Now it makes sense ;-) Thanks
    I will try that this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    I will try that this weekend.
    Hi Lee,

Any more info ?

Regards
    Ivica

This is interesting. The 2360A certainly is a horn I would like to try out. Nice work! To bad to see 2360 getting thrown in the garbage earlier in the thread though...

/Mostly

Id certianly love to try a pair. But unless you can find them in your area. Shipping them is ridiculous.

Nick

pentictonklaus

M 552 ?

Lee !
    You might try a JBL M 552. I think it has a EQ curve for the 2360 built in.

I have played with a 6db high pass filter and it seems to do the work.

BTW If you guys are interested in some JBL 2360s and live in Ohio, there are a few units that haven't been sent to the dumpster. Check Eric on AVS Forum. BTW Nobody ships 2360 horns. Too big (requiring a pallet) and too expensive. I suspect that the same phenomenom that took place with the 2390 slant horns will happen with the 2360s. They got all trashed because they were big, for people to recognize their value two decades later, commanding insane prices...

Im feeling kind of stupid saying this again but I might have a par of 2360A incoming as well

/Mostly

Quote Originally Posted by Mostlydiy View Post
    Im feeling kind of stupid saying this again but I might have a par of 2360A incoming as well
    Don't feel kinda stupid. Feel kinda lucky ;-)

Lee

I am lucky Just figured I´ve said it too many times in other threads already. Lots of things incoming... I heard you missed out on the sissling from the 2405. Do you think that another 2" driver might fill the space better? Im thinking 475Nd or 476Be perhaps? I know they are rare and hard to come by but theoretically?

/Mostly

Actually, it is not so mch the sizzling of the 2405 that I am "missing" but the "point source" that I got used to with other horns' directivity. By design, the 2360 simply widens the source and spreads the spectrum equally. So, if you run the 2360 in a small room, there's a loss in precision because the sound bounces from everywhere, especially sidewalls, while with regular horns the beam is narrower from the upper mids and above.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Actually, it is not so mch the sizzling of the 2405 that I am "missing" but the "point source" that I got used to with other horns' directivity. By design, the 2360 simply widens the source and spreads the spectrum equally. So, if you run the 2360 in a small room, there's a loss in precision because the sound bounces from everywhere, especially sidewalls, while with regular horns the beam is narrower from the upper mids and above.
    I figured that beeming from high frequencies in certain horns is something "un wanted" so to speak. I have ~500Hz round tractrix horns and I know they are beeming when crossed to high. It sure does narrow down the sweet spot.

/Mostly

I'm guessing it boils down to what you want. I like a nice sized sweet spot. I don't want the head rest vise on my comfy chair

How wide is your room Lee?

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    How wide is your room Lee?
    The room is part of my "office". About 15' by 25' with 8' ceilings. The thing is with such a wide and equal dispersion across the spectrum, there's no more sweetspot, which was the goal of those horns. The whole theater received "equal treatment"... BTW on another subject, I was battling with crossover problems when cutting two ranges at the same frequency. I have always used the Butterworth method, and it didn't sound right. Then I tried this morning the Linkwitz-Riley filters and suddenly the sky opened up and a ray of light fell on me...

Here's why
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkwitz–Riley_filter
    Attached Images Attached Images  

pentictonklaus
    M 552 ?
    Lee !
    You might try a JBL M 552. I think it has a EQ curve for the 2360 built in.
    FOI

Might be an interesting read regarding the EQ question.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...BFREQ-measured!

I also have my system at my office. It definitely has some advantages. The WAF factor is more or less out the window and after working hours and on weekends playing Black Sabbath 120dB doesn´t really bothers anyone

/Mostly

Quote Originally Posted by Mostlydiy View Post
    I also have my system at my office.
    My office / man cave is my house's basement. Sound system, shelves full of records, desk, computer. I design and distribute performance parts for mainly BMW racecars. Having music all day long is a great way to spend a good time, while working.

The improvement I did yestrday by selecting a Linkwitz-Riley filter is huge. No more bump at the crossover point. I had the DCX time align the sub / midbass/horns (2245/2226/2360) and it now sounds fanstatic. Music and movies. I watched "The book of Eli" last night and it was impressive.

JBL offers the 4645 bass cabinet (a 2242 woofer in a 9cft enclosure) for cinema purpose, to be used with 2360 or the smaller 2380. Therefore I think it is possible to build a two-way system around that 2242 woofer crossed at around 400Hz. Which is (you probaby already guessed it) my next attempt, even though I am already very happy with the 2226.

So far, I definitely recommend using those big elephant cheeks. 2360 horns are great. If you can find a pair before they are crushed and sent to the dumpster... like many of those below

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/images/...L_cabinets.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information