Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    MFSL copy of SWCB/BMW/GQ ... the channels REVERSED ...
    Is it really better than an LP from 1970?
    Mine is CBS - made in Holland 1970. I love it! It is my ORIGINAL, no one has ever reversed it!

And yes - in the beginning I did not listen to speakers either. I used an electrostatic headphone MICRO SEIKI.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Is it really better than an LP from 1970?
    Mine is CBS - made in Holland 1970. I love it! It is my ORIGINAL, no one has ever reversed it!

And yes - in the beginning I did not listen to speakers either. I used an electrostatic headphone MICRO SEIKI.

the QUAD is a real revelation. details that you don't know are there. I don't know if it's an identical take since it is so close or whether the details were edited out. When Santana really gets going, they let out little yelps and vocal signs to each other.

My QUAD copy is a treasured Xmas gift from my son.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

..that 1970 CBS ... usually described as the worst copy available.
    Generally spoken it is said that European pressings were better than American. I don't know. But for me it were always the details wich amazed me most when listening to ABRAXAS with the Micro Seiki phone.

the QUAD is a real revelation. details that you don't know are there. I don't know if it's an identical take since it is so close or whether the details were edited out. When Santana really gets going, they let out little yelps and vocal signs to each other.
    I just threw in my SACD only version of ABRAXAS and switched to DOLBY PLII . of course this is no SQ decoding but it makes sense .
    It is an open question whether they have simply left the SQ encoding.
    Thank you for mentioning ABRAXAS quadro - you made my evening

Angry We like our cans 'round here

Teen Use Machete to Steal Headphones

September 18, 2013, 11:02 am

Portland, Oregon - A teen armed with a machete jumped out of an SUV in SE Portland early today and ripped off another guy's headphones.He then jumped back in the rig, which took off. A few minutes later, the SUV came back. Another person got out of the rig, apologized and gave 21 year old Adam Hampton his headphones back. Police later spotted the SUV, found the machete and arrested 17 year old Javier Coyt. He's facing robbery charges.

http://www.kxl.com/09/18/13/Teen-Use...9&feedID=10446

Wow!!!
    Thats pretty extreme for a set of headphones, must've been on something mighty powerful. If he had done that for an Iphone it would almost be socially acceptable these days.
    Thank God he did not put that machete into service. Guess he doesnt know about those Panasonics I mentioned earlier
    Just Play Music.

One of my favorite Santana songs is "Aquamarine", which unfortunately has the lead guitar solo moronically panning to and fro. Yeesh!

Does anyone know of a version without all that? I think it was on the "Marathon" album.

Koss sells a new foam version of the cushions. I bought a pair as my gel ones were flat.

I tried a pair of those last month. The earcups had collapsed and were very uncomfortable, they were heavy and rather dark. Yes, I remember when we thought they were great, no longer.

My Senn HD-580's are the exact opposite ... (light, comfortable and bright)
    had L25,L36,L40,L120,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408 have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Generally spoken it is said that European pressings were better than American. I don't know. But for me it were always the details wich amazed me most when listening to ABRAXAS with the Micro Seiki phone.

I just threw in my SACD only version of ABRAXAS and switched to DOLBY PLII . of course this is no SQ decoding but it makes sense .
    It is an open question whether they have simply left the SQ encoding.
    Thank you for mentioning ABRAXAS quadro - you made my evening
    So I whipped out my MoFi Gold CD of Abraxas and dubbed to minidisk and then recorded the Quad LP copy to the same disk. The portable MD player drives the HD-25-1 mk2's better than the various pods. Cranked it to the MAX and sat back for some critical (and mind numbing) listening.
    The Sennheisers just seem to scale right on up with no distortion. Recently found these reviews : http://digitalbloggers.com/chriswils...-hd-25-review/
    and http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-...speed=noscript

which notes : The HD25-1 has a neutral, monitor-grade sound. A lot of headphones may claim that they are pro-monitor tools, and how their sound is neutral, but the HD25-1 is the real deal.
    Overall, I really like the HD25-1. Neutral and balanced, yet also dynamic and punchy. (Most neutral phones lack punch, and most punchy phones lack neutrality and balance). It drives nicely straight from your DAP, but plug in an amp and it’ll go from punchy to seismic! Good sound, solid build quality, and a cool looking design too!

Sennheiser HD 25-II headphones
    Iconic headphones are the choice of DJs across the world

DJ EXPO 2013: Introduced in 1988, Sennheiser's HD 25 headphones have attained iconic status as the choice of DJs and music professionals the world over.
    The HD 25s made their commercial debut in in 1988. They were originally developed for outside broadcasting, featuring rotatable capsules that were ideal for one-ear monitoring and offered impressive attenuation of background noise, while staying comfortable for long periods of use.
    From 1989 to 2004 British Airways used the HD 25 BA for Concorde passengers. Due to their excellent performance in high-noise environments, they were perfectly suited for passenger use on planes, blocking engine and wind noise with their closed design and secure fit. Music professionals and performers traveling in style took notice. Passengers liked them so much; they occasionally took the headphones with them.

All parts are replaceable , just like any good pro gear. if mine ever got gone for some reason , would surely look for another pair.
    (note. would NOT buy the cheaper "SP" variant, just the "-1" or maybe the new blingy AL version )

is this for real ??

Future Thinking | 28 November 2013 Bringing cinematic sound to your mobile phone

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131128-movie-sized-sound-on-your-mobile

most likely MUTE the mic
    Exactly right.

Tested with an app that appears in Device Manager/
    ( headphone Type ) / Properties and everthing works.

Now, if I can just get Google Talk to work I would have something to use the mic on.

with many of you endorsing STAX , I bought some today (story in Speaker Safari thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    All Stax for me since 1975, excepting some old Beyers for computer use. Once you go Stax, you never look bacx.
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    After hearing a rather expensive set of STAX headphones in the early 90s
    it was hard to go back to something less... so I haven't (not for serious listening).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Friend of mine had a set of Stax electrostatic headphones back in the very early 80s. Those were sweet.
    are there procedures to perform ? precautions to take ?

Leave them turned on for a bit before listening.
    Be careful if cleaning them (fragile diaphragms).
    Not sure if you can get replacement earpads, but might be worthwhile if worn (normal headphone issue)
    Make sure the pins to the dedicated amp are clean.

Hope you enjoy them

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Not sure if you can get replacement earpads, but might be worthwhile if worn (normal headphone issue)
    Make sure the pins to the dedicated amp are clean.

Hope you enjoy them
    thx for reply G ..

although the seal on the box was broken (GW ?) , they appear as if
    never out of that box. Everything bright & shiny , not even a stray hair
    in the earcups or fingerprints/smudges . Owners sheet was under the cardboard insert. Mine look condition-wise exactly like this photo. Opening
    the box was like a NOS time capsule. I'll let them charge overnight and see
    what I've really got tomorrow.

Pads are soft & supple. And being circumaural , they are
    pretty comfortable too ..

found a really good resource on this model

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/new-sr-3.htm

"These Stax New SR-3 electrostatic headphones are forty years old, and still outperform conventional dynamic headphones like the Sennheiser HD 800 and Ultrasone Edition 8 in many ways. These electrostatics are far cleaner and more open sounding."

Ken's review notes: "Frequency Range
    Probably rated 30 - 25,000 Hz, but I had no problems getting 20 Hz out of it. "
    KR's pic

I'll let them charge overnight and see
    what I've really got tomorrow.
    OKAY , we all know that wasn't going to happen

I wired them into the living room Denon receiver right after dinner. EVERYTHING WORKED
    They will certainly expose any issues with your source gear ,,, didn't realize that I had an FM crosstalk problem till now.
    The Stax must have been a real revelation in 1970. How they stayed in this condition so long is beyond me. My only clue is that the speaker output lines that are input to the energizer were broken some time back. They were crudely spliced with 1970's looking electrical tape.
    This morning I cut out about 2 inches before & after the bad splices and restripped the wire , soldered the new connections and insulated with shrink casing. had intended to remove the wires completely and add new ones, but after opening the energizer case , it was a rats nest and I'd have had to desolder them from the PC board and replace , after disassembling everything.

The method I used was fine.
    I put on the MD of Orbison's "Mystery Girl" and was amazed. My my my what bass
    The earcups are large and the set is not very heavy. They are certainly keepers, tho I know these aren't TOTL or near it for the brand. heck, they are 45 years old too.

In the past , there have been some Jantzen electrostats here and the sound was mesmerizing , BUT the image was only about an inch wide .... move your head a tad and you would lose it ... that's gotta be why the technology is so perfect for cans.

Why didn't you guys turn me on to these earlier ??

Thread Information