Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 2360 - new install

JBL 2360 - new install

Just got those and installed them this morning. Excuse me for the hodge podge of part used for the instal. I will clean-up my act later ;-)
    Will try to stick to a two-way system.

First impressions are positive sonicwise. I crossed at 350hz with an 18db slope and applied somme massive correction from 3.5Khz and up. I sure don't have the sizzling highs of the 2405, but so far the sound is pretty clear, and well sprread across the room. According to JBL's litterature, the horn is loading down to 350Hz, and will have an even coverage from 500Hz and up.

The only thing I don't like about those is how third-world the fabrication is. I am used to nice overlays of fiberglass or composites. Those horns are just gobs of "horse hair" mixed with epoxy. Not very sexy. Certainly not nice enough for the $1k asking price on new units.

Attached Images Attached Images  

The newer 236x horns are split and use different construction (ABS?), IIRC.
    Nice setup. I retired mine to the garage. Too imposing for a living room (for most ) and so clean sounding, the volume had to be watched (easy to over do it). Very top end was good but not great with 2446 (stock diaphragms), could use a tweeter for top octave. Very fun to listen to!

I am using 2445 drivers with their original bright/harsh titanium diaphragms. It seems it's a good match. When summer comes, I will take them out for a little spa. Smooth sanding and a light coat of dull black to remove the small surface scratches

2445s are what I started with... Moving to 2446s sounded better (more extended) to me... Plots of the 2446 look a bit "hashier" up there, but lifted ... I'm sure some would like the 2445 sound better... A different use/music type could make the 2445 a good stopping point.

I have some 2441 with original diaphragms as well as some 2440 with Radians. I will see over the course of time what I prefer. So far, I love having the mids and highs emanating from the same source. Definitely not point-source, but as a two-way system, it is more lively than many two-ways I've heard.

I have also used the 2360 with 2446 driver in a two way setup. I liked the sound, but I found the 2360 sounds best if you can cross it higher (in my case around 600 Hz). Otherwise I noticed a bit of harshness. I assumed this was due to pushing too much air through that diffraction slot.
    Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by withTarragon View Post
    I have also used the 2360 with 2446 driver in a two way setup. I liked the sound, but I found the 2360 sounds best if you can cross it higher (in my case around 600 Hz). Otherwise I noticed a bit of harshness. I assumed this was due to pushing too much air through that diffraction slot.
    Enjoy

"pushing too much air through that diffraction slot"
    is an argument I see on different forums. I hardly understand it for the following reason. The 2" throat has 3.1415sq.in area while the slot is roughly 3/4" x 15" and therefore 11.25 sq.in which is more than 3 times the area. If there's indeed too high a flow at the slot, then there's three time too much at the throat.

There's probably a better explanation why people don't like crossing over below that frequency.

You may well be correct.
    There is the phenomenon (sounds harsh) and the possible explanation (too much air being pushed). Let's concentrate on the phenomenon. Choice of crossover point is complex and your bass bin's bandwidth may not allow a higher crossover point. However, if you can then give it a try and see how it measures and sounds. Two-way systems are inherently tricky and various compromises need to be juggled, but I think it is worth it. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by withTarragon View Post
    Two-way systems are inherently tricky and various compromises need to be juggled, but I think it is worth it. Good luck.
    Using those 4520 bass cabinets is only temporary. I will install a pair of 10cubic ft bass reflex cabs with two 2226 in each of them. Those shall reach 500/600Hz easy. The bottom octave will be handled by a 2245 in a 10 cubic ft cabinet. I shall get a 2.1 system

humidifier media

the large, stiff media as used in house humidifiers is a great way to keep dust bunnies ( and fingers ) out of the throat, diffuse the pattern ( that pencil point of death ) down the middle and by adding sculpted layers, nice cosmetics. The 2360 horns that I used in my rental house system were coated on the back with car undercoating...dampens the sound quite a bit ( helps with that very low 500hz area ) and if desired, you can toss something onto the sticky surface for appearance before it hardens. Back in the day every single altec 811/511 had to have this treatment to be remotely usable. BTW a pair of urei 813B cabinets are available.....

Thanks for the tip. Adding some mass to the thin fiberglass will indeed help reach lower. I will use German Body Shutz this summer when come time to repaint the horn (next Spring).

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Using those 4520 bass cabinets is only temporary. I will install a pair of 10cubic ft bass reflex cabs with two 2226 in each of them. Those shall reach 500/600Hz easy. The bottom octave will be handled by a 2245 in a 10 cubic ft cabinet. I shall get a 2.1 system
    30 cubic feet of cabinets for your 2 channel stereo? That is a hell of a commitment!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    30 cubic feet of cabinets for your 2 channel stereo? That is a hell of a commitment!
    2226 drivers seem to offer decent bass in a 5 cubic ft enclosure tuned to 40Hz. Two woofers per side and you get 20cubic.ft per pair of cabinets. Plus 10 for the 2245. Each cabinet is roughly 36" x 24" x 24" while the back of each cabinet will be rounded. It's not that big. And don't forget that a 2360 horn is 36" deep with driver... BTW how big is a 4350?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    BTW how big is a 4350?
    Too big to live in my house!

Widget

Moved the big 4520 to the garage, and reinstalled a smaller set of cabs. The 2226 woofers need some serious equalization (8db at 40Hz) to get any extension due to the small cab - (3,5cft tuned to 47Hz). I could do without a sub on most musical content. Overall, the 2 way system sounds good. Still adjusting to get extra crisp on the 2360 horns. Understanding they are movie theater horns designed to cover up to, say, 15Khz, and not musical horns. I miss the sizzle from the 2405 ;-) - Long term project is to add a 10cft 2245 sub at the minimum, and perhaps build 10cft cabs for twin woofers. I have all summer for that...

Name:  DSCN2398.jpg
Views: 5367
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  DSCN2397.jpg
Views: 7446
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  DSCN2396.jpg
Views: 5350
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  DSCN2395.jpg
Views: 6442
Size:  74.9 KB