Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: JBL 2360 - new install

I think I know where a new pair of those are! In fact I had my hands on one an hour ago. Look on the bay under 4675C-HFA.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

In regard of the multi-piece plastic 2360B. I definitely have to find a set ;-)
    They sure look fine, but isnt the dispersion pattern of the 2360A prefered over the 2360B in short throw applications/home hifi installations?

/Mostly

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I think I know where a new pair of those are! In fact I had my hands on one an hour ago. Look on the bay under 4675C-HFA.
    Very nice. Seems like JBL solved many problems with this version of the horns. Much easier to ship and stock. $1100 is not a bad price with the drivers. I'll wait until I find the horns only, without drivers. I wonder if the original aluminum throat adapters work with the second generation main horns. I can see they are out of Las Vegas. Are they yours? ;-)

They're not mine. This guy has a bunch of 2226's for sale and I saw the horns while I was there sorting woofers.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Well thats a novel idea. Is there a seal of some sort on all the flanges? I guess there would have to be wouldn't there. Would make it much easier to fabricate them.

Man I need to learn to work with fiberglass.

Nick

The new ones are a form of ABS, if I recall correctly (vs fiberglass).
    Similar to what can be used for auto door panels. There's some text
    describing the multiple benefits somewhere here ...

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    The new ones are a form of ABS, if I recall correctly (vs fiberglass).
    Similar to what can be used for auto door panels. There's some text
    describing the multiple benefits somewhere here ...
    I do recall reading that before. Just forgot. Its a lot easier to diy fiberglass then diy injection modling though, LOL.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    I do recall reading that before. Just forgot. Its a lot easier to diy fiberglass then diy injection modling though, LOL.
    The only downside to plastic injection is the high cost of the molds. Everything else is on the positive side. Parts are way more precise. They are stronger and you can modulate hardness and density by picking your type of plastic. And let's not forget repeatitivity. Every single plastic horn is exactly the same as any other. While not two fiberglass horns are the same. Platic injection molding makes the horn a better product.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    The only downside to plastic injection is the high cost of the molds. Everything else is on the positive side. Parts are way more precise. They are stronger and you can modulate hardness and density by picking your type of plastic. And let's not forget repeatitivity. Every single plastic horn is exactly the same as any other. While not two fiberglass horns are the same. Platic injection molding makes the horn a better product.

No argument there. But its not possible to do diy injection molding. Unless your rich or maybe own a company that does it.

Nick

On a lower budget, it is possible to go with rotomolding. But it still requires to machine an aluminum mold (not two like for injection). But hey, JBL is rich and they wouldn't mind spending $20k on a single mold.

On a lower budget, it is possible to go with rotomolding. But it still requires to machine an aluminum mold (not two like for injection). But hey, JBL is rich and they wouldn't mind spending $20k on a single mold.

At those prices they could make it back pretty quite.

Actually, if I use the 2245 as a sub only for the 20 to 40Hz range, it is because it sounds muddy for any frequency above 150Hz in my opinion. Nonetheless I still want to experiment later by replacing the two 15" 2226 by two 18" 2242 which I feel can reach 400Hz wit a bit of equalization to tame down anything above 100Hz. My goal is to test a two-way system based on an 18" 2242 and 2360 horn and see if I can do without an auxiliary sub.
    Hi Lee.
    I know this is a little dated but did you get around to evaluating the dual 18's vs dual 2226's? If you did, what were your conclusions?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwikas View Post
    Hi Lee.
    I know this is a little dated but did you get around to evaluating the dual 18's vs dual 2226's? If you did, what were your conclusions?
    Sorry for the late reply. I did some testing. My system is currently set-up as two main cabinets (2226 + 2360) and a sub (2245). Over time, I realized I was not firing the sub most of the time. It gave me a drier bass which has some qualities. When firing the sub, the bottom end becomes too present. Good for the ego, but detracting from the music. So, basically, I elected to keep the 2226/2360 combo, assisted with a 2245 sub only from time to time. I have two bare 2245 baskets that I will use, one day. Just not now. ;-) I managed to eq the 2226 in such a way that I am not bothered not having 20-35Hz (Filtering = bandpass Q-0.8 at 35Hz - 12db boost)

Lee

Yes , the 2242 would blend much better .

Thread Information