Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I'm assuming that AROUND means something that keeps the pressure off the ear
    such as a surrounding ring of foam (or other means) and that OVER means that it
    sits on the ear... In that sense, definitely AROUND or at least mostly so (some nice
    phones sort of do both).
    usually when I say circumaural or supra-aural people get confused , so ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    did their policy change ..(from an old thread .....)
    That was six-years ago. They have a rather large display in the store with dozens of cans running off several of their NuForce headphone amps. Just hanging there waiting to audition. None of the cheaper folding models I wanted for my daughter at that time but plenty of high-dollar stuff to play with now.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I've never seen a Crutchfield store, only their catalogs

following my own WIKI link above yielded some interesting info ..did NOT know that ESS (whose bookshelf speakers I REALLY like) also produced headphones. No longer available , but the technology is licensed to Precide of Switzerland.

wud sure enjoy a demo of their cans

http://www.precide.ch/eng/eergo/ergo.htm

(couldn't seen to pull up their prices, but ASSUME ..not cheap)

http://www.precide.ch/pergo/i_new_ergoamp_kh6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    For most pure listening, OPEN
    For noise isolation (traveling/board monitoring), or not bothering others in a quiet location, or for extended bass, CLOSED

I'm assuming that AROUND means something that keeps the pressure off the ear
    such as a surrounding ring of foam (or other means) and that OVER means that it
    sits on the ear... In that sense, definitely AROUND or at least mostly so (some nice
    phones sort of do both).
    guess I picked the right ones for my "go to/keeper" pair. Story is that the 580 was underpriced when it was Senn's TOTL and sold too many. They shortly superceeded it with the HD-600 that had mostly cosmetic changes , BUT a much higher price. Used 580's sometimes go for more than I paid for mine, new.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've never seen a Crutchfield store, only their catalogs
    There are only two, both of them in Virginia. Bill Crutchfield has lived in our town all his life. He's done well and the company has great integrity and is easy to deal with on returns or warranty. They certainly don't offer everything and they seem to think the world ends with Thiel and Polk though they have recently begun carrying the JBL Studio series so I may have to go have a listen.

Their outlet/return department is often fun. I recently picked up a Sanus component rack with glass door that was marked down from a list of $749 to $150.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    There are only two, both of them in Virginia. Bill Crutchfield has lived in our town all his life. He's done well and the company has great integrity and is easy to deal with on returns or warranty. They certainly don't offer everything and they seem to think the world ends with Thiel and Polk though they have recently begun carrying the JBL Studio series so I may have to go have a listen.
    I guess you are lucky. At one time we had a number of big box electronic stores here, but now seem to be down to only BestBuy. (and Fry's , if you don't mind a 50 mile RT drive), we do have some small boutique audio shops, but they are still like the 70's ..snotty & expensive. Our main used audio sales/repair guy just abt rules the whole Willamette Valley , he was able to do repairs for Mr. widget that sounded difficult down in the Bay Area. (as i recall...waiting times were long+expensive, but our guy Doug is a local gem)

was listening to a Cat Stevens MD last night on the Senn HD-25-1 mk2's , I heard detail that must be getting masked on the floor speakers.

trying to recall the Fostex's that I liked so much ..they didn't have a model number ...but they were named something like "natural phase" ...tried to find online, but could never locate.

so I've gotten more time with the HD-25-1 mk2's .....really,really like these cans .. ...felt like they could be even better if not running from the iTouch's measly power.

http://badassheadphones.com/sennheis...5-1-ii-review/

last week the latest "Audio Adviser" catalog came and I usually read it in bed (to put myself to sleep ) ....they are big on pushing headphone amps (at big bux) and I got to wondering if that solution would improve the Senns even more.

I put that thought away, but while cleaning my audio graveyard , ran into my old Yamaha YST-99CD ...its a table top CD player/clock radio with a remote and 2 AUX and 1 tape input/output. Headphone jack. Pretty deluxe little unit that churns out 15wpc.

ran the pod into it , the Senns out for listening and WOW .. , what a great little headboard setup. They really benefit from that extra power and the Yammy doesn't seem to color the sound any. Not a bad use for those old devices with amps, just sitting around.

Oh yeah, this eBay seller is a little optimistic
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-H...item35bfc7884f

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II - Closed-Back Stereo Headphones

Item condition:
    New

Price:
    US $8,461.68

AKG K450's, Etymotic ER4A in ears, Senn HD600's and Sony MDR1r's.
    The Senns are wonderful, the ER4's are better but irritate my ears after a bit, the Sony's are
    big fat and smooth and the AKG's are the bargain of the decade.

HD600 (not the bullshit HD650 ) is my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by ratitifb View Post
    HD600 (not the bullshit HD650 ) is my favorite
    see post #19

"Story is that the 580 was under priced when it was Senn's TOTL and sold too many. They shortly superseded it with the HD-600 that had mostly cosmetic changes , BUT a much higher price. Used 580's sometimes go for more than I paid for mine, new."

so the 600 is same drivers as 580 , just a slightly changed look. I've always loved them , comfortable as hell. The HD-25 11 mk2 blew me away and makes the 580 sound soft and less detailed. (I can wear the 580 for longer time tho)

Of all the brands at all the prices I preferred the sound of the Sennheiser HD-598 to anything there. Amazon had them recently for very close to $200 but I couldn't pull the trigger because they were so ugly with their beige leather and burl-wood accents. Sennheiser says the design was inspired by "European Sport Sedans" but they're closer to a Lexus and, worse, reminded me of everything that is hideous about the Maserati TC,

yeah, BMW would never do something like that

yeah, BMW would never do something like that
    That blob of crap around the radio and in front of the gear shift are not BMW parts. Add on after-market junk, maybe, but not stock! What happened to the ASC??

That blob of crap around the radio and in front of the gear shift are not BMW parts. Add on after-market junk, maybe, but not stock! What happened to the ASC??
    I don't have those parts, but this is how my 540 came ...lots of burl ... PRNDL knob IS add-on.

My interior is just like yours but with the dark Walnut and not the burl-wood. And mine's a stick so less wood in the center, more black leather, the ASC also brings more black to the center console, and the black gear-shift boot and black leather Motorsport short knob. Maybe T-dome can supply a shot of the Chrysler-Maserati interior for comparison!

I don't think I'd have minded the Sennheisers as much had they done them in black leather even with the wood trim!

Maybe T-dome can supply a shot of the Chrysler-Maserati interior for comparison!

I don't think I'd have minded the Sennheisers as much had they done them in black leather even with the wood trim!
    its hard too see them when listening , sound kinda trumps appearance ...My HD-25ii-mk2's are all black, industrial looking, NOT beautiful or stylish ...but oh, the sounds they make ..

Thread Information