Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What were JBL 2235H 15" Speakers used in?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_M View Post
    Well I'm glad you asked that question.....

The wife and I were talking about that over a Martini tonight. I'm retired/disabled and mostly bored. I have always wanted a perfect stereo system.
    .....So what is that (the wife asked)?
    My best answer is this.... (Martini plus a glass of red).... If you were to be blindfolded and someone played a piece of music, you'd be able to point at the drummer, the bass player, the piano etc. but you would not be able to point at the speakers..... I have heard such systems.

I am cursed with the obsession of making things. That's probably why I became a machinist 30 something years ago. So I have come up with a design that looks good on the computer and would like to try it. If it doesn't work, then I'll try something else. Maybe one day I will get it right, but I hope to have fun trying it, no matter....

Today....
    A two way system
    2235s on the bottom in enclosures that look good on paper and are made of MDF or HDF
    Maybe some 2446s on top with wooden Tractrix horns (yet another project).

I have some CNC mills and a few wood working tools and a lot of time

You just never know
    Ah I see said the blind man as he picked up his fiddle and saw.

Good project and great reasons for getting started. I wouldn't restrict yourself to the 2235 necessarily , however since you have a plan that involves a large format horn you should be able to use the horn down to 5-600 Hz , to my ear at least this gets you away from the issues at the top end of the 2235's range.
    Anyway since Lee has come up with one for you I would snag that and post a WTB ad in the Marketplace section and see what comes up. There will be one out there for you , just be patient.

That'll get you started at least and by the time you get your boxes completed I'll wager you have another at hand. Job done.

BTW all this is a fairy tale and worthless without pics , thats the rules around here. Good luck. M

Incidentally you mention that you have CNC mills to hand. There is a healthy stream of small machining jobs popping up in these forums , you know flanges and so on for obsolete drivers etc etc. You could be the go to guy. You could machine your own mass rings in any case.
    I'll bet there would be some take up for acrylic phase plugs for slot tweets. Lots of our boys would like the 077 look.

Name:  077%20open.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  53.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Why are you looking for mass rings?? The 2235 kit comes with them and adding a 35 gram mass ring to a 2225 will not make it a 2235.

Rob
    I talked with the local official JBL reconer (Morgan Sound, Lynnwood) and he says that JBL doesn't have any 2235 kits available but (officially) may have some in May which he scoffed at. The guy I use, Around The Sound in Seattle, says he can match up the various components of the recone to get an aftermarket equivalent, but I'd have to come up with the mass rings. I've used this guy for the last 20 years or so and he has done (what I think is) pretty nice work for me.

Hi Greg. If you want a life-like system, I wouldn't take a 2235 as a bass driver. Instead look for its bigger brother, the 18" 2245. It has more impact. It is basically the same driver, just bigger. I find the 2235 "tiny" compared to the 2245... Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Hi Greg. If you want a life-like system, I wouldn't take a 2235 as a bass driver. Instead look for its bigger brother, the 18" 2245. It has more impact. It is basically the same driver, just bigger. I find the 2235 "tiny" compared to the 2245... Just sayin'.

......aahhh......another project looms on the horizon.....

And I have 2235H in my 4343b

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    The only ones I'm aware of are the B380, 4344, 4355, and 4430. Which means, as others have mentioned, they will be expensive and not the best source for parting components.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    And I have 2235H in my 4343b
    I'd use them, too, if I had a pair of 4343B, but I believe they originally came with 2231H, right?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I am not sure, but looking at the catalogs can give the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'd use them, too, if I had a pair of 4343B, but I believe they originally came with 2231H, right?

Obsolete
    The 4343B was loaded with the 2231H from the factory.

Thread Information