Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    its hard too see them when listening , sound kinda trumps appearance
    I'm an occasional headphone user so I have to be seduced by every aspect to spend that money. In this case the color and wood combination offset the sound. Just didn't feel right.

I say the same thing to people who look at used cars but don't like the color: Hard to see that when you're driving! But your brain knows what you look like in it even if you can't see it yourself. If the picture in your mind doesn't match the image of yourself, you just don't want the color. Probably why I've never owned a Calypso Red or Island Green BMW 5-series. I can handle white, especially the part about never having to wash it!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I can handle white, especially the part about never having to wash it!
    when buying new .... I usually go for silver ,,,,but both my 535 & 540 have been white. Did not suspect how hi-viz white is. Now I like it.

the 535 had tan leather (that did show cracks easily) but the 540 with black leather hides them better (and I treated with conditioner)

heated seats forever (my lower back thanks you)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

What's with the black line between your doors and the rocker panels?

I believe I have seven white BMWs, if I count my '66 R27.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

What's with the black line between your doors and the rocker panels?
    It was that way when I got it ... looks pro done/nice job ? I do like my wheels a little better. They are 2 piece BBS with titanium bolts and hidden valves. (one of the bolts is a fake ... you have to remove it and get the steel valve out of the glovebox and screw it in) , sounds like a pain and it is, but don't really do it that often.

It was that way when I got it ... looks pro done/nice job ? I do like my wheels a little better. They are 2 piece BBS with titanium bolts and hidden valves. (one of the bolts is a fake ... you have to remove it and get the steel valve out of the glovebox and screw it in) , sounds like a pain and it is, but don't really do it that often.
    But that black part is the actual door bottom edge which on all '95s was body-color. I'm assuming yours is a '95, though must be an early one since you don't have the repeater on the fender.

Yeah, the wheels are beautiful. Mine are stock BMW sport-package 2-piece BBS made for the E39 5-series. The current Alpina wheels have a valve hidden under the center cap which fills the tire through hollow spokes. I have normal valve stems!

But that black part is the actual door bottom edge which on all '95s was body-color. I'm assuming yours is a '95, though must be an early one since you don't have the repeater on the fender.

Yeah, the wheels are beautiful. Mine are stock BMW sport-package 2-piece BBS made for the E39 5-series. The current Alpina wheels have a valve hidden under the center cap which fills the tire through hollow spokes. I have normal valve stems!
    You made me go look ....generally I'm close and don't much see it down so low.

It's a black rubber strip with a channel in it and pushes up onto the door bottom. Size is exactly perfect to go into the body recesses. Almost like the draft strip that's on the bottom of your front door to keep cold air from coming underneath, must be made for that car application since the channel for door bottom (and overhang) and width are exactly right.

I just haven't looked at enough 540's to notice it ....I think (if memory serves) that 94 had the 5 speed auto where the 95 didn't ? Been a long time since the reg was in sight and don't remember how it was listed ... seem to recall that it more like a 94 1/2.

I just haven't looked at enough 540's to notice it ....I think (if memory serves) that 94 had the 5 speed auto where the 95 didn't ? Been a long time since the reg was in sight and don't remember how it was listed ... seem to recall that it more like a 94 1/2.
    For 1995 the tenth digit in the VIN would be an "S". 1994 that would be an "R". 5-speed automatic was offered either year. 6-speed manual was only offered in '95. There was no 1996 5-series offered in the USA.

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/pro...s/TMG81_JBL_US

I never realized Tim McGraw was the one to look to as an expert on tuning Headphones - who's next? How about Pete Townshend, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, or any ot the other tinnitus suffering classic rock stars?

BTW, gizmodo had an interesting article on the (now dead) relationship between Monster Cable and Dr. Dre's Beats headphones - it's a good read:
    http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-d...lost-the-world
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/pro...s/TMG81_JBL_US

I never realized Tim McGraw was the one to look to as an expert on tuning Headphones - who's next? How about Pete Townshend, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, or any ot the other tinnitus suffering classic rock stars?
    I don't quite understand that phenomenon either

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    BTW, gizmodo had an interesting article on the (now dead) relationship between Monster Cable and Dr. Dre's Beats headphones - it's a good read:
    http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-d...lost-the-world
    that was kinda interesting ... both sides of that one are detestable.

some highlights ...(maybe lowlights ?) from the article

Monster expanded into pricey HDMI cables, surge protectors, and... five different kinds of screen-cleaner. Unnecessary, overpriced items like these have earned Monster a reputation over the years as ripoff artists, but that belies the company's ability to make audio products that are actually pretty great. The truth is, audio cable is a lot like expensive basketball shoes: There are a couple hundred people in the world who really need the best, and the rest of us probably can't tell the difference. Doesn't matter: Through a combination of slick persuasion and status-pushing, Noel Lee carved out a small empire.

The Dr. Dre task force took Monster's audio gear and pimped it, tirelessly, as a gadget status symbol without rival. That was the plan—period. Marketing, Iovine told Kevin Lee, would take too long. Education would take too long. Instead, the strategy was to enchant the public: Beats would be "the hottest product to have, and sound will be a Trojan horse. And that's what we did. Beats was in every single music video," says Kevin. Iovine made sure Beats had prominent placement across Interscope's sterling roster, infiltrating the money and product lust-addled brains of video-watching America.

It worked. Disposable income was disposed of in the hundreds upon hundreds of millions. "Kids did go into a Best Buy and bought Beats not because it sounded cool, but because it made them look cool," admits Kevin. The Lees were putting their audiophilic necks on the line to prop up what was, essentially, a fashion company.

Yesterday, Monster announced that it is partnering with rapper, mega-producer, and all-around celebrity Swizz Beatz. The company's new flagship line of headphones are called the "Diamond Tears," plated in mirrored, gem-faceted plastic with a plump fake jewel stuck on each side.

I got the SE-50's at the Navy Exchange at Memphis, yukk. Went back to the $29 Koss I'd bought from Allied in '69. Got some PRO4AA at the Subic "main change". Comfortable but not exciting. I had a Sony set, $59, bought around 1986, Not bad. Then a free Yamaha pair needing cord repairs, not bad.

DIY Audio.com has a large section re headphones & headphone amps including designs for amps with "cross-fade" which render more realistic imaging. I think I'll check those out.

I prefer the "closed" design.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post
    I got the SE-50's at the Navy Exchange at Memphis, yukk. Went back to the $29 Koss I'd bought from Allied in '69. Got some PRO4AA at the Subic "main change". Comfortable but not exciting.
    Still have some SE-50's ..sound OK, but are very heavy. Still see those Koss's at thrifts (they must have sold a lot) ...the ear pads have collapsed by now and hurt when I try them on.

I mail ordered a Pioneer SX-9000 receiver and Pioneer CS-77A speakers from the PACEX catalog and never saw them until after separation. That combo kept me happy for years, but still lusted after the UN-affordable L-100 Centuries. Moved on later to AR-3's.

Yup that PX at Subic was fun, but on R&R to Japan in '69, I took the train up to the PX at Yokuska , now THAT one was really fun. Large 2 story brick buildings ..one was just watches/cameras/stereo. Never saw so much gear in one place. The memorable part of that trip was leaving DaNang at 104 degrees (in my little white Good Humor Man costume) and landing at Yokota 2 hours later and it was 23 degrees/snowing. I rented an overcoat for the week.

Color does matter

[QUOTE=BMWCCA;349264]I'm an occasional headphone user so I have to be seduced by every aspect to spend that money. In this case the color and wood combination offset the sound. Just didn't feel right.

I say the same thing to people who look at used cars but don't like the color: Hard to see that when you're driving! . ]

Not true.....
    Flat black hoods on Race Cars is a must....White colors ......cause glare (in the sun) and fatigue....

and, worse, reminded me of everything that is hideous about the Maserati TC, with apologies to T-dome who seems to love the bastard offspring of Lee Iacocca and Alejandro de Tomaso with a bit of Chrysler Daytona and Mitsubishi thrown in just to really screw it up.
    it's in the news

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/1...e-road.html/6/

Lol... I thought you were going here:

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Car_Au...i-Edition.html

... as a headphone edition is purported as being next.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Lol... I thought you were going here:

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Car_Au...i-Edition.html

... as a headphone edition is purported as being next.
    The advertisement says: ". . . opulent yet understated"

Is that possible?

opulent |ˈäpyələnt|
    adjective
    ostentatiously rich and luxurious or lavish : the opulent comfort of a limousine.

understated |ˌəndərˈstātid|
    adjective
    presented or expressed in a subtle and effective way : understated elegance.

ostentatious |ˌästənˈtā sh əs|
    adjective
    characterized by vulgar or pretentious display; designed to impress or attract notice : books that people buy and display ostentatiously but never actually finish.

Thread Information