are some issues. Not with the horn but the room. Im getting a wicked bass nullification. Ive moved them away from the wall and Ive moved toward them. Its helped but the output is no where near what it should be. Standing right in front of them is like a earthquake at high output. Makes the whole hose shake at high volume. So I know there working right. Im thinking its about time for some traps.

Nick

Finally started cutting mdf on horn number 2 today. I also tested the rip cut. It actually works pretty well. You have to push from both ends of the guide. I should be able to cut all the internal pieces and maybe get some parts glued and screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    Finally started cutting mdf on horn number 2 today. I also tested the rip cut. It actually works pretty well. You have to push from both ends of the guide. I should be able to cut all the internal pieces and maybe get some parts glued and screwed.
    Hey Nick,

Glad to hear the Rip-Cut works good. Yeah, Oak was kicking my butt the past couple of weeks here, too. The rain helped to keep things down but sometimes that just stirs things up even more. It's going to be a rough one this summer!

Started really working on the Onken/Altec's this week. Took my 511B's to a friends and used his sand-blaster to strip off all the old paint. I haven't decided whether or not I want to just paint the horns myself or take them to be powder-coated. I'll leave that for last while I weigh the options.

Decided to forgo using my circular saw and guide in favor of just hauling my wood off to be professionally cut. Doing that this Wed, so I will be able to begin construction on the Onken cabinets. If I can get my son to let me borrow his camera I'll snap some pics and post them in another thread.

Have you sorted out the bass issue you were experiencing? Just a thought, but is your X-over in the correct phase? Sometimes when wired out of phase it can have that effect. Just thinking out loud.

Willy

Hey Willy,

I've done some more cutting today. I was going yo try and get all the my pieces cut today. I cut all the pieces today and should have it put together by next weekend.

If I was working with that supper thick stuff you are I think I would do the same.

as for the null in my @ss I've improved it but its not perfect. I'm not going to get carried away until the second horn is built and upstairs. Then I'll move things around to optimise the lows. There is more furniture to be bought and put in upstairs and I think that will help. I originally though a out of phase issues with the lows but after switching things around there was no change. I then started moving things and got an improvement. That when I started reading up on it and figured out my problem.

But its coming along, slowly but surely.

Nice work Nick!

If you didnt experience that "kick" bass issue in your garage than its probably the room. Back loaded horn enclosures do struggle with some nullification problems in the upper bass though, but not to the extent of which you describe.

I dont know anything about the drivers that you are using. Are you considering changing them to JBL drivers in the future? I believe the bass will change character rather much depending on what drivers you are using.

/Mostly

Name:  2013-04-08 20.14.58.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  80.4 KB

Here is number 2 as of last night. Should have it complete by this weekend if things go smoothly.

Hey Mostly,
    Thanks. Im familar with the dips in response do to the recombination of the front and back waves off the driver. When testing it in my garage I had no problems. It was great. Its when they went upstairs to ther permanent home is when the problems started. Its improved but hasn't been completely remedied. Once this one is finished and upstairs I will start working on the room. Until that happens I think it would be a bad idea to try and get into the problem since it could change completely once the second horn is there. I am planning on mosing them to the other side of the wall there currently on once it ther though.

Then Im going to start using rew for help.

Nick

I think it would be a bad idea to try and get into the problem since it could change completely once the second horn is there
    Sounds reasonable. I believe thats why people suggest using two subwoofers instead of one, easier to counter room acustic problems.

/Mostly

Quote Originally Posted by Mostlydiy View Post
    Sounds reasonable. I believe thats why people suggest using two subwoofers instead of one, easier to counter room acustic problems.

/Mostly
    Thats next. But ya Ive heard the same thing. It wont have to cover much of the spectrum. Just 30hz and down. I would like to go to 15hz. Ive got some ideas for a bandpass cabinet I modeled on winisd. I need to try and build some shelves first. To put my gear on so it's not just sitting on the floor. No more impromptu setup ,LOL.

Nick

Why donīt you use a few extra screws when fastening those shelves. Double 4520 will make thinks fall down from the walls

15 to 30Hz that sure is ULF... I suppose you will be using whose subs for HT and gaming and not so much for music

/Mostly

By the way, shelves are way over hyped...

Name:  floor.jpg
Views: 2118
Size:  15.5 KB

Thread Information